Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Transfer PR3 Domain/Site

castledine
Trust:

Transfer PR3 Domain/Site

Hi all

In the process of purchasing an existing PR3 Domain name/site and transferring Domain name from "GoDaddy" to "My Domains" [my domain provider]. Step 1 under way...just going through the authorization code process.

Step 2 is what I am confused about. Obviously want to amend sole access to my newly acquired website to add content etc. The current owner is with HostGator as I am, and the site is a simple WordPress site.

Questions

1. Can I access the website via my existing HostGator account if I change the name servers when the domain name is successfully transfer to my domain provider. Assuming of course that I will need to add the new site details via "Add Domain" in my HostGator account.

2. If so will this action preserve the PR3 ranking and all the content within the site......that's what the purchase is for.

OR

3. Have I completely missed the boat and have to do something totally different to achieve my goals. I have asked HostGator for direction and a quote to transfer and they have asked me to provide the following details so they can quote me.

Extract from their email...................
.....Before we can give an accurate quote on this transfer we will need some more information. Once we have the following information, we'll be happy to give you a quote for your transfer.

Old Hosting Account IP:
Old Hosting Account Domain:
Old Hosting Account cPanel username:
Old Hosting Account cPanel password:

New HostGator Hosting Account Primary Domain:
New HostGator Hosting Account cPanel/WHM username:
New HostGator Hosting Account cPanel/WHM password:

Do you have an SSL Certificate?
If yes, what domain is the SSL for?:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peter
Peter http://www.myresveratrolreview.com

Click Here Now - To Protect Yourself Against Cancer, Arthritis, Diabetes, Alzheimer's.
Read what this Super Antioxidant from red wine has done for me. Actual results....no Pen names.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
your site may experience a little down time during the transfer process (at most a few hours I would think) but it shouldn't affect your PR. What you have to be careful of if you buy PR domains is that some unscrupulous domain sellers use tricky tactics to artificially inflate the PR through redirects and other means, and then once they sell the domain, they remove those links which are inflating the PR of the domain.

PR relies on the links coming to your site, and doesn't really matter about what registrar you have it set to, as long as you get some content on the domain asap. I have all my domains registered with Namecheap myself, although I have bought a few through GoDaddy, and I haven't had any trouble with transfers.

what type of site is it? if it is a wordpress site, Wordpress.org actually has a really good tutorial that I just used myself to transfer a site. took about 45 min of actual work to do.
http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

castledine
Trust:
Thanks James. Made sure I checked out the site using a variety of tools to make sure the backlinks to the site has some juice. ie SEO Spyglass, DomainTools.com and a couple of others so I am happy it will hold up under the pressure of transfer.
I am learning there is much more to moving ownership of a site and its contents other than just buying a PR domain however.
Thanks for the link. Have read it but have to admit it is all a bit too technical for me. May have to seek some assistance in moving it but will need the cpanel details of the previous owner it would appear. Obtaining this info from them may be a challenge.

Click Here Now - To Protect Yourself Against Cancer, Arthritis, Diabetes, Alzheimer's.
Read what this Super Antioxidant from red wine has done for me. Actual results....no Pen names.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Yeh, if you get the site, they should give you that info, or at least know how to give you the site install. If you run into any trouble, I recommend emailing support here. Mike is awesome, and one of my two go to guys when I hit a techie problem that I cant figure out myself (which happens a lot.)

castledine
Trust:
The vendor is not happy to provide his shared cpanel details which in a way I can understand, but why market a domain name and not expect to transfer full ownership of the site. Will continue to negotiate an outcome. Perhaps using an escrow will work.

BTW, have you ever used any of the people advertising on Fiverr. Some offer cheap service including Domain/Site transfers, but I guess you can get what you pay for.

Appreciate your advice and support James.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I have never used fiverr for site transfers.

Did you buy a high pr domain, or did you purchase the site? there is a difference. Buying a domain only gives you the domain itself, not the content that they had on that domain.

IF you went to a site like FLippa and bought a prebuilt site, then they should transfer all the content that came with that site to you.

castledine
Trust:
Ahhh - that may certainly be my problem. I did think that may have been the case as this issue has escalated but did not realize there was a difference to be honest.
If I have just purchased a high PR domain and then go about setting up my own Wordpress.org site, will the high PR remain on a new site with little to no content to start with. I am guessing your answer is not going to fill me with confidence.ha ha.
Looks like my learning curve just went sharply upwards.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
actually, PR is determined by links to the page, so unless they are using some black hat tactics to inflate the PR to sell it, the PR shouldnt change. you just need to get at least 1 page of content online ASAP.
One thing I like to do also is add it to Google webmaster central asap. every once in a while, check the ERRORS page in there. as they crawl links to the pages that dont exist anymore, you will get the urls in the page not found Errors. . I use Simple 301 Redirection plugin to create redirects for all those pages from the old site owner so that you can keep any link juice they had. if you have a relevant page on your site, point them there. otherwise point them at either the home page or a product review page.

castledine
Trust:
OK...got it.

Will take your advice James.

Many, many thanks for your most valuable input. Always learn a lot from your feedback in the forum.

This topic was started on May 08, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.