Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Quality Sites versus Autoblogged Sites ?

samb
Trust:

Quality Sites versus Autoblogged Sites ?

Hi,

Since the release of Mage Monster I have learnt about the concept of "autoblogging software". To me this is an approach where software has been designed to automatically generate a large number of blog sites using spinning and/or translation techniques to create unique content. Obviously the business model here is on "Quantity of sites" and quite a lot at that.... potentially around 500 to be successful. This is in contrast to having a small number of quality and hand crafted sites that potentially have deeper partnership with the merchants.

What are your views on either approach and which is more successful. I suspect Google would prefer the Quality approach ! However whether one makes more money through say 5 quality sites than 50 - 500 autoblogged sites I am unsure. I think I would sleep easier if I was putting up 5 quality sites, but perhaps that is just me !!!

Appreciate any feedback.
PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
I'd opt for the few quality ones so that you can go and grow them into something much bigger. These will make you much more money in the long term as well.

On the other hand, the autoblogs will struggle to get traffic because the quality simply may not even be good enough to rank high in Google with all the latest updates. Plus, the money may not be as good if it's not going to be converting well.

It comes down to value, and the truth it nowadays with all the crap on the Internet, you need to give value to win in this IM game. Everything else will just be left behind in the shadows and not be seen. So you can have more control with produce better quality with your own sites.

This actually reminded me of something I read from Matt Carter about he he said he'd prefer 5 sites which made him $100 via Adsense ($20 each), compared to 100 sites making him $100 ($1 each). Even though individually, the latter is easier to achieve, the first one shows better growth and consistency. Use that first formula and attempt to make 100 sites, then you'll be sitting on the pile of cash.

One last tip though, money shouldn't be the goal. If you're making sites solely to make money from, you won't get anywhere. You need to provide value in whatever form, and if you have even just a little purpose or passion for it, it will help you in the long run and the money will start knocking on the door. Don't get me wrong, the money is important and you need to pick niches that are rich with cash flow, but this is yet another reason to go for the 5 quality sites, because in the customer's eyes, you're really caring.
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

samb
Trust:
n0thsa,

Really interesting reply thanks... I have this mantra..." Give to receive" and I think you have described this well. Yes I agree the "purpose" has to be much bigger than the money. There is this other magic word called "serendipity" which I guess is akin your "money will start knocking on the door" idea.

In my day job I organise events for other businesses voluntarily and it has created good and trustworthy leads.

So thanks.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
For sure, there is money to be made both ways. Some people build 1 or 2 quality sites while maintaining a couple of "automated" sites while some others prefer one over the other. It all depends on what your strategy is. I prefer quality over quantity because, I earn more with the former in the long run.

Money is a great motivation and it will always be the primary goal in any business venture. What I like about building quality sites is that not only do I earn money through it, I get a feeling of accomplishment that I am able to share ideas and give value to anyone who visits my website/s.

My two cents. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

samb
Trust:
Cecille,

Thanks for the post and very useful comments. I also concur with the feeling of "accomplishment" and actually genuinely helping people.

Out of interest I have just been reading some affiliate T & Cs for a merchant and autoblogging is a definate no no. Has to be a quality site helping people out. Interestingly PPC is also banned. Basically no Spam of any nature, all email must be opt-in and sites should be FTC compliant... ie full disclosure etc.

Out of interest, is there any international affiliate trade body that tries to regulate quality? Is there is quality mark for affiliate sites that adhere to certain standards?

Thanks.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
In answer to your question about international groups, no there are not any governing bodies. it is left up to individual site owners. the internet is really hard to regulate, which is why there are so many scam artists prowling around here. there is basically noone to keep a leash on them unfortunately.

When it comes to quality vs quantity, of course I will always say quality rules. these spam autoblogs have worked for a short while, but quality will last you for years. The search engines are already learning how to tell the automated blogs from the real ones, and they are getting rid of the trash.

I often see people complaining about not getting rankings and I find that about 80% of the time, quality is the issue.

the problem is that quality is often a matter of opinion, so you have to determine what is quality to your niche, not necessarily what it means to you personally.

I had to learn this from experience. Your customers will determine whether you have a quality site or not, by their actions when they visit your pages. Some of my own sites, I cant stand, but when I changed them to something that I thought was better, my customers revolted. So, I changed it back, even though I thought it was lower quality, just to keep them happy.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

samb
Trust:
Thanks for the feedback. Having read a lot today about this I can see how quality content and presentation is the key... which was my hunch. I nearly bought into an autoblogging system, but decided against and instead to focus on a small number of well crafted sites targetting well specified niches.

Many thanks all.

This topic was started on Jul 18, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.