Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Mistakes Made and Lessons Learned

tom11980
Trust:

Mistakes Made and Lessons Learned

Hi all,

I just thought it would be a good idea to start this thread on all the things that we have learned, perhaps programs or sites that has made life easier, so far through affilorama. For some it might have been mistakes made years ago and for others like me it might have been yesterday lol. I just thought it might be a good Idea to share so that others may learn from mistakes made.

The biggest thing I have learned so far is getting better keywords and reasearching them a lot better. I believe I have it down pritty good now but on my first site I have ranked for some pritty dumb keywords just a case of being to excited to start and not listening better.
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
I still think it is better to start and rank for worse keywords and then add more articles later and rank for better keywords later than it is to procrastinate and not make a start at all.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

tom11980
Trust:
I have number one ranking for a lot of words they just aren't very good
dewey
Trust:
Dude...yes. This was the hardest lesson for me. My first site ranks poorly for most of its keywords, but what I didn't realize at the time I chose them was that a) It wasn't just a "pick whatever words you want, no matter how obscure" exercise...I didn't think about how I'd need to tie the keywords I chose into how I would pitch the products (still not really that great a skill of mine)
and b) I didn't realize that there are keywords that fit the criteria of being greater than 1500 searches per day and 3 words or longer that have WAY too much competition...too much to ever hope to rank for them.

Tough lessons learned.

-Josh
cpinkston
Trust:
I've got one. I used Mark Lings spinning program for AMA.

I have never had to spin a article before because I always use Unique Article Wizard. I made two mistakes: I didn't use the <<link>>, I put the actual link in instead and I used {} instead of [].

I was a quarter of the way through when I realized that you can't use your link because .com starts a new sentence but I decided to finish the article anyways to see what would happen. Not good. Most of my article was hyperlinked, well at least the parts that appeared.

Apparently AMA uses {} to start new sentences. I spent an hour spinning the article and another two hours trying to figure out how to fix it once I had it on AMA.

I learned a very valuable lesson that apparently I had forgotten: Follow Directions, There Is A Reason The Directions Are There!

But on the flip side, spun articles no longer look like gibberish to me so now I can outsource it and will know whether or not it is done correctly.
tom11980
Trust:
Yep good one. I did one today I spin my whole article, linked it, and put in the tags. Instead of saving it I just clicked on view, duh...., and lost the whole thing. It's funny now but I was about ready to throw my laptop out the window.

So lesson learned save all information no matter what before clicking any other buttons
tom11980
Trust:
as far as key words go I have learned a better way to find key words. I use google insight it shows rising keywords and I cross check them with google keyword tool to check search volumes and this way I can grab keywords that may have just come in to the lime life and have little to no compitition. It also shows news articles that have just come out on that niche and it is helpful to me on ideas for topics of articles on that particular keyword.
tom11980
Trust:
I use Yahoo Buzz for more links I am not sure how much it helps the site but it give you an atractive plug and a link to your site and it is real easy. Anyone one know how good of link it is?
jasondodd
Trust:
youll find most social bookmarking sites like yahoo buzz are nofollow links but theres still a lot of value in these sorts of links - as youve mentioned you get some good publicity for a start

heres five reasons why nofollow links are still worth having (and in the process im giving this guy a nofollow link ... funny how it all works :)
Last edited by sydney on 04 Apr 11 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 404 link fixed

Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

tom11980
Trust:
Yeah thats kind of what I thought but I just wanted it for exposure any ways so all is good.
dewey
Trust:
Hey Tom

Thanks for the info about Google Insight. I hadn't ever seen that tool until you mentioned it. It's pretty awesome.

-Josh
tom11980
Trust:
Yeah it really is, after all that I check any possible keywords through SEO analysis in Traffic Travis to see exactly how hard it will be to rank! My first site I did not do that much reasearch and now I have to go back and change a lot of my keywords. Lesson Learned
tom11980
Trust:
I found this a Wordpress plug-in and I though I should share it with everyone I thought it was awesome;

"Author: Joost de Valk
Automatically add links to your favorite social bookmarking sites on your posts, pages and in your RSS feed. You can choose from 99 different social bookmarking sites! WordPress 2.6 or above is required, if you use an older version, please download this version,, please keep in mind that version is not maintained."

The page link is http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sociable/
tshaffer
Trust:
I really like that plugin, thanks a lot for recommending it
tom11980
Trust:
your welcome
wildcat12
Trust:
A good lesson I have learned...I had 4 sales in my first 200 hops. The last 200 hops...no sales. 400 hops is not enough data to determine a conversion rate.
tom11980
Trust:
yep I have not had a actual sale yet but I can see that. Need alot more data to determine a good statistic.
jpastorizo
Trust:
Guys,

Let me share with you my experience in getting backlinks using web 2.0 sites.
Between blogger, squidoo and hubpages - in my experience the backlink from hubpages is indexed as fast as 1 day while the blogger and squidoo backlinks hasn't been indexed after more than a week. So IMO use hubpages more.

Also, I have observed that what affects google ranking of a site is not really the amount of backlinks per se. It is the amount of backlinks coming from different I.P. addresses. Here is an example. One of my sites following the AB 2.0 has about 36 backlinks so far total. And most of these backlinks come from my own ezinearticles article, hubpage hub, etc. I have a competitor that has only about 12 backlinks and it is ranking #6 on the 1st page of google for one of my top keywords I want to rank for. I used Traffic Travis to analyze my competitor's site and it doesnt even pass Traffic Travis' on page SEO analysis and my pages are As and A+. His site doesnt even have the keyword in the meta keywords! My site is not even on the 3rd page of google even though I beat the other site on the on-page SEO factors and number of backlinks. I then looked at his backlinks and noticed that most of the 12 backlinks are coming from different sites therefore from different I.P. addresses. I am guessing my competitor uses AMAutomation. I just joined AMAutomation last night and submitted an article (1 published already - so far so good). So my plan now is to create a lot of backlinks using AMA and I will be able to beat my competitor's site ranking.

Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

This topic was started on Jun 06, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.