Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Rotating Images

feeoshea
Trust:

Rotating Images

Can anyone help me please. Using wordpress. Want to put some images onto the homepage (not the header) that will change every couple of seconds.........Is it possible to do in wordpress and how is it done. (Am using Affilorama theme)
Appreciate the help. By the way, I'd need step by step....this will be very new to me. :)
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Actually, it's not a matter of wordpress... It's a matter of file type. All you need to do is create (or have one created for you) an animated gif file using GIMP, Photoshop, or some other tool, then upload it just like you would any other picture.

I don't know how it is in other programs, but in GIMP, all you need to do is to have each image on a separate layer with the time (2000 ms would be 2 seconds) and/or refresh type (ie replace or combine) after the layer name. So a layer named "cat (1000ms)(replace)" would show for 1 second, replacing whatever frame came before it while "text (4000ms)(combine)" would add whatever was in the layer to the previous layer and show for 4 seconds before going to the next frame.

GIMP really makes this easy because all you have to do is put the images in the layers and then look in the "Filters" menu and under "Animation" for "Optimize (for GIF)" and it will set it up for you or when you save the GIF, it will give you the option to use layers for animation and give you the chance to specify the time and the refresh type for unspecified layers.

(I know GIMP, which is why I gave a brief description of how to do it here. I know Mark recommends Paint.net, which I don't think gives you the ability to do animated images, but there's another program that can be used to take the images to create them into an animated GIF. I forget the name of that program, but it can also be used.)

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

myonlinetraininghub
Trust:
Hi feeoshea,

there are a bunch of plugins for WP that will do what you want - just Google "Wordpress slideshow". One that I have used and like is Smooth Gallery http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net/showcase/timed-gallery/

the installation for Smooth Gallery is quite involved though and does require editing of HTML web pages - but if you have a web designer then it'll be a piece of cake for them.

As Grady says though, an animated GIF may be the easiest solution. If you Google "free animated gif creator" you'll probably find some software you can use to make some.

Phil
Phil
Free Microsoft Office Online Training
http://www.MyOnlineTrainingHub.com

feeoshea
Trust:
Thanks very much for the info - much appreciated.
Grady, I did the GIMP thing and it worked a treat.....took a couple days to figure it out, but it's working. Now I have ANOTHER QUESTION please for you.
Still using GIMP - Is there anyway to make the pictures flow smoothly between each one - at the moment it's just changing them so it's quite abrupt........hope you get what I mean.
Will appreciate your help
Fee
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Fee,

If you look above the optimize options (above the bar), there are several different options that will do transitions. But keep in mind that each transition will add the specified number of frames, which increases the size of the file. So you need to weigh the benefit of the smoother transition with the file size. I don't know how many are using dial up access (slow, right?), but a really large file for them would take a long time to download, increasing the wait time and the likelyhood they'll move away from your site. If you feel you won't get many of these anyway, you may think it worth the larger file size, just something to consider.

If you want to use Blend (which will do a fade from one frame to another), make sure you duplicate the first frame and place one copy at either end of the stack. Then, after running the blend, find the "pure" frames for each image. That would be the frame not in transition. (you can click on the eye to hide/show layers.) Then change the name on this layer to add the length of time to stay on that frame [ex: (5000ms)]. This way, the frame you want to "show" will stay longer than the transition frames.

Of course, all this is getting a bit off IM talk ;) But you asked, so I answered.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

feeoshea
Trust:
Thanks Grady - this will be a weekend - "nut it all out" job. I think it is IM as, hopefully it'll give my site a slight edge - well hope so anyway. I appreciate your time over this.
Fee.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
:D No problem. I know the Affilorama team isn't all that fond of GIMP for the newbies because it does have a bit of a learning curve, but on the other side of that curve, GIMP really is very useful and powerful. I've been using it for several years, and I still don't know how to use all the features it has to offer. I've looked at a couple of other programs, and for the price, I like GIMP the best. I really like how it handles transparency compared to a couple of other programs I know (cough *MS Paint*). :D

Let me know if you have any more questions.

grady

This topic was started on Sep 04, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.