Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Social Bookmarking for commercial purposes?

PremiumMember
blake56
Trust:

Social Bookmarking for commercial purposes?

I don't know if this is the right place for this topic but I will go head. I have been reading all the Affilorama blog posts and using the search function looking at all the entries for Social Bookmarking but have not been able to find answers to my questions.

I understand the traffic benefit but is bookmarking only for blogs. I do not have a blog only an affiliate site that promotes registry software and each page is geared toward selling that type of software. I have followed the Blueprint so all my articles are at least 500 words of original content. I would like to bookmark each new page as I add them to several social sites.

My question is I understand that bookmarking only for commercial reasons (drive traffic to a commercial site to convert) is spamming, so how do you get around that? I know in the terms of service for Delicious that is prohibited. So I think I am stuck.

Anyone have any thoughts.
Last edited by michellerana on 06 Jan 10 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

zfilinger
Trust:
Hi,

I've from one successful marketer that the sweet spot between being a spammer and promoting your sites effectively is 5:1, meaning bookmark 5 regular pages and then 1 money page.

A week ago I started to using it that way, so I can't tell how well this works. But I think it makes sense.

Zbynek
PremiumMember
blake56
Trust:
Zbynek, thanks for the info

Do your regular pages have affiliate links on them?

Bill
faradina
Trust:
I believe that what Zbynek means by regular pages are pages that do not really belong to his website but are rather pages from other sites and which contain useful/helpful information about topics other than the product being promoted.
Am I right, Zbynek?
PremiumMember
whitehawk
Trust:
Whoa I didn't know about this, I was just going at it like a bull at a gate (social bookmarking) that is. I bookmarked every page i published, every post, didn't consider it might be viewed as spamming.
I will plan this strategy a bit more cautiously in the future.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
social bookmarking sites do not like seeing that all your bookmarks come from your own site. one reason I provide a social bookmarking service is that it helps my own accounts with showing many domains bookmarked.

I also recommend you spend some time on the bookmarking sites, maybe once every 2 weeks or so, go in and leave comments on other peoples posts, make friends requests, etc. using the social aspect of social bookmarking is the real power behind it.

Most bookmarking sites are nofollow, so if you are doing it just for links, you are wasting your time.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
blake56
Trust:
Thanks all for the input. The support here is great and appreciated.

This topic was started on Jan 05, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.