Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Question about Google searching engine rankings

easyrider
Trust:

Question about Google searching engine rankings

After I followed James' suggestion to post on niche blogs, I posted a (non-hyperlinked) link on a major blog and as a result probably got 600 people to come to this page on my website. Before this post, I was not ranking in the top 100 for this keyword. However, 1.5 weeks later I am now ranking at 21 for it in Google. I would like to know why this is the case. I have been told by others that getting traffic to your site does not contribute to search engine rankings, but my experience in this case seems to indicate otherwise. I would be interested in people's thoughts.

PS. I have not detected any extra links to this page over this period of time. Also, I have very few links to this page at all and the keyword has 5,400 exact searches per month (12,100 broad).
Greg

PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
I have another auxiliary statement that seems to prove your point. Here, ThomasJeffersonCenter.com is a PR3 website. The only links the site has are links from related in-house websites. Using SEO Quake you can see that the pages have no keywords or description.

If visitor numbers are not causing the site to receive a PR3 ranking what is?

This site is one of my clients. Their search traffic is nil. They receive their traffic from word-of-mouth along with other regular non web type advertising.

The overall traffic numbers is the only factor I have been able to determine that have caused the website to be worthy of the PR3. Besides adding in a description and keywords what actions need to be performed to get this site showing well in the search engines?

Margene Smith
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
@Margene, keyword optimizing the posts and building links other than inhouse links will help get the rankings up. You might look up sites and social communities covering US historical events and doccuments to try and get guest posts.

Create some engaging content. the site is very well written technically, but it puts me to sleep. don't have to start over, just liven up the content a little. Just the other day, I was showing my brother how simple formatting can really liven up the engagement on a particular post. Its not just the words you use, but how you use line breaks, headings, italics, and all those cool tricks that grab someone's attention.

Add some articles to theblog ( so far I only see 1.) and try to build up some good content. You have a forum but no posts in the forum. Honestly, I would focus on building up the blog, and getting a following started, then add the forum in once you have a community of people coming to the site regularly. I think you are trying to do too many different things right from the start (all this is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.. :) )

Create some blog posts that are more geared to starting a discussion rather than just giving information. Loads of history buffs would probably like the kind of information you are sharing, but you have to get the ball rolling. people don't want to start it off, and if you don't have any kind of engagement, you won't get people sharing your site just because it exists.

@EAsyRider, I have always said that you will get more SEO benefit from direct traffic than from building links. The more direct traffic you get through your links, the less links you need to get higher rankings. PR doesn't really matter.

I have pages ranking high with less than 20 links to them, because those links bring a lot of direct traffic to my site. Also, some of this might be the Google dance. Sometimes my pages will jump up in the rankings following some blog commenting where I get direct traffic, but then it will fall away again after a couple of weeks.

focus on that direct traffic, and having engaging content on your site. When you do, people will begin sharing your content (if its good enough), and the more people you have sharing your site for you, the more sticky it will be in search rankings, without having to pay loads of money to SEO services that are just spamming low quality sites for backlinks.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
James thanks for the suggestions.

I will hopefully be able to implement some of them. This is being done through a committee organization therefore things move rather slowly at times.

Again, thanks for the help.

Margene

This topic was started on Sep 30, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.