Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Plagiarized content...is copyscape enough to check this?

rubanz
Trust:

Plagiarized content...is copyscape enough to check this?

So I discovered that one of my writers gave me plagiarized content! I'm not so worried about getting my money back or having them re-write the content for me, what I am wondering is about what do I do with all the articles out there???

I have posted these articles to many article directories and not to mention on AMA who posts to tons and tons of blogs...

I dont even know which articles are plagiarized or not...

1. If I pass these articles through copyscape and they turn out clean, is that enough to assume they aren't plagiarized?
2. Should I delete all my article submissions and just start over (which would SUCK but far outweighs the risk of breaking any laws or stealing someone else's content which is just against my moral code...)

What would anyone experienced recommend as the best course of action? I have already contacted Elance who will help me get my money back as well as AMA to let them be aware, but other than that this is a whole new experience for me!

Thankyou in advance for any help you can provide
Last edited by michellerana on 13 Oct 09 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Rubanz,
If you got your money back then you really don't have a right to display the content anymore as you did not pay for it in the end. Also the fact that it is not original content.
I don't know the full details of what content it is or what was copied but if you think the owner won't mind using the content for a newsletter series then that might be ok.
If you feel it is better to be safe than sorry, then just put this down to a learning experience and move on.
I would always check copyscape before paying someone.
You can also put a sentence in google search and see if that sentence pops up anywhere.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

rubanz
Trust:
Thanks for your reply Troy. I did not get my money back yet...it will be a very tedious process to take down not only my website pages but also all my article submissions! WOW! Of course I'd rather be safe, but not only that I want to be moral...The plagiarized content is basically a couple of sentences that have been taken word for word or just re-worded-either way copyscape picks it up!

So is copyscape the best way to see whether or not an article is 100% original and unique? Geez I should have never skipped that step...I was a noob and it seems I had to learn the hard way! Oh well on the bright side I do love learning....!
wollowra
Trust:
Copyscape is ok or just put the sentence in Google search.
I would not even bother about taking down the article submissions that were auto generated by AMA.
That would be a tedious job.
I doubt also that AMA would contact ALL the sites they have submitted to, just for a few sentences.

However if you have put any manual submissions anywhere EG: Ezinearticles .. you may want to just reword them in your own words.
I wouldn't be taking down my website, I would just change the articles and optimize for the keywords.

Nothing wrong with rewording a couple of sentences in my opinion.
It's when you copy a whole manuscript or site and reword it to mean the same thing that it becomes Plagiarized content.
This can be a grey area so just do what you feel is right.

Just my 2 cents.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

rubanz
Trust:
Thanks Troy I appreciate the input

p.s those graphics you made me still look good!
wollowra
Trust:
I Have done so many over the past few months I can not even remember what it was for..lol
But thanks for the thanks.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

rumi298
Trust:
copyscape is enough for Plagiarism Checking if you have paid subscription otherwise it is not enough for perfect checking.
http://dupeoff.com for duplicate content checker.

This topic was started on Oct 13, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.