Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

My Site Has Been Attacked?

jacksonlin
Trust:

My Site Has Been Attacked?

Hello

I have recently been advised that one of my sites has been hit by a virus.

I get this message:

"Reported Attack Site!

This web site at yourmarriageangel.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners."

Should I just delete my site and reupload it?

Also how do I prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks!

J
PremiumMember
pfojas
Trust:
Hi J, I am not familiar with this issue. I checked the site you are talking about and it worked fine. I was able to easily open it. Cheers!
jasondodd
Trust:
the site worked fine for me too, possibly your site checking software is a little over sensitive?

its a good reminder to check that if you happen to change the permissions on your site that you dont leave the door open to hackers by making too much available e.g. folder permissions of 777!
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

dailyfocus
Trust:
First, you site is working on my Mozilla web browser.

Some steps:
Ensure that your .htaccess is not 777 permission. 644 should suffice.

Also, if i were you, download you whole site to your PC. Try to search for suspicious iframe in all your index.php files. Attackers use this to redirects your visitors to other malicious sites with virus to infect your visitor's PCs.

Check the last update for all your files, and if you find that some of your 'system' files have been changed recently although you didn't do anything to it... try looking into it to see if there are those iframe code.

If you are using Wordpress, you may install the plugin:
wp-security-scan.2.4.zip
which guides and provides a checklist of security which you can patch in WP.

Finally, scan your own PC with a proper virus scan. Your PC could have been infected as well or is the source that infected your websites during FTP.

Hope this helps... keep focus and keep on building your sites!
jacksonlin
Trust:
Thanks for your responses.

I got rid of the problem by deleting the entire site and reuploading the whole thing again.

Do you know how I can prevent a site attack like this in the future?

Thanks!
af1981au
Trust:
hi mate, ive had a few sites of mine hacked and i bought this ebook and it will help your wordpress site become more secure.

http://securemyblog.com/
faradina
Trust:
Hi J,

One thing I know which helps, if it is a wordpress site, is to keep your wordpress version up to date. As soon as a new stable version of wordpress is ready and known to not have many bugs in it, I upgrade to it.

You could also discuss the issue with your web hosting server. I am very sure that they have some measures in place to prevent and/or remedy such an occurrence.

I hope that helps :)

This topic was started on May 26, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.