Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

My domain expired.

seedoubleyou
Trust:

My domain expired.

Hi all,

I bought AB in 2009, and followed the course through almost to the end, but eventually gave up as my off-line work commitments just didn't allow me the time I needed to properly work on my site.

I had around 30 articles, had been using AMA to spin out articles for backlinks, and had steadily worked my way up the Google rankings for many of my keywords - in fact a few were page one, number one. I had even made a few sales, and was frustrated at having to give it up, as I was confident that I had created a quality site that would have continued to grow given time.

Anyway, I did not renew my domain name when it came up for renewal - something which i now hugely regret, as I now have much more time available to me to really work on getting a really good quality website up .

Should I renew the domain name now (still available), and put the site back up, or will there be complications with broken links, backlinks etc?

One other possibility is for me to purchase Affilojetpack, and use my material from my previous site (rewritten of course) on a brand new site.

Can anyone see any problems with either of these options?

Any thoughts, tips or advice will be very gratefully received !!

Thanks in advance.

C.
esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

How long was the domain down for? A lot of the links will have been taken down if the site was down for months. If you still have the site files and the DB, then putting it back up should be easy.

Again, if the domain/site was down for more than a month, I would start with a different domain. Either fresh, or better yet, an aged high pr domain.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

seedoubleyou
Trust:
Hi esolutions - thanks very much for your help!

The site was down for over a year, so I will take your advice and start again with new domain name, sounds like a good plan as it will give me a chance to make a few improvements to my first attempt - do you have any advice on where to pick up a pre-aged domain name?

Also, as my previous site has been offline for so long, is there any need for me to re-write all of my articles etc in order to avoid 'duplicate content' penalties from Google?

Will my old site content still exist somehow in Googles algorithms?

Want to ensure I don't run into problems down the track which could have been avoided by asking a few simple questions at the beginning!!

Thanks again esolutions, and anyone else who may be able to help me!

Chris.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
you shouldn't have any problems with the duplicate content, unless you also reposted the articles elsewhere to build links to your old site.

there are two places I like to go when buying aged domains: Godaddy and Namecheap. GoDaddy has domain auctions where you can bid on domains and Namecheap has a used domain marketplace. I once bought a 5 year old, PR2 domain for $5 at namecheap. it takes some time to find them though.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Should I renew the domain name now (still available), and put the site back up, or will there be complications with broken links, backlinks etc?

This would depend on how long the site was down. If it was just for a short period of time then you can just renew the domain and put the site back up. This would be fairly easy to do if you still have the database and content for your site intact.

One other possibility is for me to purchase Affilojetpack, and use my material from my previous site (rewritten of course) on a brand new site.

You can do this, but I don't think you would need to rewrite the articles since your old site is down. So the articles you had on it before are no longer online. You'll be losing any off-page SEO work you did on the old site/old domain though since those pages/links no longer exist.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

This topic was started on Feb 13, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.