Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Rankings Drop 71% for EzineArticles

smuigal
Trust:

Rankings Drop 71% for EzineArticles

Hi Everyone,

If you submit articles to Ezinearticles.com you probably have noticed how they have slowed down to what seems like a crawl on submission approvals. My main writer who submits articles for me has had several articles take 10 days to get through the approval process. My personal submissions increased by 2 days, so 4 days total.

These slow approvals are due to the recent slap in rankings to the top article directories, including Hubpages, Associatedcontent and other article directories or what they are calling content farms. Here's what Google says about their new algorithmic update:

In the last day or so we launched a pretty big algorithmic improvement to our ranking—a change that noticeably impacts 11.8% of our queries—and we wanted to let people know what’s going on. This update is designed to reduce rankings for low-quality sites—sites which are low-value add for users, copy content from other websites or sites that are just not very useful. At the same time, it will provide better rankings for high-quality sites—sites with original content and information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on.

I've personally seen some of my page rankings improve since this update so I'm happy about it. The downside is that your EA articles will get less direct traffic from Google, but their PR is still at a 6 so I'm sure backlinks in the resource boxes are still good.

In addition to the slow acceptance rate, they changed the article length from a minimum of 250 to 400. Which is not a big deal since I'm sure most of us write 400 word articles anyway. ;)

When my writer told me how slow the approvals were going I thought about paying for their fast submission approval service. Then I looked at the price - $97.00 a month! WOO! I'll can wait <<thank you>>

The site I didn't see on the list of the top 10 was About.com which is also a site full of articles of all different types of topics. I believe the reason why they didn't get slapped is due to the length of the articles and the high quality of these articles. Also, coming to think about it... maybe it's because they were not topping the charts in page rankings anywho. ?? I dunno. I'm not an expert in this area, and it's sort of a guessing game to some degree since Google really only reveals "some" of their algorithmic changes.

Just a Heads Up,
Chrisi
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

jcdean
Trust:
I wonder how long it will be before the 100s of directories that take articles from AMA and UAW are simply abandoned and stop taking articles.

I wonder if the links from these content farms still have any value at all.
I lost a lot of pages in the update but I am not sure if it was directly due to the update or because the article links to my pages lost value.

I wish I new where to go, seems that I am always chasing the puck, but I know the really good hockey players head to where the puck will soon be.
Respect,
J.C. Dean
http://KillYourDayjob.com

smuigal
Trust:
Hi James,

I think the way to go is more targeted article directories. I don't think Google has issues with article directories as much as the topic's covering everything under the sun. Plus, the quality of the content. It is actually not hard to get your articles (may be a past thing) approved in EA. Plus, before with 250 words and now they have adjusted to 400 which is also providing higher quality instead of something more like a blog post.

UAW and AMA and places like LinkVine post to a lot of very focused niches, which is what you want.

Also remember, these places are losing the top spot in Google, they are still good for backlinks. Articles can be used to drive traffic to your sites but also the backlinks.

As time progresses I believe it simply means that people who provide quality content are going to get more and more attention over places like EA. In fact, it's great news to know that article directories won't be hording the top spots just because they are huge directories with tons of backlinks.

It's a good thing, :)
Chrisi
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

jcdean
Trust:
Thanks Chrisi for letting me know where the puck is going :)
Respect,
J.C. Dean
http://KillYourDayjob.com

mack45
Trust:
Hi I have noticed that doing keyword research in the golf niche when I check the articles that are on the google top ten the rank is just one or a lot of times 0 I do not like ezine for the way they operate but I think it is the end of page rank 5 back links from Ezine Articles. There are a lot better ways like the ones smuigal mentioned and I do not think they will push squidoo and hub pages to much because of the amount of revenue they generate and it is a way more open format but they may be forced to have better content now I think in the end it will be for the better. For the ones who write their own or at least rewrite and check for value. They have been warning for a while about quality working sites.
Pro at basic WP and keyword research willing to coach.mackaybruce@hotmail.com

kakaboo
Trust:
Digging out and looking for a post I came across a few weeks ago...

The Real Reason Behind the Alogrithimic update (Example by fear):
http://makemoneyonlinegrizzly.com/make- ... y-example/

I dont really think the approval times matter that much if you are using Ezinearticles for traffic?

E.g if you get approved in 3 days before and now 5 days, it just means your articles get shown on the web 2 days later... just maintain a consistent posting everyday and your articles will still be published on a consistent basis.. isnt that right?

I dont think its worth it to try to get a backlink from Ezine with your unique articles, much better to just try and get some traffic from there.. though I suspect some of their stats there are skewed.

This topic was started on Mar 25, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.