Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

PC or MAC? Apple v Windows?

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:

PC or MAC? Apple v Windows?

I wasn't sure what I was comparing here, I think just an Apple Mac Notebook vs a regular Dell/HP/Asus one (with Windows). So I just called it PC.

Anyways, I need a new working machine, I looked briefly on another forum and seems that MAC is more popular with some marketers online, but I've personally always been comfortable with PC.

Anyone got suggestions? What do you guys use and why?

PS: If I do get "both" would there be any difference? Or is that just a waste of money?
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

easyrider
Trust:
One problem with a Mac is that you can't use Traffic Travis on it. Other than this, it would probably just be a matter of preference.
Greg

essexboyracer
Trust:
It is all a matter of preference, but before you choose on a windows or Mac computer, try a Linux based one, you can do this for FREE by downloading a LiveCD (one that boots into the O/S without changing your original computer) at http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

If you decide you like linux and in particular ubuntu, you can install it for FREE, straight off the LiveCD. Dont worry that its free, that doesn't mean it is inferior or poor quality. Linux based machines power 60% of the worlds websites, so that should give you some confidence in it's ability.

Ubuntu has a windows emulator called Wine so you may be able to run Traffic Travis on it. If not, Just get a Windows disc off ebay and run that as a virtual machine on ubuntu
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hah this is always an interesting question and far too often it provokes a "flame war" when it gets asked.

Here at Affilorama we actually use a fairly even distribution of Windows, Mac and Linux machines; I personally use a Macbook at work, and a PC at home.

As the others have said, it really is a matter of preference - most of your business is based online, which means the experience is going to be largely the same whichever you use. That said, keep in mind that a lot of Affiliate Marketing software you can download is Windows-only, and trying to get it to work on Mac or Linux may require a level of technical expertise that is either beyond you, or not worth your time to setup.

For you personally, Ashton, I'd wholeheartedly recommend going Windows again - you're already used to it, which means time saved against having to learn how to use a Mac.

Jono

P.S. If anyone says Macs are more stable than PCs, I call poppycock and balderdash - I crash my Macbook far more often than I crash my PC; that said, I am really not kind to my machines - I thrash them to their limits (and then further)... heck, when the robot revolution occurs, I'll probably be the first against the wall for crimes against machines :P
PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Haha, thanks guys, appreciate the responses. I definitely considered the whole learning experience again if I had chosen a Mac. As for Linux, I've used it in the past, but the only reason I moved off it was because of some programs not being compatible.
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

ineedq
Trust:
I use a Macbook and it's loaded with VMWare that is running a Windows 7 OS, Windows 2008 server and a Linux "Live" ubuntu. That helps me with whatever PC or linux application I may need. It is my preference, as it runs faster than a windows PC. It is also a matter of financies, as Macs cost quite a bit more.
articles
Trust:
Getting both, to me, would be a waste of money. Since there are more compatible SEO programs for a PC I would go with that. Macs are nice. I have one at work. But they're more for design in my opinion. I agree with easyrider in the fact that Traffic Travis isn't available on Mac. That tool has helped me get ranked high and I would have never found it unless I used a PC and could download it. Hope that helps.
Find out how I've made over $50,000 from Google.
http://howtomakemoney.com.co

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
"It is my preference, as it runs faster than a windows PC"
This is what made me consider MAC as an option in the first place.

"But they're more for design in my opinion."
This was my opinion as well, design, both music and graphics.

I think I'm going to go with a PC. Found some pretty sick machines that definitely wouldn't disappoint (hopefully). Thanks for all the help guys.

PremiumMember
kieran
Trust:
My wife has a Mac, I have a PC laptop. When we travel we take her Mac because it is lighter and has a better battery. But it drives me up the wall when I do my IM work! As others have said above, most IM software, Traffic Travis, etc, are designed for Windows and personally, I do not like virtual software. It always causes trouble sooner or later.

So, PC every time for me. Just my pennyworth, though.
Kieran

www.moneymakingbuzz.com - the Key to Online Wealth
www.buildthingsdirect.com - the Top Site for Home Improvement Projects

jblank1978
Trust:
I agree with many here. My preference for everyday use is a PC. Graphics and use of music programs I like to use the Mac for. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. It really is about preference. Macs are priced higher, if that is a difference for you. PC prices have come down a lot. Apple prices are not moving at all due to Apple's popularity.

This topic was started on Jul 21, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.