Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Personal Branding for products in different industries?

PremiumMember
mjalinsky
Trust:

Personal Branding for products in different industries?

Hello Everybody, My first day with Affilorama, looking forward to getting to know a lot of you and will work hard to also bring valuable content to the community.

I joined to learn more about affiliate marketing as I felt it would help myself get smarter at marketing my own products and services and it intrigues the daylight out of me.. I also do have some products and services and am looking to affiliate market also.

My question is about branding, personal branding. I understand that the better you can brand yourself as a expert in your industry, social media, building a list is great, but how do I brand my self as an expert for several products in completely different industries.

For example, I want to focus more on my social media and my blog. My career and passion is Mobile marketing. But I also really want to market as an affiliate a service from a company that works with mortgage brokers and another that offers merchant processing. I know both owners, friends and excellent services.

How do I position myself in those industries as an expert, while still working to be know as the expert in mobile marketing?

I was starting my Facebook fan page, twitter, linked-in and Google +, do i just create a separate one for each and market for fans sperately? what if people look up my name and find I have 10 things in 10 different industries, is that bad?

Or do i leave my name out of it and set them up as the product name or service brand beside mobile?

I hope this come off clear, I see internet marketing experts "Joe Blow" who has done a great job at branding himself as the expert, tons of followers and fans, but that's all he does and only sells products in those industries. What if he also wanted to be the expert in dog training because he is really good at that to?

This may be a dummy question, but i appreciate those who try and offer their thoughts.

Matthew
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
first of all, are you an expert? if not then don't try to be one. you can become an authority figure, without being an expert, by sharing really helpful information.

I do that by using curation, sharing helpful information and becoming a source for the latest industry news, rather than setting myself up as an expert. Perhaps you could interview the experts and share those interviews for your content, piggybacking on their expertise to create authority for yourself. you could do those interviews as written posts, or record them as audio or video.

Many people also go the rout of using pen names for different niche markets. I still would be cautious of trying to be another expert that really isn't an expert.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
mjalinsky
Trust:
That"s good advice J, defiantly food for thought.

Thank you
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
James has raised a very good point here:

first of all, are you an expert? if not then don't try to be one. you can become an authority figure, without being an expert, by sharing really helpful information.

My idea of branding as far as affiliate marketing is concerned is to turn your site (your site, not yourself) as an authority site. This means a site that is referred to by other sites within the niche, a site that is used a reference, or is referenced in other sites within the niche. This way, your site gains popularity, but does not brand you as web owner as an expert, merely someone who knows much about the niche and is dishing out helpful info. You're referring to other authority sites, and they in turn refer to yours. This also leaves you to pursue other interests and put up sites about them too.

One person cannot be an expert on a lot of fields. You can be knowledgeable on a certain number of niches, but an expert on only a few of them. You'll find that there are marketers out there that are using pen names. This is because they have several sites in various, completely un-related niches, where it would be impossible to be an expert, or even an authority on all of it.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Absolutely. Cecille :)

I just wanted to share a quick video on being authentic that I think is really relevant to this thread. In fact, as I recorded it, I thought about this thread as well as the real issue that inspired me to record it that is going on outside of my business...

Authenticity is essential to building your brand.
Branding is all about 1 thing: Building Trust.

Without it, you won't see any sales. with it, you can master any niche you are interested in going into.

If you try to create fake expertise, and you get found out, you will destroy any good things you do at the same time. Trust is an all or nothing thing for most people, and if you lose trust in one aspect, they won't trust anything else you have said or done.
hope
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

This topic was started on Jul 17, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.