Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

My Goals and Progress

PremiumMember
advice
Trust:

My Goals and Progress

Hi,

I thought I would start a thread over here away from the welcome section. Rather than intruding on people coming to the forum for the first time.

I would like to share the personal goal that I have set myself.
I figure it has a better chance of becoming a reality if I do.

I would like to make, in 30 days, in clear profit, the cost of the Affilorama pacakge by promoting affilate procucts and receiving commissions, starting from scratch (ie. no list) and not including commissions from "how to make money", "internet marketing " type products.

I joined less than 24 hours ago and all the information is great. This forum included. I chose an affiliate program and have my first site up live and reached my google adword daily budget (a modest amount).

I wanted to see if it was profitable before sending alot of traffic.

The way it is structured I dont think there would be any sales for quite a few days, but thats ok.

Google adword stats
Search Total 1971 impressions 47 clicks 2.38% clickthrough
Content Total 39177 impressions 56 clicks 0.14% clickthrough
20 subscribers so 20/103 = 19.4% conversion

At the current cost I need 4 sales every 100 subscribers to break even. I think 1 sale to break even would be better. Need to get the cost down and/or conversion up.

Should add conversion tracking to see if subscribers coming from content or search ads.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Glenn
PremiumMember
nick
Trust:
Hi Glenn,

Just a quick tip. I would suggest (and I think it's covered in a video) that you turn off the content search in google for your campaign. Content searches don't convet as well as the normal searches and wouldn't want you to be wasting your money.

Do you want to post the address of your website? Or you can even private message Mark and he'll give you some feedback

:)

Nick
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Thanks for the tip Nick,

I actually decided to turn it off but the ads are cheaper so it would be good if they converted well.

The suspicion is that hey dont and they add to the cost, a test will work this out.

I have addedd conversion tracking and when the next daily budget starts I will see if it works. The code is sitting in a redirect page, I havent tried this before.

I think it best to talk in generalties as far as websites are concerned.

I do appreciate your offer of being able to send Mark a private message however.

Thanks again,

Glenn
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Got a probleem with autoresponders (1shoppingcart clone), they are not delivering messages staright away. Its been nearly an hour now and no message. I sent a test subscription through. Not good enough.

Will look at the notes about autoresponders....

Aweber , I tried them but found it a little clunky.

Better check them out again.

Glenn
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Put adwords on pause while this is fixed.
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Aweber set up.

Signed up to the autoresponder myself through my website.

The emails are sent straight way which is good.

It seems to be sending an opt in email and message 1 a few minutes later, even though I havent opted in yet.

Will have to look into this further.

Switched adwords back on.

First days emails may not have been effective.

Thanks for your notes in Lesson 4.

I like the idea about welcoming them first then sending the affiliate stuff, could be confusing otherwise. Will take a closer look.
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Conversion tracking in Google is working

The google conversion code in a redirect page works.

Content ads switched off.

Dealing with small numbers - 582 impressions - 8 clicks so far today - 3 subscribers

Conversion rate has almost doubled from 19.5 % to 37.5%.

The ads are slightly dearer but the cost of getting a subscriber is coming down.

If it keeps going like this I will need a bit over 2 and a half sales per hundred subscribers instead of 4 to break even.
PremiumMember
tino
Trust:
Hey Glenn,

It's good to see your step by step progress. I plan to go through the videos this weekend and hope to have a campaign up soon there after. I'll report back with some of my stats so we can see what's working and what isn't.

John T
abenyukhis
Trust:
How do you all use google conversion tracking for affiliate products such as clickbank. Isnt there something that needs to be placed on the thank you page which we dont own when it comes to affiliate sales?

Am i missing something?

Thanks-
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Hi John,

That sounds great!

Look forward to sharing and comparing with you.

Glenn
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Hi abenyukhis,

I am tracking subscribers not sales.

When they click on the google ad they go to a page that I created to capture the email address.

Then they go to the product owners main sales page or wherever.

Before they go there however they go via a redirect page. The visitor doesnt see this page or only a glance.

On the redirect page is the google conversion code.

If the vistor puts their email address in my page the redirect page then gets activated and also the conversion tracking.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Glenn
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Spent time working on my site trying to get it "optimised" for the vistors experience there.

61 clicks and 24 subscribers so far today a 39.34% conversion rate.

That's much better.

Google is showing a much lower conversion rate but I think that was because I was editing the site during the day. I will have another look at it tomorrow as there wont be any fiddling with the site hopefully.

Previously I was calculating my sales per subscriber with a commission lower than what the actual commission was. So that coupled with nearly a halfing of the cost per subscriber means that I now need 1.5 sales per 100 subscribers to make a small profit.

I would suggest switching content ads off in google, it made a difference in my case.

No sales yet. this site is pretty much OK to run on its own now and just need to keep an eye on it to see if there are any sales. The subscribers are receiving messages for the next week from the main site so I am sort of keeping in touch with them. I have the option of sending them something myself if I wish.

In case there are no sales at any time I better get another site going as a backup.

Glenn
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
I just read that there is a 24 hour delay in google adword conversion statistics, its not real time. So hopefully that explains the difference.

Tomorrow it should agree with my calculation.
abenyukhis
Trust:
advice wrote:Hi abenyukhis,

I am tracking subscribers not sales.

When they click on the google ad they go to a page that I created to capture the email address.

Then they go to the product owners main sales page or wherever.

Before they go there however they go via a redirect page. The visitor doesnt see this page or only a glance.

On the redirect page is the google conversion code.

If the vistor puts their email address in my page the redirect page then gets activated and also the conversion tracking.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Glenn

Thats completely clear. so you consider a lead a conversion. That makes sense.

thanks-
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi Glenn,

I had another look at your page, and it is not a good idea getting people to sign up twice for a newsletter. It really will harm your credibility and ability to make sales.

Trust me, go ahead with the other model that I suggested in our private email and it will work a lot better. Or if you want this model to work, then you are going to have to get an elance author to write your own newsletter list. There is no point collecting email addresses if you don't have something good and relevant to send them. And regularly.

Believe me, these subtle things make a big difference between earning double your money back, and making a loss. Also, I'm going to have a look at your keyword list and bid amounts and give you more feedback soon.

Also, what countries are you sending traffic to? Make sure it is ONLY new zealand, australia, canada, usa, UK, ireland and any other country you deem relevant. Not phillipines, etc, that will click your ad and not convert to sales.

If you are unsure about a particular country, or region (eg south america...) then just create a separate campaign and only target that region in adwords so that you can see the difference in sales. (you can see what country the person bought from when you make sales in clickbank).
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Hi Mark,

Thanks, I'm already onto the new site.

I haven't been targeting specific countries. I know you talk about it in your notes but I thought I couldnt be sure who was buying. A good idea about creating different campaigns for different areas.

Sounds like you are saying to dump the first site or at least switch the traffic off.

I was going to continue testing the first site as well as working on the new site but it sounds like it's not a good idea to continue testing.

Glenn
Support
greg
Trust:
Abenyukhis

How do you all use google conversion tracking for affiliate products such as clickbank. Isnt there something that needs to be placed on the thank you page which we dont own when it comes to affiliate sales?

Hi Abenyukhis,

In reply to your query, most webmasters will be willing to add your conversion tracking codes to their after purchase page.

If the webmaster helps you, you'll make more sales, it's a win-win situation. :D
abenyukhis
Trust:
greg wrote:
Abenyukhis

Hi Abenyukhis,

In reply to your query, most webmasters will be willing to add your conversion tracking codes to their after purchase page.

If the webmaster helps you, you'll make more sales, it's a win-win situation. :D

thats a good point, thank you.
PremiumMember
advice
Trust:
Hi,

After my last post I switched off the traffic to the website.

I have been busy with other matters and have put this on hold for the moment.

Look forward to getting back into it soon.

Regards,

Glenn