Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Newbie droppin in!

keirturdus
Trust:

Newbie droppin in!

Hey guys,

My name's Keirt. It's pronounced like Kurt. It's a pretty unique name I suppose.

Anyway, I'm a 15 year old high school student and I've always been fascinated by making money online. I have made around $50 over 6 months writing articles for a website called Triond. Most of the time, the articles I submit there are my school work.

Here I am, still 15, on my summer break and I've developed an interest in AM. I've gone through the introduction, and market research lessons.

I'm now working on the site-building lessons. However, I came across one problem. Money. I don't have a source of income nor a credit card to pay for hosing fees, etc.

Now my question to you guys is, are there any free web hosting and domain sites?

Please keep in my mind that I really don't have access to money as my mom is very strict about spending money online. I will, however, re-invest what I make into other tools I may need such as AffiloBlueprint.

Thanks guys!
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hi keirt. start learning all you can. you are young, but good to see you are interested in looking ahead. Not sure about the legalities of you doing things, with your age. Anyway, there are free sites, but most of them don't like people using them for business purposes, which this is a business. one place that a lot of people have had success with is Hubpages. www.hubpages.com

they are not as strict on affilaite links, and they will allow you to set up revenue sharing on adsense, and your own amazon account. that being said, I recommend getting your own domain and hosting asap. its only 10/month, and if you want a business that will last, you need your own place on the web.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

keirturdus
Trust:
i've contacted support and they pointed me towards me www.1and1.com. You can get 1 year free web hosting and domain and after that one year, you pay recurring payments. I'm just worried that in that year, it will be a waste for me because I wouldn't know what to put on it.

Also the fact that I can't get people from elance to write my articles for me.

What about wordpress? Are they not free as well?
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Keirt,

Wordpress is free. BUT...

Wordpress.com (where you can get a blog hosted for free) has terms of service which do not allow blogs to be built for commercial purposes.

Wordpress.org, on the other hand, is the same platform that runs the .com, but it is intended to be run on your own webhosting. With this, you CAN create a website that is built for commercial purposes, such as the ones that Affilorama can teach you how to create.

Most hosting services have a way to install wordpress on them, but if you find that the option you choose doesn't, you can always download it from the .org and upload it onto your web host.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

keirturdus
Trust:
Should I go for the web hosting from 1and1.com?
I'm just really worried that it would be wasted.

What about blogger.com?
smuigal
Trust:
Hi Keirt,

Well, lets see... if you have some skilz in the article writing department all you would need to earn is $4.95 a month and you can have an account with Hostgator.com. You can pick up some work at freelancer.com. Even if your grammar is not that great (not that it isn't perfect) and you make mistakes, people will pay you $1.00 to $2.00 for a 300 word article to start. Once you build a rep. you can earn more per article.

You may need help setting up the ways of payment, suchas Paypal. I'm not sure about your age limits but I am sure you can get around the issues with age here. $50.00 would last you almost an entire year of hosting for the $4.95 hosting account at Hostgator.com.

:)
Chrisi
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

keirturdus
Trust:
http://www.dreamhost.com/ why not this site? Wordpress recommends them.
Also, I already have paypal through my mom. I'll check out freelance. If it is just one year of hosting I need, why don't any of you guys recommend 1and1.com. they give me 1 year FREE hosting.

EDIT: freelancer.com seems too complicated. I can't bid on anything. However, if I really, absolutely need a host, I'll take my 1 year free trial from 1and1.com
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
1and 1 has a bad reputation as a scam site. they giveyo u a "free" trial and then hit you with a lot of charges. everyone that I have talked to that used them has had bad experiences there. and you cannot move your site.

hostgator is highly recommended because they are one of the best. very little downtime, and as crisi said you can freelance. but contrary to what she said, you dont have to use one of the junky freelancing sites. I will pm you with what I mean.

keirturdus
Trust:
Hey james, i PMed you saying that the file won't open.

EDIT: i've been thinking, do you guys think it's worth starting this now? Because you know, I'm only 15. there's no way I can pay for hosting, and getting my content from e-lance. I might as well just wait till im 18, buy affiloblueprint and go from there. what do you guys think? :/
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
i will look into the downloads, not sure what is going on with my uploads. I think it is my connection while uploading.

as far as getting started, its never too early to begin. i have met a few 13 year olds making more than me. however, they also have their parents support in doing it.

That is the big issue. You are still under your parents rules, and you need to follow them until you are old enough to stand on your own. The people that I know are making money at your age have the support of their family behind them.

keirturdus
Trust:
Wow I wish my family supported me. My mom's boyfriend is completely against making money online. He said it's a crooked business where you send people in circles before they find what they want. He also purchased a program for $1000 or more and was obviously scammed.

I guess that's his reasoning. I'll try and talk my mom into it. Any advice on what to tell her? :P
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
LOL I dont have my own moms support, so cant help you there. difference is I am 34 and can do what I think is right.

a lot of people have been scammed unfortunately, and that gives this business a bad rep. all I can recommend is to try showing that any business has scam artists and just because some people run their business that way not everyone does. Some people wont want to listen to that , and assume anyone who doesnt share their opinion is wrong, but you could try.

I am reuploading the audio file now, will resend it once i make sure it works.

keirturdus
Trust:
HAHA okay! My mom's pretty easy to convince. Also, I got a hold of PLR articles about Golden Retrievers. I think once I get her permission to pay for hosting, I'm going to do a Golden Retriever website.

Btw, I got the articles for free :) I also got health and fitness PLR articles.
nelsencaleb
Trust:
Hey, Ebay doesn't really check your age to make sure your "actually" 18+ so you could get a few items and sell them. Same with paypal. I've never had a problem with either of them, and I've been using them for years. Got old EBooks? Sell 'em! Got a ps3? Sell it! Have a N64? You know what to do, list it and sell it!
Hi! I'm super friendly! Message me if you like!
Relationship Website: http://www.weneedeachother.org
Free SEO: http://www.goodinternetmarketing.com/?post_type=sqz-page&p=11

keirturdus
Trust:
Hey guys, im back with one more question.

Say i have gotten a domain and a web host. what's the best way to get content for my site without spending anymore money?
nelsencaleb
Trust:
Write your own?

EDIT: I to am confused about this part. I was just talking to James the other day on Skype about it and trying to familiarize myself with it more, but I think you should practice writing it if you can't afford it or maybe trade people at school some cool stuff in return for quality articles. I don't know, just a brainstorm.
Hi! I'm super friendly! Message me if you like!
Relationship Website: http://www.weneedeachother.org
Free SEO: http://www.goodinternetmarketing.com/?post_type=sqz-page&p=11

keirturdus
Trust:
That would slow down the process though.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
take it slow on your first sit Keirt. If you take the time to write the content for your first site, you will learn what to look for when you hire a writer later. Another option is to get PLR content and rewrite that to make it more unique. PLR sometimes is good and sometimes is bad, it is kind of chancey on what you will get, but it will shortcut some of the writing process. check out http://www.plr-connection.com/ which is owned by a fellow affilorama member. She has a lot of good PLR content there.

keirturdus
Trust:
I guess it's true that writing my own articles will increase the profits and my ability, however, I only have a budget of $50 for domain and hosting. I need to be able to make profit in order to continue to host a website that I would eventually build. Unless of course, I talk to my mom about paying for hosting.

I'm thinking of making a website on dog training, however, mark tops that niche. It will be hard for me to get on good grounds to be making profits there.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
actually, it is not that hard to get into. there are hundreds of keywords. dont try to go for the big ones, start out by focussing on the little ones with low competition.

a friend of mine calls this termite marketing. rather than trying to take down the big dogs, you hit the niche with hundreds of little keywords and take them down from all directions. you can rank quickly for these keywords, and focus more attention on building your site rather than putting content on other peoples sites for link building.

keirturdus
Trust:
Small niches? How would I go about finding those? I use clickbank to find products to promote. I was actually thinking of going into the WoW niche or making money online niche but those are big niches after I did my keyword research. I'm still stumped.

I'm developing a liking to dog training niche though. Is that still too big of a niche? I'd probably focus on one dog breed, maybe the golden retriever as I got a free PLR pack about them.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
what I mean is the sub niches in those niches. Like for wow, focus your site on gold earning strategies, or professions. rather than a site about make money online, which is huge and highly competetive, focus on small pieces like seo, link building, web design, niche research, or creating content,
also, don't get stuck on high search volume keywords. I have entire sites built around keywords that get 100-200 monthly searches. they are easier to rank for, and you have more time to add fresh content to your site and less time adding your content to other people's sites for links.

peoney5
Trust:
Hi i'm the newbie of all the newbies. Did any of you experience how i feel that i can understand all the words and yet don't know what they're talking about? I really really want to get started an online business and have been reading some free learning sites and forums, and as i have said i don't really understand the whole thing
I'm looking for someone or some course to teach me how to get started that can guide me step-by step. I'm not sure which one is the best and easier to follow. Could any of you please give me a good advice, i would really appreciate it. thanks

This topic was started on Aug 04, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.