Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Renaming web pages. How will this affect my Google ranking?

PremiumMember
jstalker
Trust:

Renaming web pages. How will this affect my Google ranking?

I'm participating in the AffiloBlueprint program and have learned lots....so much so that I've implemented some of the suggestions into my gift site that is already doing quite well for me and is on the first page of Google for many search terms.

Here's my dilemma. Previously, my page names were underscored and capitalized e.g., John_Wayne.php. I've now made some SEO improvements to each page (there are about 200 pages) and have renamed them to john-wayne.php. If I delete the old versions of my pages, people won't be able to find my site when they click on the link in Google. If I leave both versions of the page on the server, Google won't list the new pages as they'll be seen as duplicate content.

Anybody have any suggesions on how I should handle this?

Thanks.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
You need to do 301 redirects to tell the search engines that the page has been moved permanently. This involves editing your .htaccess file, which sounds scary but it's not too bad once you figure out how to create it!

http://www.affilorama.com/site-building/301-redirects

Then you can delete your old pages. Anybody trying to visit your old page will be automatically redirected to the new page, and the new page will continue to receive pagerank etc from links to the old page.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
jstalker
Trust:
Thanks, Aletta, I'm familiar with editing the .htaccess file. This will be a lot of work for 200 pages!

This topic was started on Jan 16, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.