Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Starting with zero budget

nasturtia
Trust:

Starting with zero budget

Well, the situation is as follows. I'm in IT. Heh, at least I was... I lost my job last March due to the recession and couldn't find another one so far. My bank account balance is nearly zero right now and I desperately need cash to survive. Around 3 weeks ago I happened to attend a seminar on internet marketing and that was something amazing, so I've been hanging on this idea since then and almost lost motivation to look for a traditional job.

I was reading here and there and it looks like the more I learn the more I still need to know. So now I'd appreciate an honest opinion: how could I start with zero budget? Is it possible at all? Well, I could afford buying a domain or two and hosting, I guess, but I believe I need some more knowledge before I can make decisions like that. Are there other ways? What about free ad sites? Is that worth trying?

Any thoughts guys?
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dougbarr
Trust:
Here is something to help get you started. Stephen Pierce (Super Affiliate) is offering the MRMI Supercash system for a 30 day $1 trial.
http://www.mrmisupercash.com/

Even if you don't continue your membership, there are lots of information for $1, and several ready-to-go Websites ready for upload, including Private Label Rights.

Signup at http://www.warriorforum.com/ as well. Another great forum.
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

wollowra
Trust:
Some great advice Doug.
Nasturtia, Read this forum as much as you can and other forums as well.
Try some free trials and learn as much as you possibly can.
If you can afford to keep one of the trials for a few months great.
Become a sponge and once you decide to go in a certain direction then you can take ACTION.
You will make mistakes, I guarantee you now.. but realize that this is part of the process.

Regards
Troy
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
My brother started out blogging to earn enough to pay for the AB program. I'm not sure if he used paid or free, but he was having some success with that. In fact, I talked with him about it the other day, and he says he kind of wished he hadn't shut down his blog so quickly because he was having some success with it :D

Might be something to consider. Wordpress.com, for example, offers free blogs, but you must adhere to the TOS to make sure you keep your site from being locked. There's also Squidoo and a few others that you might could have some success with as well, as long as you abide by their rules.

Even with very little, it is possible. It will take more effort on your part. In fact, Once you've paid for your hosting, there's really very little you would have to pay for out of pocket for expenses -- mainly the web hosting fees and any membership fees, such as AMA or Affilorama Premium.

You might even try what I think my brother is going to try to do and that's get at least a part time job to cover these expenses and give you at least a little money to work with while you get started with AB. Sometimes a little income is better than no income ;)

Good luck, nasturia! Just keep your eye on the goal and you will find a way!

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

PremiumMember
ericmarlow
Trust:
Just my two cents.

While it's possible to get started with zero budget. It sounds like you need money to live on right away. Even if you had money now, there is no escaping the learning curve. It will take time for you to learn and get the experience you need to make job quitting income.

You can learn everything you need to get started right here on Affilorama and listen to every teleseminar and webinar Mark Ling puts out.

Under the lessons tab watch the different sections in the order presented.
1.introduction
2. market research
3. seo
4. site building
5. content creation

Skip the ppc area and marketing ideas area for now. Keep an eye out for good interviews in the guruviews area and on the blog when they are related to getting traffic for free.

I hope that helps you. It's helped me.

- Eric
nasturtia
Trust:
Thanks guys for sharing! It's definately useful and encouraging. I keep reading, I also signed up at the Warrior Forum 2 days ago. Found the link in this forum. I think I will too try MRMI Supercash System. I wish I had started back in March when I came across affiliate marketing for the first time. But then I didn't really realize what it was.

As you might have noticed English isn't my native language so I'm kinda sceptical about my abilities to do affiliate articles or blogs. However, I have some passions and I think they are in pretty good niches. I'd like to come to a point when I can outsource stuff.

I wonder whether it would be a good idea to do some marketing on my own language. I'm originally from a small country with a population of only 3.5 million people. I believe there is no significant competition over there and what I see in forums gives me understanding that the people aren't aware of so many products and services. The problems they are having, however, are as elsewhere.

Grady, what is TOS?
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
TOS = terms of service.
And Grady is right i did start with just a blog. I had my own domain and webhosting which is all i paid for until I started the AB program here. There are a lot of great sites that can help teach you how to get free traffic.

It will take a lot of hard work to get started. If you have no money even for webhosting, apx $10/month US dollars, then I suggest you start by making lenses on Squidoo and start a Blogger blog. these are free services. I would not suggest them for a full time site, but they can help get you started until you make enough to pay for your own domain name and web hosting.

As others have said, mistakes will happen, we have all made them. But you will learn and grow. In time you can make a lot of money doing this.

Good Luck to you.
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Your Focus Determines Your Reality

nasturtia
Trust:
Thanks jmpruitt. I'm ready for mistakes. It's said: only those who aren't doing anything make no mistakes.

I'm actually quite touched by the sincerity in the replies to my post. Thanks all.

I'm thinking about a blog but I wonder what I should be writing about? Why should people be interested in my writings?
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Blogging is a great way to go. I currently run 2, and I get more traffic through my blog than through search for my sites. One of the keys to running a blog is to decide on your ideal customer. imagine their strengths and weaknesses, what are their problems that will keep them awake at night? Then as you write your blog posts you write as if you where talking to that person.

As far as topics, I suggest making a list of all your passions. what are your hobbies and interests. Then go to Clickbank and look for products that match your interests. If there are at least 3 or 4 with a gravity over 30 you have a profitable niche. Check out the Affilorama lessons on selecting a niche. It is under market research.

One way I choose a topic, is to find an area of my life I want to improve. By doing the research I need to write the content, I learn what I can do to help myself. Doing it this way, I am growing in an area I need help with, and using the opportunity to help someone else as well.

Hope this helps

James
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Your Focus Determines Your Reality

nasturtia
Trust:
James, it definately helps, thanks. I'm about to start a blog :)
superaff
Trust:
Hey,

Back in the days, I started with absolutely zero.

Here is what to do:

1. Go to clickbank and choose a desperate niche (yeast infection, man boobs, etc)
2. Find out what keywords these people use (you can use traffic travis)
3. Set up a blog with blogger.com (quick and easy) with a low competition keywords as url
4. Register at ezinearticles.com
5. Submit articles with the keywords you found in step 2
6. Write a LOT of articles every day (2 or 3) with different keywords
7. Watch the sales come in.
8. And make sure to watch all the videos here.

This works, here is one of my first students blog (he was a complete dummy and quickly made his first commission):

"http://learnfrenchonline.blogspot.com/"

You can take this blog as a model.

Quick note: actually, I recommend wordpress over blogger blogs, but for beginners, blogger is just faster to set up.

Franck
Last edited by sydney on 11 Apr 11 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed broken link

Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

nasturtia
Trust:
Thanks Franck. I've actually already had a look at both, wordpress and blogger, and I prefer wordpress. I'm an IT professional, so I'm not really scared of setups and stuff. I wonder, however, how would people find my blog? I've noticed that I never come across any blogs when googling. And is it ok to place affiliate links in the body of my posts or should they only appear in the Link section?
superaff
Trust:
Blogs are good to get "long tail" search engine traffic.

Posting every day to your blog will bring some decent traffic after a couple of month. Plus you should also do the following:

1. Blog comment on high traffic blogs in your niche
2. Guest blog posts on other people blogs
3. Forum marketing
4. Press releases
5. Article marketing
6. Social networking sites

There are many ways to drive traffic to your blog, just make sure that you master just one at a time.

Start with number 1 & 2.

Franck
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

dimassx
Trust:
As an addition to affiliate links on your blog you can add AdSense ads as well.

This topic was started on Sep 25, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.