Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Smashed by Google! ...Is This Why?

liveinasiablog
Trust:

Smashed by Google! ...Is This Why?

My blog was humming along nicely, about a hundred visits a day and growing.

It was a PR 3

Then, after all these Google changes, It has taken a huge hit!

It is now a PR 1

I think this why I got hit. Tell me what you think. Check out this page....

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/korean-video-lessons/

There are 80 links on that page. Each link goes to a page with a different instructional video--showing how to speak Korean. On top of, and below, each video there is text, about 150 words altogether. The text on each page is nearly identical. It's just a short introduction and a small advertisement.

Even though each page has a different video, which makes each page totally unique to users, I think Google may have listed each of these pages as duplicate content because of the text.

And I think because I've got what appears to be 80 pages (which is nearly half of the total number of pages on my site) of content that is almost exactly the same, Google has penalized my entire site.

What do you think?
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
It's possible that Google viewed that as duplicate content and flagged your site for it. I got this off the Google Webmaster Page on duplicate content:

Minimize similar content: If you have many pages that are similar, consider expanding each page or consolidating the pages into one. For instance, if you have a travel site with separate pages for two cities, but the same information on both pages, you could either merge the pages into one page about both cities or you could expand each page to contain unique content about each city.

Maybe just have that information on the same page where you have the videos listed and then put in a link back to the product you're promoting with a different CTA text each time?

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

liveinasiablog
Trust:
Thanks Cecille,
It's funny you posted that quote from Google. I just read it a while ago, and that's where I got the idea that I may have been penalized for this duplicate content.

I think I may just take out all of the text and insert a banner add instead!
jpastorizo
Trust:
liveinasiablog wrote:Thanks Cecille,
It's funny you posted that quote from Google. I just read it a while ago, and that's where I got the idea that I may have been penalized for this duplicate content.

I think I may just take out all of the text and insert a banner add instead!

IMHO your site will probably benefit if you can have the text rewritten and have them unique from one another, so that next time the Gbot crawls your site hopefully it will see that you have made the content unique and take it easy on your site. You will have to do work moving forward to bring your site up to PR3 though.

Regards,
Jon
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

Actually, if you take out all text and just insert a banner ad, then you will have even less quality duplicate content. You can transcribe each video and use that as text for each page. Unless each video is the same, then you already have your unique content:) You could always outsource the transcription to save time.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

This topic was started on Nov 04, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.