Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Promoting music as an affliate product...could it work?

05money
Trust:

Promoting music as an affliate product...could it work?

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to run an idea by some of you, and even Mark, if you read this I’d really like your input on this new idea I came up with.

If you could distribute content such as new music from an independent artist, and then turn around and use an affiliate oriented payout plan to pay royalties to the artist and the affiliates promoting his material. Do you believe you could promote such a product (branding an artist?) and turn some profits?

I don’t have all the details of how such a website should work, but by creating a 60/30 payout to the artist /affiliate (or even 70/30), instead of selling maybe 20 to a 50 units of a product on release, you could easily sell up to a 1000 units and even more.. . (by promoting to the right niche obviously)

I know that CD sales are in decline and that music downloads (pirated or not) is ever increasing. By sharing the wealth with the people distributing your products (your fans), it can only help to curb piracy.

Thanks, for reading and I’d like to hear what others have to say about using the affiliate model as a way to develop some careers for independent artists.

Wayne L.
cosmolito
Trust:
An interesting idea. I've always got my mind going too, thinking of new ways of doing things - so far I haven't had much success with any of them though because I really think you gotta just DO the idea. But easier said than done. I actually have something on the burner and I think I'll do it this time :)

But as for your idea; maybe do some keyword research to find out if people are actually putting in search terms that would suggest there is a market for little known idie bands. My guess is there is but you would have to get specific. I know that I don't usually search google for new music. I usually use websites like Pandora, but that is just my limited world.
---------------------------------
here's some interesting numbers :

new music rock alternative 2,900
new music pop rock 1,600
new music rock releases 1,600 4,400
new music rock 27,100 49,500
new music hard rock 880 9,900
new music rock and 390
new music for rock 1,300

I say look into it
“Online social media is quickly eradicating off page SEO as a viable means of gaining rankings.”
- Charles Heflin (cutting edge SEO expert)
www.cosmokeenan.com/synnd

jasondodd
Trust:
theres really no limit to what you can promote as an affiliate, its a business-model thats been around as long as saleman have. obviously digital products like music are easier to sell because theres no physical product involved - as mentioned above you need to make sure theres a market first, and research "buying" keywords i.e. you dont want people just searching for info

i remember reading an article saying that a lot of UK teenagers were using paid services to get their music instead of pirating them since it was easier - which shows its not about cost its about convenience, good to keep that in mind when you build your site
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

05money
Trust:
Awesome, Thanks for the feedback and will certainly look into it a bit more, given it does sound like this could be a winning niche if the right amount of research is thrown at it.

Thanks again!!

This topic was started on Jul 31, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.