Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Too many ideas - my head is about to explode. Help!

wendy
Trust:

Too many ideas - my head is about to explode. Help!

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I just joined a couple of days ago and I've been spending time reading past threads.

But now, I really need some advice.

I became extremely interested in affiliate marketing about two weeks ago. It became an instant passion. I did tons of research and realized, I totally have the aptitude for this. Most of the things one has to do to promote a site I have done a million times before to promote other Web sites and other projects (writing, research, Web design blogs, submitting links, etc, etc). And these are all things I enjoy doing!

I never thought of myself as a marketer. The tech stuff comes easy for me, but the psychology behind marketing isn't as effortless. Also, even though I have read a ton and watched video tutorials, I am having a hard time understanding Adwords. Adwords is really kicking my butt right now.

I suppose, like many others who are new to affiliate marketing, I'm starting out on a small budget and I am desperate to increase my income. I'm not doing this because I want to get rich quickly. I'm doing it because I am excited by the challenge.

And that is what my problem is. I have so many ideas! And I'm trying to explore them all at once! I've got five Web sites in development:

-a dog training review site *broken link*
-a poodle-related site filled with affiliate products
-a weight loss site
-a lasik surgery site (for Adsense revenue)
-a new age/self help site

I also want to do a relationship-oriented site.

I'm feeling so overwhelmed right now. I'm still absorbing tons of information about affiliate marketing while bouncing back and forth between one site idea to another. I'm trying to relax and take it one project at a time, but I don't know which one to pick and focus on.

I don't mind the idea of investing time into building a site, but, truth be told, I want to see results as quickly as possible. I don't have to make a zillion dollars in a week, but I need some sort of affirmation to let me know I'm on the track. Do you know what I mean?

How do I approach this so that I don't burn out yet am able to stay the course and create success?
Last edited by michellerana on 18 Feb 10 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove broken link

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
hey Wendy,

Its good to see that youre enthusiastic, but its easy to spread yourself too thin. I think you really need to sit down and think about which site you want to concentrate on. I would think the one you would enjoy working on the most would be a good choice.

I think Mark would agree with me in saying that its better to have 1 quality site than 5 crap sites.

I know how it feels to want to make as much money ASAP, but in the long run you will be better off creating quality sites. Just be patient and it will all happen for you!

If youve got anymore questions, just shoot.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Hi Wendy and Welcome :D

I will give you a few points to start with.

Focus on 1 site to start out. If you spread yourself thin over a wide area you will not get the results you are most likely looking for, especially if you are new to this. Adwords is not hard, it just takes time to learn to use properly as anything else. Do NOT rush anything and last but definately not least, do NOT let your emotional feelings dictate how you run the business.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Hi Wendy,

My head is about to explode. I need some advice.

:lol: s---l---o---w down... take a few deep breaths. You sound just like me a couple of years ago... so many ideas, so little time, except I struggle with the tech stuff and the marketing comes natural.

I can understand you're wanting to make money as quickly as you can but trying to work on so many sites is not the answer. In fact it's probably counter-productive. I would as other posters have said try to focus on one at a time... not following that advice has cost me countless dollars and time. :lol:

Follow Mark's 90 day plan for one site, this will allow you to get more done and your site will start producing results more quickly. This will give you the affirmaton that you feel you need to stay on track.

Best Wishes,
PC
wendy
Trust:
Thanks everyone!

I really needed some advice from people who could relate what I was going through. Your words helped.

I decided to focus on the weight loss Web site--thinking that, with the new year coming up, it would be a good time to market a weight loss site.

I vow to become a regular poster and I hope I get the chance to offer all of you some help as you have given me.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Good to know your heads sorted out now :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
sean06 wrote:Good to know your heads sorted out now :)

yeah the exploding head could have been really messy.:shock:

Good going Wendy, have fun!

PC
superaff
Trust:
I'm late, but I'do agree with everybody here: Focus on one site when you are new.

I am in affiliate marketing for 11 months, I started with several sites and none is a success...

I've just finished my first site with affilorama roadmap and I will add it now for review.

Create one site, make money with this site, and when you understand the whole process, you will be able to create more sites in lesser time.
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
superaff wrote:I'm late, but I'do agree with everybody here: Focus on one site when you are new.

I am in affiliate marketing for 11 months, I started with several sites and none is a success...

I've just finished my first site with affilorama roadmap and I will add it now for review.

Create one site, make money with this site, and when you understand the whole process, you will be able to create more sites in lesser time.

To expand on this.... you can take half of the money earned from the one proper site in order to expedite the creation of 3 more.............rinse and repeat....

Adrian,
wendy
Trust:
adrian wrote:To expand on this.... you can take half of the money earned from the one proper site in order to expedite the creation of 3 more.............rinse and repeat....

Adrian,

OMG! Adrian! I never even thought of that concept! You're right! Profits from one site would allow me to outsource a lot of the smaller tasks which would help things move along faster so I can move from one project to another with ease.

Brilliant! Thank you!

And thank you, superaff, for sharing your experience.
superaff
Trust:
Yes Adrian,

Excellent idea!

I hope t will work for me.
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

alvin
Trust:
Wendy,

Welcome to the world of Internet Marketing. Its going to be quite a ride!

Stay focused and take it slow (like what the rest here are saying) and don't give up! You might not see any progress for weeks on end, then suddenly the sales will start pouring in.

Anyway, here's what you stated as your niches:

Wendy wrote:-a dog training review site *broken link*
-a poodle-related site filled with affiliate products
-a weight loss site
-a lasik surgery site (for Adsense revenue)
-a new age/self help site

I also want to do a relationship-oriented site.

I would recommend you drill down and look for a more focused niche. Watch Mark's video again on finding a niche. Think more focused rather than throwing your net wide.

For example, there are just so many weight loss sites on the Internet, how about "weight loss with organic food" (or something like that). Continue to drill down until you get a much more narrow niche and check that term on your favorite Keyword Research tool to see if there's enough of a demand for it.

In the long run, you'll get much better traffic and sales that way.