Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Too many ideas - jumping from one idea to another

rudolf55
Trust:

Too many ideas - jumping from one idea to another

Hi all,

am I the only one who is jumping from one marketing idea to another? It's been like this for years now and have trouble focussing on one website. Most of the time, I have this fantastic idea about a website and I start making a working website, do keyword research, and eventually register a domain name.

Usually I don't get much further than completing the website, I manage to add some content and all, but aside from that, when it comes to promoting it, I get stuck. Heck, I just let it be with that and move on to another project. I was wondering if anyone else was this jumpy about ideas, and have this explosive behaviour creating internet marketing concepts.

I must have registered hundreds of domain names in my life and only a few of them were successful, mostly due to luck. I was secretly wondering if I could turn this 'negative' trait into something positive so I can still make money online. I tried selling domains with designs on some specific buy/sell websites but have had little luck so far. Also, people usually only want to have the domain though the design, I noticed, can give that extra edge.

So yeah, I guess I'm wondering how you guys stay focussed, especially those who are like me and have more good ideas for web/IM concepts than they can handle.

Also, if anyone knows how to turn this trait into something positive/money making that'd be great too.

Rudolf
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Set a limit on what you're going to do.

If you start on something, don't start anything new until you've reached a certain milestone... whether that's XXX traffic, XXX income, or whatever.

You have to really test your ideas and drill down deep enough to really hit gold.

In any market, there are certain "secrets" that only people on the inside know about.

The way to learn those secrets is to stay in one place and learn how the market works.

After all, I can guarantee you that whatever market you're in, there are going to be people who focus 100% of their working time on really mastering that market, their message, their traffic, their autoresponder, etc.

And if you're not willing to do the same, then you simply can't compete with them.

I'm not saying you have to the best person in your market, but if you're not willing to focus and refine your marketing, then don't be disappointed if you're only the 50th best guy in your niche.

These days, I'd rather be excellent at selling one or two things than average at selling 30 things.

Hope this helps.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Rudolf,

I can relate. I tend to have all this ideas, and it's distracting because it takes you away from what you really need to do. Have you tried having a little black book where you can store your ideas? So each time you get this flash of inspiration, you can write it down for future reference, then go back to what you're supposed to be doing. I've tried this and it works well for me. :)

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

nessa900
Trust:
i call that chasing rabbits, which is what most of us affiliate marketers biggest problem at one time or another as well, but I always remember what i learned in affiloblueprint, 1. complete the entire course with one website. 2. repeat all that worked for that website again and again., 3. repeat affiloblueprint on a different website in a different niche,.4. go back to number 1
Dale Dupree
http://seoharrisburg.com

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
1. complete the entire course with one website.

This is what we always suggest: stick with one course ( whether it's an Affilorama course or another course) and see it through. You are standing to lose much more by going from one course to the next. It is a waste of resources, particularly, financial resources. Once you've made a decision to purchase a course, see it through and make it work, before investing on another.

Have a good weekend!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

kallayprasanth05
Trust:
It is a great suggestion from Cecille. Yes, I too did and am doing the same mistake. Of course as time would have it I have been practicing to see off too many distractions online. The distractions in the form of luring advertisements can be cited as one of the reasons of idea jumping. I am trying to curb my temptations to fall a prey to compelling distractions online. I am still doing my best to focus on one program and one IM course as Cecille pointed out.
trawlers44
Trust:
I think that we all have been there and I know for a fact that that is one of the biggest reasons why people struggle to be successful online!

You just have to do one thing and one traffic source and do not move on from either until you master them.
Because the same thing goes for traffic sources ! Stick with one until you master except to scale a winning campaign.
Best of luck
TBone
Struggling to make money online?
This is how I am killing it without Google!
http://jerseyshoremobilemarketing.com/google-sniper-fact

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
I have to admit that my attention is pulled in 20 different directions at any given moment, which has been 90% of my problem from day 1.

(And don't even get me started on that bright shiny object off to the left over there.... Okay... who just looked to their left? :D )

In spite of all this, I think a few things that may be in my favor (as soon as I get some traction) is that there are a few interests that seem to be popping up frequently enough that I'm starting to pay attention to them and figure out how I can use them. One is the work I have going on with my SBB site with my search for self improvement and a balanced life.

But the other big one that has been around since long before I ever thought of doing a web page and is something I'm finally getting to a level I feel comfortable sharing myself with (though I know I still have a long way to go on my journey) is the work I'm starting to do now with my new site in my signature link. For years, I've had an interest in graphics and story telling, and I'm slowly piecing together the things I feel I need to find a way to really start using it.

Over the years, I've gotten fairly adept at using GIMP, and I'm starting to share my experience with other marketers so they can do things on their own, but I'm also making plans to start offering my services (again, really, but in a more focused way) for those who don't want to do it themselves.

Another aspect of my graphics interest has been in 3d graphics, and I am using some of those skills with some of the work I have done (my SBB logo being one, and if my brother ever gets his EmbracingYourLifeToday.com site back up and running, that would be another). But I'm also learning how to do other things, and one of the things I plan on doing as I explore more of my 3d artwork, I'm going to take what I'm learning for affiliate and internet marketing and applying it to sell my artwork through traditional and 3d prints.

The key, I think, is learning how you can take a multitude of interests and focus them in a way that works for you. I feel I'm just a piece or two of the puzzle away from big success. Oh, and the second key is to never give up! The only true failure is to give up. Failing is just feedback on something that didn't work as you expected.

I have to admit, I haven't figured out the traffic thing either, but when I do, watch out, baby! Because I'm going to take off like a rocket!
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

mark schaaf
Trust:
I think this may happen a lot because many people are trying to sell things they see on click bank and many other affiliate networks. If you aren't really into the niche or product you are choosing then after you put the site together and put up a few articles you may run out of things to write about basically because people don't really know a lot about the things they are selling. I know many people try and sell weight loss products but how many people really know much about them, how they work, or what else people need to do to lose weight. Also most products like this unless people plan on doing ppc to try and get traffic and sales they will have to put a lot of articles up in different places on the web, Again if someone doesn't know a lot about the subject they won't be able to write a lot unless they do research on the subject. I will have to admit that sometimes I find it difficult to figure out what to write about next and I know a lot about my niche but I think I have the opposite problem of what I am talking about with too many articles to write but not knowing which one to do now. I do however believe you can have much more success in selling if you don't build a site put up some articles and let it go. I met a guy in Florida who had about 40 small sites that he said he made between 150 and 200 a month on and was thinking why bother if that is all you are getting from each one but then when I thought about it 150 dollars times 40 sites is 6000 dollars a month. So if you could just get focused and pit just a few of the sites you have and get them going well you could just sit back and make the money.
Mark

rudolf55
Trust:
Thanks all for the replies!

I have been seriously thinking of what to do with my life as well. I've been on and off the job market the last couple of years doing all kinds of crappy factory/warehousing work, some of which you literally work at the treadmill. Kinda depressing work really.

I've basically been trying to keep up those jobs and work on my websites in the meantime. But I've lost my focus. One of the main reasons I started doing affiliate/internet marketing was because I didn't know what else to do. I started in 2007, and though I've had success as well I still don't have nearly enough income to say 'I can quit my daytime job'.

Especially lately I've been wondering if internet marketing is the right thing for me. At the same time, right now, I'm thinking that Grady is right. I need to be able to express my other urges as well. As a matter of fact we might not differ that much from eachother - I originally have 'graphical' roots as well, as a child I used to make panoramic pencil drawings creating scenario's from busy city life to nascar races to jungle warfare. Eventually I would start drawing on the computer using programs such as Deluxe Paint Animation and Paint. Then it evolved further to today's programs such as Photoshop and Flash, and Dreamweaver.

Though I managed to graduate from college in graphics design, disaster struck halfway the eduction; I got RSI - repetitive strain injury - which meant that I could hardly use the keyboard and mouse because I felt a terrible pain in my hands. A couple of years later I started to think of ways to create something that would work for itself, something that could earn me money and provide a future but didn't require endless mouse clicking as with graphics design. I then discovered Affilorama and started to create websites from there on.

Now, 8 years after RSI the complaints are 90% gone, I'm starting to get the idea this 'need' is fading away. I know I still can't manage computering 40 hours a week, but still, I lack a sense of purpose. I'm seriously thinking going back to graphics design in a way, but I just don't know how. I'm kinda lost at this moment what to do with my life. What are my options? What do I really want? Questions I should probably ask somewhere else. But trust me I've been searching for answers a lot and am still puzzled.

Basically what I'm wondering is; is it possible that my interest in internet marketing has worn out? And is it possible I'm inclining towards my old roots which are graphics design and concepting? Both come easy to me and hours fly by when I'm busy with either of them. Thing is, how to make it work so that I can create some income with this.. so anyway,

thanks for reading.

Rudolf
nativeaffiliate
Trust:
I totally understand where you are coming from Rudolph me too gets attracted to the newer so called big IM idea that pops out. I have had to restart my affilojetpack and I started 3 months ago. Left it for a while and now am starting again. The focus on one website I think is the key. I have to say though it makes it alot harder and doesnt help us newbies when Mark Affilorama Ling recommends/promotes new IM products for us to look at..
mark schaaf
Trust:
Rudolf, Mark again. I have gone through many times what you are talking about and although I gave ideas a little while ago I didn't really tell much about myself. I do this for the most part because I feel I don't have any other choice, I lost my job 4 years ago and as of not I have kind of decided I am never going to get a job worth a crap again. I am 57 and if I put on my resume I have over 25 years in management experience I don't even get an interview but if I put only 15 years of experience I get a few, but when I go to the interview I can see the look in the interviewer's eyes that they aren't looking for someone my age. With that in mind I jumped in all the way into this game. At first I spent the first couple months learning what to do from a program I joined, I didn't see marks stuff until a couple years later but the info I had seemed overwhelming and I felt that way for a while then started to learn more and do more. I put up a couple sites that of course I thought were good but were really only poor at best. I started using ppc from a company that was suggested from the program I was using rather then adwords which they also stggested. I wasted over 400 dollars before I knew it and even though I could target my ads and did I was seeing my ads showing up on sites that it should have never been on I didn't see the ads themselves but on the site report when looking at clicks and such. I raised hell with the company for this and they pretty much did nothing but the ads were on the wrong sites to the point that it would be like someone putting mag wheels on a cake baking site.

I dumped those guys and went for Google Adwords and within a few weeks I was making sales. I thought things were going to go great from there but of course it didn't. I would make a sale or 2 for a day or 2 then sell nothing for a week, then I would sell 5 things on one day then nothing for the rest of the week. I kept doing this for months testing different things trying to figure out why in the world the people who were buying things did and why the people who didn't. I did this till I made about 2000 dollars worth of commission which just happened to be just about the amount I spent on adwords.

It didn't make sense to keep doing this for nothing so I decided to put up a site about something I really knew a lot about but at the same time I know it was a very tough niche which was travel and to be specific italian travel. so I lined up about 8 different vendors to promote on different pages of my new site and went to work.

I spent about 6 months non stop writing and re writing articles and put up about 20 pages and about a week after putting them up I decided I needed another 20 pages as well as about a dozen stories so I spent another 5 months doing that. I did all the seo and normal promo stuff to push my site and watched it take at lease a month and a half to even show up in the top 100 pages of google, yahoo and bing then watched it slowly climb to the top of page one for about 12 different keywords. I thin thought things would start happening but of course it didn't.

I knew from planing my own vacations for many years that people don't go to a site and instantly book anything they spend months looking and checking things before booking something but I just couldn't understand why with as many people as I was getting to my site each day and as many off them that were returning that I wasn't booking anything. I asked many people here and on other forums what could be going on and some said the site colors and other aspects of the site.

So after 4 complete site re vamps most people think my site is real good but still not much in the way of sales and when looking at it I understand a little why. It is just very difficult to write copy that compels someone to spend thousands of dollars to book a bit vacation. You don't want to get pushy like we do on other sites like when we say click here to buy this app or product before they are all gone because I don't want to scare them off so I spent the last several months trying to learn how do write the kind of copy I need and have been reading all my pages trying to figure out where to put something to push them into a decision with tactful words so they don't feel like there being pressured.

I also am putting stuff into areas to get the visitor to believe they deserve to go on a vacation like this which is something else I learned along with finding a great site that talks about site layout, color and many other aspects. I am now looking into doing some other little things and signed up for one of the things Mark was pushing in one of his e-mails. I told myself I wasn't going to spend any money but I did anyhow and have learned a few things but don't really know if that little extra is going to be that one things that will make things start to click and make me good money.

I am telling you all of this because I have had at least 3 times where I had periods of months where I didn't know what to do next or times where I thought what the hell am I doing all this for nothing as well as days when I know I wanted to write something I just didn't know what. After doing this for a while I tried turning things into a game or something I wanted to try and accomplish. I often wondered why billionaires kept working and making money and decided because they treated it like a game of how much can I make, of course it is much easier to do this when your making a ton of money and don't have much of anything to worry about but that is what I am trying to do.

I can't tell you that it is working because I still am making very little money but I can tell you that it makes me more focused again and one thing I stopped doing is doing this stuff everyday. I now either do this stuff half days often or take the weekend off. I decided that my mind gets fresh ideas when I am not constantly thinking about this and it works some but I can tell you that I don't feel under the gun much anymore like I need to do this or need to do that. I don't know if this helps any with how your feeling but sometimes it is good to know what others have gone through and are going through in order to get a better view point on what your next move may be. Sometimes it can be as simple as taking a week or two off.

Often for myself writhing something like this sharing what I am going through rather then trying to write something for a site is all it takes to lift my spirits. So relax and let things flow and don't push too hard. Mark
Mark

rudolf55
Trust:
mark schaaf wrote: ..

Thanks for that reply Mark. I had already let go a bit and what do you know, I started writing articles and it came pretty easy to me. I've written three articles in the last two days. I think what might work (for me) is to not push it too hard like you said, but rather go a bit more slowly.

I used to sit in front of my computer every day really thinking that I had to do something and it worked against me. For me, I need to get that sudden motivation to start working on something. It's about getting into the mood, a little self-motivation but also keeping it at your own pace. For me these things need to be non-obligatory or it won't work. Kinda odd that I hate it when I push myself whilst I am the captain of my own ship. If that makes any sense.

Anyway, thanks for you replies and if anyone has any extra advice it's always welcome.

Rudolf
mark schaaf
Trust:
I am glad I could help even if it is just a little. As I said I have been there and often put the feeling on myself of I have write something today or just the feeling almost everyday that something needs to happen, now I know it is better not to feel that way just getting rid of the I have to feeling makes a big difference. Mark
Mark

rudolf55
Trust:
Hey Mark, I sent you a private message. Check your inbox if you read this!

Regards Rudolf
rudolf55
Trust:
Also forgot to mention, this goes for everyone else too, currently private message notifications are not working so you've got to think of checking your inbox yourself now and then. Sent you one back Mark.

Rudolf
ezinedept
Trust:
Im late to this discussion, but hope to make a contribution. We all suffer from "shiney object syndrome". It's the nature of the industry. The best advice I received on this topic came from Rich Schefren who explained that every additional project you undertake robs from the effort you have already put into a previous incomplete project and delays its completion indefinately.

As a result, you lose the fire that fueled the original project. Remember that each new tool will quickly be made obsolete by another one. Make the purchase of a new toy justify itself. Solidify the foundation you were building before chasing a new tool.

Ron (aka BigPaulie)
marketsearch
Trust:
Create yourself a plan. Actually start off writing some goals for yourself!

Then create daily plan that you are going to discipline yourself to follow with activities that is going to help you reach your goals.

Create yourself a landing page, find and pick just one or two traffic strategies. Now understand that using free traffic is going to take a lot, lot longer to build. But what you want to do is start to send some warm traffic to your landing page and monitor its results and make adjustments and tweaks to help your conversion rate.

Internet Marketing is all about the numbers and testing, testing, testing. Traffic & Conversions!

Build yourself your own custom landing page and tweak it till you are getting opt ins then you need to get your one time offer to convert. Once you test one time offers and find ones that convert well for you then its all about scaling and growing your list.

Once you have a funnel set up that converts then you can start sending paid traffic with the whole idea of your one time offer covering your advertising cost thus building yourself a list for free. That should be your goal
Traffic is the lifeblood of your online business. If you can't get a lot of targeted traffic your DOOMED! All the traffic you can handle below => http://teamroughdog.info

This topic was started on May 01, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.