Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

The Pain of Hostgator

carlmasure
Trust:

The Pain of Hostgator

I really loved hostgator. I had no problems....

Until last night when all my sites went offline.

I've been on the line with hostgator support 3 times. They are clueless and suggested that I did something to my SQL, which I didn't. They really couldn't help me and set up a ticket. I've been waiting for hours to have this resolved. Still waiting.

One thing I'm taking away from this is that I will spread my sites across other hosting providers so that my business is not totally blacked out for several hours next time HG decides to do some "maintenance"...

Carl
csherlock
Trust:
Agree with you hear mate. I also heard Google can decide to track all your sites to on hosting account. Google can disagree with one of your sites, track them back to your hosting account and penalize you on every site...ouch! so you're right spread 'em out!

PremiumMember
sethczerepak
Trust:
That's pretty scary that Google can do that...I think it's a bit extreme on their part...what if you're experimenting with one site and just figuring things out?
carlmasure
Trust:
Well,

In my bricks and mortar job, I'm a social scientist. From a legal standpoint, I'd say Google is very likely in violation of US anti-trust laws because of their near complete control of search based commerce.

For affiliates, it can be a double edged sword. This is because we only need to deal with one 800lb gorilla in trying to gain rank, which is better than having to try to "satisfy" the algorithms of several search engines. On the other hand, if mighty Google doesn't like your web presence, you have no where else to go.

Personally, I like competition. And, I like alternatives to free SEO. I think things would really open up and get quite interesting if Google was knocked off its throne.

For instance, Google sent one of my sites to the sandbox. I suspect it's because I got a little crazy with Bookmarking Demon. In any event, my site is still doing well in the other search engines....but who cares? No one is there.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
That is totally not true Carl. I have great websites with no Google rankings that do really well. I can get ranking with Bing, and drive traffic through other sources. anyone relying on Google is giving them too much control over their business in my opinion.

Bing is actually on the rise. I am seeing more and more trafffic through my rankings there over the last few months.

Did you get your hosting issue fixed? I have been with HG since the beginning, although I don't have all my sites hosted there (never put all your eggs in one basket kinda thing...) I have never had an issue that they couldnt help me fix. sometimes it takes them a few days to figure it out, but they have been pretty reliable.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

This topic was started on Apr 10, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.