Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Starting out with Affiliate Marketing

baguiar
Trust:

Starting out with Affiliate Marketing

Hey guys, I am new to this whole Affiliate Marketing scene and pretty excited. First off, let me start with a little background:

I'm a 20 year old from California and have been on computers since 8 or 9. You may be surprised, but in that time have I never learned web-site building and code (besides basics such as images, links, etc). I'm a college student, and carry a part time job. I just found out about Affiliate Marketing and was instantly hooked. I've always had an itch to start a business of my own, and what better way then to start something online? Heck, I'm on every single day anyway.

I think what Mark is doing is an awesome thing. Giving back is what it is all about IMO. I hope to be successful enough to where people look at me and ask how I did it. I want to be able to share with them the and see the excitement I feel now getting ready to start this endeavor.

Enough deep, boring stuff. Let me get to some of my questions!

I went through the 6-part mini course. At times I got a bit lost mostly about metada, anchoring, etc. as I am not to strong in that, but they seem simple enough. As well, going through the different marketing techniques seemed a bit daunting. Beyond that everything made very good sense and I took a lot out of it.

1. How now, should I go about starting? Should I start researching a niche through the techniques shown in the mini-course? After the mini-course Mark jumps straight into dream-weaver and website building. I do not have a domain, nor a host, nor a niche and affiliate programs to work with. I kind of wanted to do it in a step-by-step process but would hate to find a niche, get everything situated to find out he talks more in depth about finding a niche later on in the course.

2. For a newbie such as myself, how many affiliate programs in my niche should I opt for on my page? I was thinking 3, but was not sure what would be manageable?

3. I've been curious as to how long it took Mark to start seeing a gradual increase in visits/sales. How often did he start a new campaign while keeping his others running? Who was HIS mentor?

Again, I am so glad to be apart of this community and am eagerly waiting to start (even though I know there is A LOT of work ahead of me). It does seem as though once you get your keywords, site up, and all that good stuff up the marketing part should be A BIT easier.

- Brandon
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Seems like you are pretty intent so that's a good thing. Before we ask anything else... have you watched any of the videos other than the 6 part mini course? It goes into detail of what you were asking.

The hardest part by the way is getting started.

Welcome along.
baguiar
Trust:
I just finished the 9 step road-map. WOW - it cleared things up and gave me a new perspective on everything. Things just 'fit together' and click once that little series was done. I think most, if not all my questions were answered - guess I should of watched it before I posted :).

One thing I am still kind of confused about though:

Where exactly are you marketing your affiliate programs? I know you do it when you get to your viral marketing, newsletter send-outs, but where in your web-page as a whole are you doing it? Taking Mark's example for a second from the videos (hair styles I believe it was), inside those articles is he sporadically every so often putting anchor text that is leading to his affiliate programs product page, or photos with text on the side visitors may click on, etc? IF that's the case, you could be hooked up with 4, maybe even 5 affiliate programs that may have to do with the hair care industry, or something of that nature, and then place them accordingly throughout your page, correct?

Also, on one of his videos in the 6-part mini course he shows a site he has which simply shows 4, short reviews of guitar products which then link his customers to the product pages. Is this concept still built off of his "building a community" theory or simply something within his community he built that I missed? Or is it alternative, standalone approach to marketing his products?

The hard part DOES seem getting started, and all the blogs, articles, etc that need to be written. Luckily I have some cash-flow so I will probably be out-sourcing most of that. I would ask some questions about that but I know he has a 5 or 6 part series on that alone that I still need to watch! :D

I can't say it enough, but I am really, really excited to start this. In a way this reminds me of 'entrepreneur boot camp'. I have always had an obsession for researching things continually I am genuinely interested in - must be in my blood. My girlfriend will laugh (mind you, an annoyed laugh) at me because I will sit and contrast and compare two different kinds of snowboard bindings for hours, even days on end before I decide which one to buy. This seems to happen with anything I do now a days - research until I am blue in the face. It seems like this might be a good quality to have in this business. :wink:

Brandon
kiwiboy
Trust:
Kia ora Brendon, welcome to affliorama bro! 8)

Sounds like you will pick things up pretty quick,
mark has a lot of really great info on his blog, ie ref to Q about his mentors,

Happy learning dude.
Here's to the good life ! :)

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
The 4 product reviews that you speak of are mainly used for Google Adwords campaigns, or in broader terms, PPC marketing. If you plan to start out this way, that is what your visitors would see upon coming to your site.

If you wish to rank some keywords in the Search Engines and get some free traffic, you will want to use a different approach to showing them "the ad". You could have a link in a navigation bar to "market reviews" etc...

Your homepage could even include the side-by-side comparison charts. It's just a matter of testing really.

The burton missions in camo with toe caps are good bindings by the way.
baguiar
Trust:
I should probably just stop asking questions until I get through all the videos - I am sure this is all answered in there lol.

I am getting ready to start the Dreamweaver series - which I am most nervous about because this is my weakest area and I only know basic HTML.

I am hoping to be done with all the videos in the next week or so - get started researching and get going. I'll probably put up a thread that I will continually update to let you know my status, where I am at and ask questions as I progress through the stages of this adventure. I'm excited, but nervous at the same time. I don't want to get discouraged when I don't see profits right away. I guess thats why Mark and others say persistence is key.

Ah, the missions. I went with the Cartels instead. I have a Salomon Special and I needed bindings more responsive then the Missions. It was between the Cartels, P1's, or C02's. I'm going to have to take a look at this next season's Triads though as they are a combination of all 3! (Cartel baseplate, C02 highback, and P1 straps)

Time to get back to watching videos :D

Brandon
baguiar
Trust:
Traffic Travis seems to be an amazing all-in-one market research tool. Do any of you have any experience with it and would agree with my statement above? I am thinking about EVENTUALLY purchasing it but wanted some opinions first.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't TT in the member's area for download or was it since removed a while back?
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
TT is/was/should be available for free in the members area. Look for the TT box on the left hand side of the members area, and use your receipt from when you joined Affilorama when the TT software asks for it.

Bear in mind that quite a few things in TT are broken at the moment (most notably the keyword research tool) but we're releasing a completely overhauled version of it pretty soon.

I made the graphics. They're pretty :)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

kiwiboy
Trust:
I bet those graphic's are as pretty as your voice!

macdee1823
Trust:
Welcome to Affilorama!

Wes
Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/WesleyMcDermott | Add me on Facebook - http://profile.to/wesleymcdermott/ | Connect on Linkedin - http://uk.linkedin.com/in/theseoconsultant

baguiar
Trust:
Thanks for all the comments guys!

I have been reading and watching videos almost non-stop every day after work until I go to sleep everything containing SEO, keyword research, etc. etc. I can honestly say it is ALL starting to click. I must say Keyword Research seems to be one area I am still COMPLETELY trying to familiarize with and it seems the most critical so I am really trying to get it down pat before I start.

Any word when Traffic Travis' re-vamp should be available?

I am happy to say that I have a very well understanding of on and off site SEO - Even the advanced areas were not difficult for me to understand and one day utilize.

The only other things after getting a solid understanding of keyword-research is learning HTML/etc. to build my site, and finally deciding on a niche!

I can't wait! :D

Brandon
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Word from the top (or the programmer concerned) says that new TT will be available "soon(TM)".

So take that as you like :)

Until then, I get to do the "I have new TT and you don't" dance. :D
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

baguiar
Trust:
Soon

That's all we get!? :D

I guess I just have to be patient.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hah! It's not just "soon" it's "soon(TM)"!

If you like, we can give you a discount for the wait. Hows about that?

:lol:

(Just kidding, people who don't get the joke. TT is free. A discount off free. It's Friday funnies here at Affilorama HQ!)

baguiar
Trust:
Free is great - but discounted free must be an amazing deal!