Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Questions about Pen Names / Pseudonyms

elyfields
Trust:

Questions about Pen Names / Pseudonyms

Howdy!

Just a little something (I hope can help).

Notes:
a. Using pen names is fine. No argument with that.
b. Short answers are encouraged, please :) But long ones are totally okay too.

For those who use pen names:

1. How many sites do you own?
2. How many pen names do you use?
3. How do you make up pen names? E.g., similar to your real name, popular names, names that are "psychologically" stimulating (?), etc.
4. Have you done guest posting under a pen name?
5. Re: guest posting: How many pen names have you done it with?
6. Re: guest posting: Any downside, upside, leftside, rightside?
7. How do you promote a pen name / persona?
8. Any awesome experience with a pen name / persona?
9. Was there a site/instance in which you should've used your real name instead? Why?
10. Whew. That's all!

Thanks in advance, everyone.
Ely

kurt
Trust:
I think there's a couple of good reason for using pen names:

1. If you don't want people to know who you really are then you could use a pen name. For example, maybe you have a website about how to cure yeast infections, but you don't want people to know you as the yeast infection expert.

2. If you plan on getting into multiple niches you might also want to use a different pen name in each one. You want to build authority in each niche. If people are seeing the same name and face across different niches they might start to doubt your credibility because it's hard to believe that someone could be an expert on so many different things.

If you have AffiloJetpack you probably will eventually be in more than one niche since it gives you access to 5 different niche jetpacks.

The only time I would ever use my real name is if it was a niche that I was truly passionate about and wanted to be known for my expertise. If you plan on being in the public eye - being in your own videos, then you might want to use your real name also. Although you don't have to. If you can come up with a nickname you like better you could go with that.

There is a guy who has Youtube videos where he teaches about (IFAK's) Individual First Aid Kits. He also sells them. He goes by the nickname "SkinnyMedic". I think that's a good nickname that is probably easier for people to remember than if he were to go by his real name. So if you can come up with a catchy clever nickname that would be easy for people to remember, it could be better than going by your real name.

I'm on my first jetpack site. I haven't done guest posting yet. I want to get a few more articles on my website before I do that. But, I am going to use a pen name when I do. I've also used the same name on my site - it shows at the top of each article along with the published date. I signed up to some forums in my niche using the same name as well. I will also put it on my "about me" page if I make one. And I will use it anywhere else that I publish content.

I do have a method that I recently came up with for coming up with pen names which I believe can be psychologically stimulating. I'll just copy and paste it from the Warrior Forum since I already shared it there the other day. It was in response to a guy who was trying to come up with a good domain name for his SEO business.

What about tying your name (pen name) into your domain name. I plan on eventually getting into a few different niches and I decided that I would use a different pen name in each niche, but keep my actual first name for all of them - just change the last name for each niche to make it easy.

And for the last name you could use a last name that is also an adjective or a name that means something. You could do a quick Google search for "names that are also adjectives" or "names that also mean something". But, pick one that goes along with what you're doing.

You help people rank High in the search engines. You help them reach a Top spot. So if you wanted to be known for that, you could use the last name High for your pen name or Top. These are real last name btw, I just checked the whitepages to make sure. You also essentially help people make more money so you could use a last name like Banks or Green (green as in money). Or Swift if you can deliver results swiftly.

If you consider the way the brain works and how it links things, perhaps having such a name will cause people to link the adjective meaning to you on a subconscious level. Some of these adjective names may seem a bit silly to use, but some aren't as obvious. I came up with a last name that I like the other day that is similar to another word, but it's one letter off, so it's not exactly the same, but I think subconsciously it could still make people think of the word that it's similar to and link it to me. I don't want to share it though because I want to use it later, but that's something else you can think about - words that sound like other words or are spelled very similar to other words.

After you have a last name you can tie that last name into your business domain name also. Maybe your first name is Jim, and you decide to use the pen name Jim Swift which works on you clients subconsciously because they want nothing more than to see some swift results from you. So you sign your name "Jim Swift" on all of your articles. You have a domain name like SwiftSEO.com or SwiftMarketing.com.

If you think Swift is too obvious, you could try to find a last name that is similar to that like Swif, Jim Swif with your domain name being SwifMarketing.com. Your email would be, Jim@SwifMarketing.com.

Hope that helps.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
1. How many sites do you own?

>>> 2.
2. How many pen names do you use?

>>> 2.
3. How do you make up pen names? E.g., similar to your real name, popular names, names that are "psychologically" stimulating (?), etc.

>>> I pick out names I like.
4. Have you done guest posting under a pen name?

>>> No.
5. Re: guest posting: How many pen names have you done it with?

>>> None.
6. Re: guest posting: Any downside, upside, leftside, rightside?

>>> I haven't done any guest posting. I have written for other websites but as a ghost writer.
7. How do you promote a pen name / persona?

>>> It's similar to promoting your website. You comment in blogs, join discussions in forums related to your niche. You share information/content under the name or persona you're promoting.
8. Any awesome experience with a pen name / persona?

>>> Haven't experienced anything that will fall under "awesome".
9. Was there a site/instance in which you should've used your real name instead? Why?

>>> This hasn't come up and I don't think it ever will because I prefer to keep my real name separate from the websites I create.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

elyfields
Trust:
Hey Cecille,

Awesome! That's what I'm talking about! ;)

Too bad though, you don't do guest posting/blogging with them. (May I ask why, btw?) Because I'm about to pitch guest posts. I have only one site, and it's under a pen name.

Thanks!
Ely

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I "ghost write" for other blogs and sites. This means my articles are posted as if they are written by the owners of these sites.

I would do guest blogging for my sites using my pen names but this opportunity has not come around yet for my websites. :)

All the best with your guest posts!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

This topic was started on Aug 03, 2015 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.