Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Should I buy an established website?

nates450r
Trust:

Should I buy an established website?

Has anyone thought about or done this before?
of course the investment would be quite high at first
but on the other hand you would have instant income,email lists,and customer base

i don't think this would be out of the question for me in the future
i have seen sites for $10,000-$7,000,000 and usually the higher the price the more the
website makes (per year)
jasondodd
Trust:
Site flipping (buying and selling websites) is common practice and can be profitable. When youre looking through sites such as sitepoint.com or buysellwebsite.com there are several things youre looking for including sites that are under-developed and that could provide you with some instant monetization through adsense or affiliate links.

Another thing you can keep an eye out for that improves the potential value of a site is if it has an active community - that provides money making opportunities.

There are a lot of high priced sites out there, and mostly these are because the site owner already knows the potential value (or has overvalued!) - what you want to find are the sites where the owner doesnt know the potential!

Site flipping is covered in more detail in Issue 6 of the Affilorama Premium magazine.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

fanatic
Trust:
Depends on your situation.

If you have alot of money but no time, buy a site.

If you have alot of time but no money, don't.

That said, think outside the box.

Spend a couple days/months building up a site/a
couple sites.

Then sell them.

I just sold a site for more than $1000.

Good for the buyer, good for my pockets.

Win-win situation.
Need to outsource article writing or graphics design? Drop me a PM.
Follow me on Twitter? http://twitter.com/kangwei

nates450r
Trust:
wow, thats cool you sold a site,
may i ask was it an affiliate site?
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I think it's a good strategy if you already have some cash and don't want to wait around for the inertia to disappear. That being said, I wouldn't buy a site just because it was making money, it would need to fit into my overall strategy as well.

Sean
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

geoffjackson
Trust:
Another thing here, and i don't mean to be rude so please do NOT take it that way. But if you're asking whether to buy one or not, I don't think you would have the experience to keep it turning a large enough profit. People who buy these sorts of sites have been doing this for years and can instantly see what they need to do to it.

Build up your own small affiliate site.. if it makes $150 a month, you can sell it for probs about $1500-$2000.
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Just a point to keep in mind if you're selling a site is not to push the 'potential' of the site - that really means nothing to a prospective buyer. They need cold, hard revenue figures and traffic reports, preferably built up over at least 12 months to show it's consistent.

That said you can usually sell a site for approx 24 x the monthly revenue so absolutely it can be profitable especially if you've built up a community for your niche.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

This topic was started on Aug 30, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.