Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Tax ID # or Social Security Number

nm629593
Trust:

Tax ID # or Social Security Number

I guess this is for Affiliates in the US. What do most of you use for your affiliate programs, a Tax ID# or your SS#? I am very hesitant about putting my SS# online.
PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
If your online business is more than a hobby business I would suggest you acquire a Tax ID#. Starting out your sales are low, however as the business grows the sales volume will increase. This growth in your business will cause a need for hiring employees. Though you can hire VA's from foreign countries initially when you do hire U. S. employees you will be required to have a Tax ID#.

I have also found that the Tax ID# seems to have minimized the scrutiny placed on the websites when I have
applied to be an affiliate or in the acquisition of business equipment.

Margene Smith
nm629593
Trust:
newstart wrote:If your online business is more than a hobby business I would suggest you acquire a Tax ID#. Starting out your sales are low, however as the business grows the sales volume will increase. This growth in your business will cause a need for hiring employees. Though you can hire VA's from foreign countries initially when you do hire U. S. employees you will be required to have a Tax ID#.

I have also found that the Tax ID# seems to have minimized the scrutiny placed on the websites when I have
applied to be an affiliate or in the acquisition of business equipment.

Margene Smith

Thanks Margene for the info! I really appreciate your advice!!

-Pam
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
really it depends on what you want. getting a tax id is a good idea, but you can wait if you want to. with the drop out rate in the business, its a bit of time to get one just to decide you don't like the business and quit. get 1 site up and see what it takes to make some money, once you have a successful site and decide if you really want to do this full time, then go get one.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

Don't worry about using your SS # if the business and/or affiliate program is reputable. This is how they report what they have paid you to the IRS (something that any US based business that cares to stay in business will do). Do your research first, maybe even see what others have to say about them.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
You'll find the following information on ClickBank's Accounting Policy page:

http://www.clickbank.com/accounting.html#A21 wrote:Taxpayer ID Number Requirement for U.S. Based Affiliates Earning Over $600

U.S. based Affiliate accounts earning over $600 are required to have a taxpayer ID number of some kind linked to their account, at a minimum a social security number. If inputting a social security number, be sure to use the proper 9-digit format including dashes: 123-45-6789.

ClickBank encourages U.S. based Affiliates earning over $600 a year to obtain an IRS issued Employer Identification Number (EIN) to input into your account as a taxpayer ID number. If you do not have one already, you may click here to get yours at the IRS web site. Note that this is a free process. The IRS will either provide your number online, or mail it to you. Once you have obtained your EIN please be sure to key it in to all of your ClickBank accounts, in this 9-digit format: 12-3456789. This helps to simplify the year-end 1099 reporting requirement.

Note: The taxpayer ID number input to your account must match the payee name on the account. If you are utilizing a business payee name but reporting under an individual social security number, you will need to fax a completed IRS W-9 form to us at 559-210-0502. Be sure to include a cover sheet that indicates your account nickname.

Second note: If you are utilizing a U.S. address but are a beneficial resident of a foreign country, you will instead need to fax a completed IRS W-8ben form to us at 559-210-0502. Be sure to include a cover sheet that indicates your account nickname..

Hope that helps!
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

nm629593
Trust:
michellerana wrote:You'll find the following information on ClickBank's Accounting Policy page:

http://www.clickbank.com/accounting.html#A21 wrote:Taxpayer ID Number Requirement for U.S. Based Affiliates Earning Over $600

U.S. based Affiliate accounts earning over $600 are required to have a taxpayer ID number of some kind linked to their account, at a minimum a social security number. If inputting a social security number, be sure to use the proper 9-digit format including dashes: 123-45-6789.

ClickBank encourages U.S. based Affiliates earning over $600 a year to obtain an IRS issued Employer Identification Number (EIN) to input into your account as a taxpayer ID number. If you do not have one already, you may click here to get yours at the IRS web site. Note that this is a free process. The IRS will either provide your number online, or mail it to you. Once you have obtained your EIN please be sure to key it in to all of your ClickBank accounts, in this 9-digit format: 12-3456789. This helps to simplify the year-end 1099 reporting requirement.

Note: The taxpayer ID number input to your account must match the payee name on the account. If you are utilizing a business payee name but reporting under an individual social security number, you will need to fax a completed IRS W-9 form to us at 559-210-0502. Be sure to include a cover sheet that indicates your account nickname.

Second note: If you are utilizing a U.S. address but are a beneficial resident of a foreign country, you will instead need to fax a completed IRS W-8ben form to us at 559-210-0502. Be sure to include a cover sheet that indicates your account nickname..

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much! I read that on Clickbank. My concern was putting my SS# online because there's so much potential for someone to hack into a website and steal that information and I just wanted a sense of what most Affiliates use.
nm629593
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:really it depends on what you want. getting a tax id is a good idea, but you can wait if you want to. with the drop out rate in the business, its a bit of time to get one just to decide you don't like the business and quit. get 1 site up and see what it takes to make some money, once you have a successful site and decide if you really want to do this full time, then go get one.

Thanks Jim. I did not consider the drop out rate for this business. That's why I'm continuing to do my research. So far I'm still excited about getting started. Unfortunately, I have to get through the holidays first and then give it a go after the first of the year. How long does it take to get a tax ID#?
covenantguy
Trust:
nm629593 wrote:
jmpruitt wrote:really it depends on what you want. getting a tax id is a good idea, but you can wait if you want to. with the drop out rate in the business, its a bit of time to get one just to decide you don't like the business and quit. get .

Th tax ID#?

Do you know if you need to have a TIN number on the Amazon tax questionnaireif you live outside of the U.S?
http://johnreason.com/recommends.php?linkid=Affiloblueprint
Build a Successful Website in 12 Weeks.

This topic was started on Dec 01, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.