Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

The Nexus Law will affect Your Affiliate Business

rdnkpc
Trust:

The Nexus Law will affect Your Affiliate Business

The advertising tax, also know as the Nexus tax is moving quickly through the Virginia Senate and the bill (SB660) will go to the Senate floor Tuesday, Feb. 16th. If it passes, merchants (ie Amazon) will terminate Virginia affiliates (it has happened in NC, RI and NY). Other states have similar bills pending and under consideration (New Mexico, Mississippi).

Thanks to the support of many affiliates, Colorado and California have shot down their Nexus bills.

For Virginians, the PMA have sent us examples of letters and a listing of where to submit these letters to our State Senators opposing this legislation.

I feel compelled to bring this up as many affiliates may not be aware of this law which is being pursued by individual states in an effort to get additional revenue.

As many of us are Internet Marketing Affiliates, we must join together. The http://www.performancemarketingassociation.com is an online marketing association for online marketing businesses and affiliates. Registration is free and they will keep you up to date on issues in your state that can affect your business.
wollowra
Trust:
Thanks RD,
Welcome to Affilorama.
I am in Australia thank goodness but I feel for you guys in those states that have been affected.
I suppose people in the affected states will need to set up an LLC in Nevada or something.
(disclaimer: that is not legal advice either)

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

carlmasure
Trust:
Just for the record, this is not surprising at all. The USA has become the Kremlin, West Branch. We will be taxed and spent into oblivion. Thanks for this important alert.
wollowra
Trust:
Hi guys and gals,
Just thought some people might be interested in an update on this...
Mike hill just put out an update on his blog about Amazon canceling all affiliate agreements with California residents.
Also anyone who has affiliates in California now need to collect Tax on any sales your affiliates make.

I try not to get into politics on this forum, but I have to say this is the most stupid thing I have ever heard of.
California will not be gaining anything from this Nexus Tax and will only hurt affiliates..this is just plain stupidity.
If California can make stupid decisions like this, then it is no wonder they are in so much debt.

Here's the update and watch the 2 videos on Mike's blog.
http://mikehillsblog.com/affiliates/ca-nexus-tax

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on Feb 13, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.