Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Need Advice. Still REALLY confused about... (PART 1)

thejapanguy
Trust:

Need Advice. Still REALLY confused about... (PART 1)

Happy New Year everybody. I'm going to dive right into the New Year with my concerns & questions. I would love to hear your thoughts.

1. I am utterly confused by article marketing
I will be honest, I have tried diligently to do article marketing on a several websites. There are times where I really put in a ton of work and just don't see any traffic or monetary returns coming from it. I do the best I can to write articles that are compelling and that target low competition keywords (I always check in Traffic Travis before I start writing). I have been article marketing for longer than I care to mention (let's just say I've been doing it on and off for at least a year-and-a-half).

My recent frustration came while spinning two articles (over an hour of rewriting a piece) only to get them rejected by several services...one even mentioned a duplicate content issue. Seeing that message nearly made me throw my laptop across the room (I didn't do it, though, lol).

I've gone over Mark's videos over and over, and I'm still just not getting it. I know most high-income earning marketers really push article marketing, but is anyone out there "really" seeing big returns from it? If so please shed some light on this for me. It would be much appreciated.

Or if I just said screw article marketing in 2013 would I be shooting myself in the foot? Is not like business can earn a whole lot less than it is now. I'm not complaining, not trying to anyway, but I want this year to be different. I want to start this year the right way, right now.

Donald Ash
"If you use every drop of potential inside of you, no less, you will accomplish the impossible and your dreams will become tangible."
-Donald Brandon Ash

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hey Donald,

I just responded to your other thread, but I will try to help you out with the article marketing question as well.

Article marketing can be effective, but it's not working like it did in years past. a large part of that is dependant on where your articles are going.

anything in business requires you to look at what is working for you, and focus on doing more of those things. Although article marketing is effective in some niches, it isn't necessarily the best avenue for every niche.

I have found that I am getting better results with video and audio than with written articles. I started doing more videos for youtube and other video sites, and extracting the audio for other sites. I am also running a weekly podcast (15-30 minutes) and breaking down the audio into 2-3 minute clips for syndication linking back to my main podcast.

One thing to think about is looking for what type of products your readers are looking for.

As an example, a while back, I did a poll on one of my blogs asking my readers what method they would like to receive more information through. I was promoting mostly video and audio based products, but 85% of the people responded that they would rather have ebooks.

I had to either change how I was getting followers or change the products. Since I couldn't find many ebooks that I thought were good enough in that particular niche, I started doing more video and audio content to drive customers, and as I did that, my sales went up.

the best source of traffic for you will depend a lot on your niche and your personality. I know many people who have been successful at article marketing, but I know others who hate it, and focus more on other avenues of traffic.

Also, you have to look at what type of traffic you are getting. Although I get a lot of traffic from social media, a lot of it doesn't convert well to direct sales. I get a lot freebie seekers that way, and they don't always want to spend money.

Look at who you are networking in as well. if you are networking with people who own products of their own, you can often leverage their reputation with their proven buyers, and it is much easier to convert proven buyers than it is to convert people just looking for free information, especially if most of your products are info products.

Also, look at your doberman site.... there are no opt ins, no ads, nothing but articles. there are also some articles there with code in the article (training a doberman part 1, read the side note...)

its hard to generate leads or sales without the option on the site. also, people are REALLY emotional about their dogs. work on creating more emotional connection with them, and get ads up so that people CAN do something when they come to your site.

I would also turn off dates if you aren't updating the site regularly. people will be less likely to trust it as your site ages if it looks like out of date info. even if it is evergreen information, the perception is more important than the reality...
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

thejapanguy
Trust:
James!! Happy New Year
You have no idea how much I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to respond so thoroughly to my two ranting posts. Okay, I think I understand what you're saying. To sum it all up, it is possible to build consistent traffic via other means, but you have to examine the quality the traffic that's coming...no matter where it's coming from.

I redid the Doberman site which is why the optin is missing, but I definitely had one on the previous version of the site. I'll put it up again (a more targeted one). Thanks for taking a look. You've given me some good ideas & some straight to the point advice.

I'm on it!

THANK YOU, JAMES!!!!!

Donald Ash
"If you use every drop of potential inside of you, no less, you will accomplish the impossible and your dreams will become tangible."
-Donald Brandon Ash

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
the biggest thing to keep in mind is to just keep trying different things. Also, don't expect what works on one site to always work.

Having built over 100 sites in the last 4 years, I can tell you what works in some niches doesn't work in all of them. each niche is a new opportunity to learn new things. The sites and even techniques I use for marketing my personal development niche site are different than my dating site and IM site.

One of the keys is to develop a great customer profile, and figure out who your ideal customer is, and how they go about finding information online.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

This topic was started on Jan 02, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.