Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Not making any sales - what should I do?

PremiumMember
wall69
Trust:

Not making any sales - what should I do?

Hi Everyone,

I'm contacting you all in desperation here. I've been plucking away at two niche sites since the middle of May this year. I've written sooooo many articles I could die in self defence. I've registered the URL's with loads of directories (literally hundreds). Added links to Squidoo lenses. Social bookmarked - although I'm not entirely sure I'm doing that right as I can't seem to get the stumble logo to appear next to my listings in the searches.

And the grand total revenue from these efforts is.................wait for it...............wait for it...........

NIL.....NADA......ZERO......ZILCH......NOTHING.........NOT A DIME (OK I'm trying to add humour as I'm on the brink of insanity lol)

Seriously though, after all this I'm managing a grand total of around 40 visits per day max. In total I've had around 1,000 visitors each site.

I've not even had any revenue from adsense which is astonishing!

So guys, in total desperation I'm asking you to brutally and 100% honestly tell me what you think of my sites please?

http://hemorroidscures.com
http://menopausecause.com

If they were made of paper they'd have been ripped into a million pieces by now so whatever you say can't hurt anymore than hours and hours of futile effort.

This is the post of a woman on the edge who's not sleeping trying to figure out what's gone wrong and not a true representation of her usual upbeat, positive self.

Congradulations to all those who are making sales, I really mean that. Well done.

Critique away!

Nicola
mjsmale
Trust:
Hi Nicola

I'm no expert but do you have tracking on your site? You need first to monitor traffic to ensure you've got a benchmark.

Once that's installed you can go for some PPC traffic using one of the cheaper sources (not Google)

I'd suggest facebook ads or maybe Miva.

Please feel free to contact me if you want more help. My site should link below and you can join my list and from the download page you'll see links to my blogs, facebook, twitter etc. Or email me direct mjsmale@gmail.com

Best wishes
Michael Smale
jasondodd
Trust:
Nicola ... I think for starters it really sounds like you need take a bit of a break from it, maybe even a holiday just to clear your head, get your sleeping pattern in order and return to your normal self - no business is worth sacrificing yourself for.

The other thing with any business is that sometimes you find yourself down a no-exit street with your chosen niche and the only thing you can do is bow out gracefully, pick up the pieces and chalk it up to experience. Use what youve learnt to reinvent your site - it doesnt have to be a different niche - but just tackle it with a fresh approach, and take on board the comments from other members, they've probably been there and know how you feel!
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

feeoshea
Trust:
Hi Nicola,
Your site is lovely and you've put in a lot of work. Just one thing your connection to the SEE MENOPAUSE PRODUCT REVIEWS is not working, also you don't appear to have this page listed on the left menu.
Having been through menopause myself at an early age, you appear to have covered all the basics.
Some of the titles of your pages are probably directed more to women who are seeking information rather than solutions when they type into google. eg your page Should You Worry About Menopause Discharge? - maybe try How to Fix Menopause Discharge - just a thought.
See if the product you're promoting has some pictures you can use on your pages - there's one of the book on her sales page that you may be able to copy onto your site - or find other pictures of older women?????
Hope this is of some help.
Your hemorroid site is much better - brighter - more pictures and good content, so visually really great. - maybe people don't search out hemorroid cures????
I'm still learning too and, to date, only one sale - so don't give up!
Cheers Fee
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Nicola,
1 thing I see right away...
You have adsense on your site.
This is fine if you want to earn money with adsense and have them click off the page to buy someone else's product.
I also see you have 37 backlinks with zero anchor text. when getting backlinks.. try to put some anchor text in there.
I don't know anything about this niche so sorry I can not help more.
Have you got unique articles from the backlinks. Have you joined AMautomation?

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
wall69
Trust:
Thanks for everyone's response :)

Troy,

Please tell me more? You've got my ears pricking up lol

I've joined AMAutomation and I've focused on long tail keyword phrases, putting them into a catchy title e.g. 7 Tips To Getting Relief From Piles

I thought I'd covered the anchor text, are you refering to the affiliate links that I've put in half way through and at the end of each article?

My page rankings aren't too bad. If you do a Google search for "get rid of piles" I'm on page 1. So it's not a rankings problem it just seems to be that visitors don't seem to want to buy, which has led me to think that my site must be offputting in some way?

Looking on AWStats on Hostgator I have a bounce rate of 74% but those that stay longer tend to be staying up to 30 mins which suggests that they like the content?

Before going into this niche I took a look at the gravity on Clickbank and could see that it was fairly high so there must be someone making good sales?

I didn't put adsense on my static page and I take on board what you say about it, I guess you get so desperate that you end up feeling that anything is better than nothing at all. Do you think I should remove it?

On average, how long does it usually take to get a niche site to start earning revenue? Maybe I'm being too optimistic as it's only been 2 months?

I know it's a long post with lots of questions but you've stirred up those grey cells now :)

Thanks in advance,

Nicola
geoffjackson
Trust:
Just to give some input here;

Get rid of the adsense! It's not worth the few pennies, (or cents for the americans :D) when you could make the big commission.

Secondly, 2 months is not a long time. It is of course possible to have made sales by now, but it's not unusual not to. I've checked your site out for backlinks and I see less than 20 for each site in yahoo (google doesn't show links very well.. never has done). So I would set yourself up a linking strategy, aiming to get 20 a week from blogs and forums.

Hope that gives you something to think about, and good luck :)

If I can help more, just ask.
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Nicola,
Yep what Marshall said..
I checked the backlinks in traffic travis and it had 37 without anchor text... so I just mentioned it.
Keep plugging away and give it another few weeks.
Hey, if you choose a niche and it has no sales then you need to look at how people view your site and is it converting.
Does it look professional etc.. does it have good information etc..
Sometimes you can pick a niche that doesnt do well for you and that is when I would turn it into an adsense site as well as affiliate links... but I wouldn't do that with adsense for at least six mths.
Just my opinion.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

jjperkins
Trust:
Hi Nicola,
firstly, you have our sympathy, we're sort of in the same boat.
Your sites are pleasing to the eye, and we can see the work you've put in so don't want to be too brutal.

But there were quite a few things we noticed that might put buyers off.
There are a lot less than 30 articles, they look as if they tend to be on the short side too.
The text is rather blocky, not broken up by headings, or lists. We were told to have no more than 2-3 sentences before breaking it, as people don't want to read large blocks of text.
The graphics are not in the recommended place, and very few have a call to action in them. In the menopause site there aren't any graphics yet, and the links are either non-existent or not working.
Generally the links tend to be below the fold and not large enough in font size.
Your review articles are at the bottom of the sidebar instead of the top on the hemorroids site, and not there yet on the menopause site, which has no monetization on the home page.

And just to echo the others the adsense is distracting and detracting, it has to go!

Don't let it get you down, I know it's hard when sales are so hard to come by but I still believe we're in the right place to learn :-)

And if you'd like to run a critical eye over our site please do, we're still tweaking and would appreciate the input.
Best Regards, J & J

smuigal
Trust:
I agree with the Adsense issue. However, I would just add that your adsense block should be the 300 x 360 rather than the banner across the page as you have it. I have adsense sites and I have the text go around the adsense box.

I would also recommend you review Marks steps again as (I really didn't have a lot of time so I may have missed it) I didn't notice any reviews of the products.

Reviews for the product are going to give you more sales. Follow Marks layout on reviewing products. Image, star ratings, short clip of a testimonial etc...

Next I would think about your keywords that you are targeting. Whatever product you are selling check in Google keyword tool to see if people are looking up the actual name of the product, ebook, person, and focus on the "buying" keywords is possible.

Hope that helps,
Smuigal
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

This topic was started on Jul 27, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.