Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Sick and tired of Clickbank taking my money! Arrgh!

paulie69
Trust:

Sick and tired of Clickbank taking my money! Arrgh!

Hello everyone!

Firstly, I have to really commend those who are receiving checks from Clickbank. You must be elated to get your first check!

Secondly, sorry for this long post but I feel the topic is important for all affiliates.

Unfortunately I am one of those pople who haven't met the minimum requirements for getting paid a check from Clickbank. This includes not meeting the five different credit card payments. I know this is part of their TOS but it seems unfair. I've made lots of sales but unfortunately lots of period of inactivity and believe me I've had heaps of MY money go into Clickbank's coffers. The situation is ridiculous.

Put it this way. An affiliate could potentially be "earning" (that's a loose term) tens of thousands of dollars through Clickbank. Heck, you could get a million bucks in sales! Just because you haven't received sales from five different credit cards, given enough time, be assured that Clickbank will take all of your money. Every cent. Every penny. Everything!

I can't see how to get around this because most people prefer Paypal nowadays even to use their credit card. It's about time Clickbank revised this unfair system of theirs.

How come places like Fiverr have no problem paying out and don't take money in the same way. Is this just a Clickbank thing? Do all affilliate networks do this? I believe they don't!

In any event it's simply unfair to be taking MY hard earned money. Why do greedy companies want to take EVERYTHING?? How do they get away with this?? They get money from the sale. They must be getting bank interest while they hold the money. Then the get the rest of the cash from the sale! Huh?!

I may understand a little more if Clickbank "withhold" monies until the so-called requirements are met and then pay the money back to us. Which in all fairness they should do. It's our money, not theirs. But they keep it! Even then they'd get heaps of bank interest. But to take it, presumably to add to their corporate profit is just a rip off. These guys NEVER give my money back!

I know some of you might say, well, just get more sales, do more backlinking... but that's not the point. It's not that easy as most of us know. Folks, the odds are well and truly stacked against affiliates. Others will say to stop using Clickbank but why should I? I just want to be treated with some fairness and to get what's rightfully mine?

At the end of the day my hard earned money is MINE. What Clickbank do is just not fair.

Okay thats my whinge for the day! I would usually say "stay positive" at this point but I will refrain!
Last edited by paulie69 on 30 Apr 11 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kakaboo
Trust:
halo.. i don agree with you..

cos even if your customer chooses to pay with paypal.. you will still be counted as having made a sale... and the 180 days dormant thingy will reset itself from your last sale..

if you are constantly making one or two sales every month.. just keep at it.. and you will eventually reach the 5 credit card requirements... you should think about it another way... if the 5 CDR wasn't there.. it would make it very easy for your visitors to buy through their own affiliate links.. which you definitely do not want...(considering how savvy people are at using the internet nowadays I am sure some of them know about these affiliate networks and all even if they dont do IM)

If you are really at your wits and need the cash urgently.. there are 2 things that you can do..

1) Ask around online or your friends to help you to purchase a $5 item off clickbank with their credit cards and you pay them back the $5... it only takes $20 to unlock the CDR that way..

2) If you have been an affiliate for a long time.. send a nice e-mail to Clickbank support to ask them to release your first check.. or whether if they can waive the CDR requirement for you.. show them a couple of your sites... and tell them about the hops you have sent and you are a serious affiliate but just having downs at the moment... sometimes they will waive the requirement for ya

hope that helps.. though I do agree they shouldnt be deducting the money from dormant accounts..
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
One way that I got around that "dormant" fee was to get some rebill sales. It took me over 6 months to actually get the past the CDR. but because I had those rebills every month, it counted as activity towards the dormant fees, (it doesn't count as a new sale though )

I can understand your frustration, and I cannot say their system is perfect, but I can also understand their side of it. The whole reason they put that policy in place was because people were signing up for affiliate accounts just to buy stuff through their own link and never actually promoting any of the products.

This policy was their effort to combat that issue, which really hasn't worked that well.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

paulie69
Trust:
Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions on things and respect your advice. Yes, I knew about their "prevention" of buying through your own affiliate link thingo. And yes, it never worked effectively apparently so I'm wondering why they don't revise their system to at least make it fairer to affiliates.

@kakaboo : Yes, I agree it's wise to try and keep the sales rolling. But for any number of reasons this doesn't always happen and you are missing my point. If I already have hypothetically, $1 or $10, 000 in sales are you saying, just because I don't get any more sales then Clickbank are justified in taking that money off me - never to be seen by me ever again? Sure it may take a while - but that's not the point. It shouldn't matter HOW many sales you continue to make - the money you've earned should stay yours. Sorry, I don't agree, it's not always easy to get 5 separate card sales in a world where more and more people are using Paypal. As I've said, I see it perfectly feasible to earn $10 000 (or insert any randon number here) and still not get the 5 different card numbers rule met. Is this five different card number thing based on a US regulation?

I remain perplexed as to why they don't release an affiliates money they take when the minimum requirement is reached? When an affiliate has proven his/her worth - give them their money! Can you begin to imagine how much money is taken from dormant CB accounts each year from affiliates? I'd sure like to see the figures! We must be entitled to see them right, it's OUR money! I've read that upwards of 90% of Clickbank accounts are dormant.

Look, don't get me wrong. I'm in no way desperate for money. This is just a hobby for me, that's all. Again, that's not the point. All I'm saying is that I'm an ethical and responsible affiliate. As such, I expect to be treated in the same manner by others, be they individuals or corporations.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Its not 5 different cards though. the rule is 5 sales with at least 2 credit card different payment options. So, if have made more than sales, then you just need different CC options. Say you had 1 sale with a mastercard, and 4 sales with paypal, you would just need one sale with say a Visa to get it.

I know it is a pain, but honestly, very few of my sales have come through paypal. most of my sales have been CC sales. Honestly, a lot of the people I talk to don't use paypal. I do for business stuff, but for personal stuff I dont.

I agree they should find a better way to do it though.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

paulie69
Trust:
Thanks Jim,

Wow, maybe I've been unlucky because every single sales transaction I've had has used PayPal :(

I contacted support a few months ago and was explicitly told 5 different sales from 5 different numbers plus one alternative method eg Paypal. I'm confused! I will contact them again. Thanks for you help!

Paul.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
This is the information about earning commissions and getting paid by Clickbank:

ClickBank will withhold payment of any account balance until the following criteria is met:

* Sales made with 5 or more different credit card numbers; and,
* Sales made with two different payment methods (either Visa, MasterCard, PayPal or European Direct Debit(ELV)). Note: PayPal purchases do not count toward the minimum 5 different credit card numbers.

This requirement is in place to help prevent Affiliates from abusing the ClickBank Affiliate program by using their accounts for the sole purpose of fraudulently collecting rebates and/or discounts on their own purchases.

Once you have met the Customer Distribution Requirement, your account will begin issuing payments normally, in accordance with our Accounting Policy, beginning on the next payment issuing date.

Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

paulie69
Trust:
Thanks michellerana, so it looks like I was right about the 5 unique credit card thing. How sad they don't give back the money they take in the interim,
PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
Luckily Clickbank Is just one affiliate network... I can feel your pain with this and their rules are certainly a bit strange. I didn't know that around 90% of the account are actually dormant must be millions ripped of affiliates. Sounds like there is indeed some fraudulent activities going on with CB and I don't think these type of networks are going to win the race in the long run.

I prefer promoting physical products instead of CB stuff, Its so much more broader mass appeal. Also a lot of people always talk about the big commissions with CB. But what about EPC? Don't get hang up on promoting CB stuff there is an unlimited source of affiliate networks out there waiting for you.
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

PremiumMember
bblackwell
Trust:
Hi Paulie,

Sorry to hear about your frustration reaching the CDR.

As a few other people mentioned on here, it is in place to prevent fraudulent purchases and affiliate activity, but I do understand that it can be very frustrating trying to reach that goal.

I've sent you a private message and would be happy to talk with you more about it and try to help you get your issues resolved!

Thanks,
Beau
Client Knowledge Guru at ClickBank - Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/beaublackwell or www.twitter.com/clickbank
For more help with ClickBank check out www.clickbank.com/blog or www.clickbank.com/help
Please note that my postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of ClickBank.

wollowra
Trust:
Hey Paulie,
I can understand your frustration and when I first started I was getting angry at the fact that I did not meet the criteria.
I started to get a little " How dare they" attitude.
Then I thought to myself... 'well..it is what it is and I need to do what is required to meet their requirements.'
I had 3 sales of 1 clickbank product I was promoting this week and all 3 had different credit card numbers... so you definitely do not need huge dollar amounts going through your clickbank account to meet the min requirement.

However I understand you do this as a hobby and that is fine but try not to let it get you down.
If you do this as a hobby..then it is not worth getting upset over.

Beau, that is very kind of you to offer your help to another member. :)

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
A few things here

First of all it might be a good booster for you to really try to push it harder to get your account out of dormant status. Use it as a positive booster. With that said it’s not an excuse for Clickbank to do what they do!

I Know that it has been a problem that some people have been buying products thru their own aff links and something needed to be done about it. But Clickbank is not the only affiliate network facing this problem and other Affiliate Networks has been able to solve it how come? Is it in Interest for Clickbank?

Anyone that knows anything about affiliate marketing and especially when starting up. Knows that one of the most if not the most important factors is to be able to scale your business as quickly as humanly possible reinvest your money into link building, article writing or any type of outsourcing. Even Mark has some training on this specific topic.

Well If you are going to start out your affiliate carrier with Clickbank you are for sure going to get major stuck with getting out your money to spend it on promotional activities. There are for instance Networks like EWA in CPA business that instantly pays you for your commissions because they know the extreme importance for affiliates to be quickly able to scale their business. Same goes for networks like Rapbank and a host of other aff networks.

And Its even more important to consider starting your business elsewhere if you are considering Clickbank and you are not from any of these countries.

• Australia *
• Austria
• Belgium
• Canada
• France
• Germany
• Hong Kong
• India
• Ireland †
• Mexico
• The Netherlands
• New Zealand *
• Singapore
• Spain
• Switzerland
• United Kingdom

Because you won’t be able to get your money direct deposited to your bank account. Your only option will be Checks and it will kill you with paying around 20-30€/$ for every check you lift. I got lucky enough to have lived in Ireland for a few years and had a bank account there that I had not closed. So I can get my direct deposit that way by transfeering between a few bank accounts.

So all in all there is a lot of Flavs with Clickbank And you should strongly consider your options. After all rapid payements is what is going to let you take your business to the next level. And the Capabilites of your Choosen Affiliate Network is the only one that is going to be able to make the difference how fast they pay you your earned commissions.
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

waken
Trust:
They won't take away "all" the money. They will charge a penalty at the end of each period if there's no activity.

But I see that you mentioned you've made plenty of sales but not from 5 different sources? You mean the same person making multiple purchase? Haha, if yes, that must be you yourself.

But that's ok. Your own purchase counted as a unique buyer, just for your info if you are not aware.

But seriously, just make up a few new campaign to qualify that 5 sales. It's not difficult. Only the first sale is most difficult to make.

Cheers!
Internet Business Made Easy
http://www.NetBizSimplified.com

PremiumMember
easyshopper
Trust:
Hi Paulie,
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with Clickbank. If it's any consolation (probably not) your post has given the heads up to a lot of grateful newbies out there who were not aware of this eventuality. It is clear we should always keep an eye out for alternatives. I hope you have found your own solution in the meantime.
Allan
paulie69
Trust:
Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

@Waken, no I have NEVER bought a product using my own ID. But thanks for your advice anyhow.

For some reason I have not been getting updates on this thread(?) so I apologize for not taking the time to thank all of you guys before now.

And Beau, I have sent you a reply - I hope you receive it and thank you very much.

Hopefully guys I can help you as much .. much appreciated

Regards
Paul.
positivep12
Trust:
I just want to say that I disagree with charging me $5 every 2 weeks because I haven't reached their standards.
And that it has been more than a year and I finally have a check on the way.
But, when it gets here is another story...
Positivep

pete12
Trust:
I made 4 sales and then I emailed clickbank asking the why I hadn't recieved payment yet. A few days later, I had a deposit into my bank account. That is all I did.

This topic was started on Apr 30, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.