Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Pointers when deciding on a Domain Name

PremiumMember
pelican
Trust:

Pointers when deciding on a Domain Name

Hi there
Truth is i have about 5 half finished website ideas on my desk top that need to get out there.

I seem to get stuck when choosing a domain name what are the main things to consider when choosing one.

Also what are you feelings - should you build lots of little sites that all link back to a main site or can you just build one site with lots of pages.

Thanks Moira
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Moira,
Well for a domain name you should try to get at least 1 keyword in your domain name if you can.
There is not that much to it when choosing a domain name. You don't want to have heaps of dashes in the name of course but 1 or maybe 2 is ok from my tests, (others may argue that point though.. but that's ok)
Try to get a .com if you can, if not then a .net.
You can read a discussion about this here...
seo/domain-name-coventions-t2975.html

As for back linking you should spend a day reading up on this page...
http://www.affilorama.com/search-engine-optimization
Lots of great info there.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
elogic0007
Trust:
Hi
Go for a keyword in the domain that gets a decent amount of searches via google on a daily basis, I would say anything from 85 daily searches upwards, I have tested this and hence my recommendation,there are other factors such as the number of competing website pages and how many sites have the keyword in or one their home page, but from what I have tested so far if you domain name is a main keyword then it gives it a better boost, also there must be a page on the site that relates to the main keyword, this i have tested and again recommended..

take action and best of success to you

This topic was started on Feb 12, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.