Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Making money with 'Media Buying'.

kevworx
Trust:

Making money with 'Media Buying'.

I thought I'd create a new thread with regards to the Super Affiliate Webinar with Saj. I would love to hear from others who have tried to implement any of the techniques shown by Saj. But first of all, I would like to thank you Mark for organising this very informative training. I would have loved to be in the position to join his offer, but the information that was shared in itself is very valuable if implemented correctly. And I guess that's the key, like Saj said, take it and use it.

To get the ball rolling, I'll share with you where I'm at with trying to implement the strategies taught. So far, I've got one lead to place an appropriate banner on a blog that receives 300,000 monthly impressions at a cost of $400 per month. Now I'm not sure whether that's a good deal or 'not so good'. I'm a little scared to throw away $400 if it doesn't work out.

I've also, placed an appropriate banner on another blog for only $30 per month. I know you only get what you pay for at best, but hay, I have to start somewhere and thought I'd test it out. I don't want to throw away even $30, but if I only make one sale, I'll stand to make a small profit. There is one thing that troubles me though, Saj used the 'making money online' niche to demonstrate his strategies. Surely, in this particular niche, the visitors will be savvy enough to follow the banner link and steal your commission. I don't know, as I am only an affiliate newbie - just a thought.

I have only gotten as far as looking at Adbrite.com and was confused as to how it actually works. For example:
Everything is fairly straight forward up until you need to submit the banner. You then need to upload the image file from your computer along with the alt-text and URL destination. What I'm unsure about is, does the image file contain the affiliate link code or is it just the banner image? If it is only the banner image, then how do you receive your affiliate commission?

That's as far as I've got with it all to date. Oh yeah, I'm also awaiting correspondence to an application I made to a CPA network. That's it. I hope others will join in and let us know if they've used any of the techniques and to what end. Sorry for the rather long post.

One question I have to Mark and/or the team. Is there any chance of downloading the webinar replay, as I'd love to be able to keep referring to its content.

Cheers

Kev.
wollowra
Trust:
kevworx wrote:What I'm unsure about is, does the image file contain the affiliate link code or is it just the banner image? If it is only the banner image, then how do you receive your affiliate commission?

Hi,
I don't use adbrite but...
When you upload the banner, it should ask you to input your affiliate ID that goes with the banner.
I Hope someone here who uses adbrite can answer it but you can also just email adbrite themselves and get the answer from them. Hope that helps.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

tangoshoes
Trust:
Alright I'll attempt to sum up what effort I've put towards this method since the webinar as best as possibly.

I'm a college student so mind you... I try and use as little money as possible testing methods.

*First a NOTE on CPA networks*

CPALead.com
Before this webinar I was a member of CPAlead.com. If you have ever worked with them they are pretty easy to join but they have a very unique CPA widget which blocks content. This type of CPA traffic is called "incentive" traffic. Meaning you offer premium content for free if they fill out a "survey" to get it ... the survey being the CPA offer. I was making pretty good money using them about 4 months back but the method no longer works. CPAlead.com in general is a pretty good network. They offered me an early payout one month (15% fee mind you) so I could buy more media my agent is pretty friendly and worked with me on it so that was good. The cons of this program are the type of traffic dosn't work the best for this type of marketing but it could work. You could make your own banner... saying something like *See the New (insert stars name here) prank video* or something like that, whatevers hot at the time. Then buy media space for that banner... make a landing page that is coded with CPALead.coms block out widget and you can put on your widget text *Please take one of our sponsors surveys to view this HOT new video* once they complete the offer they will be able to view the landing page. This page could contain a link of where they can see the video or if you find the video on youtube you could just embed the youtube video code. I have found though sometimes CPALead.com surveys take a long time to unlock ... meaning the person must view several offers before one works or they must fill in a lot of information. The uniqueness of CPALead's widgets is cool but their pay isn't very good say between $0.23-0.90.

ROIrocket.com
I had joined ROIrocket.com a few days prior to this webinar coming out. A few of mark's e-mails contained links to some free reports by saj p and alex with other CPA methods I wanted to try out (still trying to work threw these but they sound as good as saj's ideas in the webinar). ROIrocket.com was very easy to join. I was approved in about 12 hours. They seemingly have some good offers .... I did run into problems with them as you'll see on my first attempt at the "media buying" attempts. With ROIrocket.com you have no agent or sponsor at all.... they are also extremely hard to get a hold of.

MaxBounty.com
This is a really nice site..... you get an agent... I spoke over the phone with her yesterday... she asked me a few questions about what I wanted to do... I answered that I basically wanted to do media buying and create pages and ppc campaigns around their hot offers. She was able to give me some tips on how to use their search offers for the types of offers I wanted to focus on (email and zip submits). Their tracking works well and your agent is contactable easy... I think she even has aim as well as a phone number. Their site is sortable by types of offers and EPC rates.

Copeac.com
I thought this was like the "up class" CPA network. I didn't think I would get in with them or even have a chance. Surprisingly they approved me right after my phone call. Once I was accepted my agent also called me and e-mailed me. They have good support. One thing I didn't like was they don't show their EPC rates. I have yet to promote any of their offers yet so I don't know how their tracking system works but most of the ads I browsed had TONs of diffrent types of media to promote.

*Starting With Adbrite*

I got an account with adbrite before the webinar was even over. I poped in the info for an e-mail submit offer that ROIrocket.com was offering. It was a pretty nice offer. $1.00/zip submit. It was for free samples of "health products"... so I'm thinking to myself *hey who doesn't want free stuff? Who wouldn't give their zip to at least find out more about getting free stuff* So.... I messed up on setting up my adbrite account (by the way they charge like $4.95 or something to set up an account with them) I accidentally clicked PPC campaign... my budgets were at the lowest though like $0.20 a click and $5 a day. So I think to myself ... well if I get 1/2 conversion I'm still making money and zip submit sounds eeeeeasy to get!.... so my ad status at this point was "pending review" this takes about 24 hours they say.

*It is important to point out that you can either choose a site you would like to advertise on or you can pick aspects of your demographic and let adbrite do the site picking for you*

So at this point.... out of pure curiosity I decided I'll also set up a campaign for the same product but this time I will buy impressions instead of PPC. I wanted to see their Impression costs... (Now I'm not a super CPA person or anything but I did hear saj say that click rate was about 30% on targeted sites either that or conversion rate was it was hard to understand) I wanted to test and see if I could spend less on clicks via impressions.... so I set up this campaign. It suggested I pay $0.10 per 1000 impressions.... so I thought that was pretty good and I had done some research on the demographic so I attempted to max my potential there..........Status was then "pending review" soooo I wait.

The next day.... both my ads are approved and supposedly running.... While I start to see impression stats for my PPC ad I see nothing for my CPM ad..... latter I notice I have my first clicks on my PPC ad... I'm paying about 16 cents a click at this point.... I make a mad dash over to roirocket to see if I've convinced any to submit their zip code. I HAVE! I have 2 clicks according to adbrite and I have one lead which means $1..... I'm thinking now... okie its too early to tell but 50% I can live with... I refresh and am suprised to see ... I have another $1 in my account ... so now I have $2 and I've spent 32 cents... pretty good I'm thinking .... so I let it run ... I spent the whole $5 bucks for the day ... I got something like 32 clicks and no other leads.....I'm thinking .... 6% conversion rate on a zip submit is pretty low... I don't have much experience with CPA yet but geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees... So I call up a friend (note you should not do this but I just haaaaad to know) I say "hey I'm trying to test my tracking for this site.... can you go here and fill out your zip?" he agrees and I make a mad dash for the refresh button.... no new lead..... so I'm thinking... well their tracking must lag... but I paused the campaign just in case....... it's been two days and I still only have $2. What I figured out was that you dont get credit for this offer until you fill out the whole page of information after you fill out your zip..... so ROIrocket FAILED... they LIED... but being the nice person I am I give them the benefit of the doubt ... I say to my self "hey maybe their tracking is messed up or something" ..... after about 20min of looking for some way to contact them I find out that they have a e-mail submit on the front page with a 48 hour turn around time. So I explain the situation ... no response... it has been more then 48 hours.... sooo I figure I'll move on to something new.....

This is when I signed up for maxbounty.com and copeac.com. I also grabbed a sale offer from roirocket.com just to test out the impression buying because I never got to see if it worked for adbrite..... I find an offer on maxbounty.com that looks good... its a sales offer but the EPC is like 90 cents.... and a commission of $33 on a lead... the buyer only pays $4.95 ... its an auto ship type offer. I've had about 17 clicks on this offer w/o and buys... I figure I'll test it for a few days... even if I get one sale I'll make much more money then I spent so we'll see how it goes.....

The impressions I bought (mind you I used a site search for this one and didn't let adbrite determine which sites my offer was to go on). The site gets about 4k hits a day .... not very much but it's the right niche for the offer to do well in I think. I started that on the 10th and it just started running a few min ago (3 impressions) I'm paying 11 cents CPM.

With my first offer PPC.... the only restrictions I put were that I wanted people 18+ and in the "wellness" category and the "parent/family" category.... not very specific at all.... I got about a 0.002% click rate.... they had to display some 90k impressions to get my 30 clicks....

So what have I learned?
Adbrite doesn't update tracking very well but they admit this in stating stats can be 4 hours old (sometimes you refresh and it displays older stats then the ones you just had pulled up).
ROIrocket.com is fail.
When buying impressions demographic matters big time! (saj did tell us this though).
I need to learn more and test more before throwing this out the window.

If anyone has any questions let me know... I'll try to update this as I learn more... also if you have any questions about getting accepted into the CPA networks I'll help as much as I can.

Sorry for my bad spelling/grammar : )

-Amanda
Free AMA alternative:
http://www.freetrafficsystem.com/a.php?p=15706
Outsourcing for $200/mo 40hr/week:
http://store.replacemyself.com/?aid=3884

tangoshoes
Trust:
O for the banner thing... I just saved the cpa networks banner to my desktop and uploaded it to adbrite then put my affiliate url in the url spot.
Free AMA alternative:

wollowra
Trust:
That's what I thought, Thanks for confirming Tango.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

rach72
Trust:
Is anyone else having trouble with Adbrite accepting their affiliate link? (and yes I am doing a straight copy and paste of it!)

Thing is, they seem to accept a redirected link OK, but when I put in a straight affiliate link they say that the URL is invalid.

I've looked through their TOS and can't find anything.....

Rach
curtis1974
Trust:
I am currently testing out Facebook with saj technique. I will report back on any success or failures.
jcdean
Trust:
I don't really have anything to add to this thread but....

Amanda I have read of horror stories about ROI Rocket not paying commissions.
Respect,
J.C. Dean
http://KillYourDayjob.com

tangoshoes
Trust:
I don't really have anything to add to this thread but....

Amanda I have read of horror stories about ROI Rocket not paying commissions.

I have also heard these stories but Mark has a video on them so I figured I'd give it a shot : /

Thanks for the heads up!

There are soooo many other CPA net works... theirs really no need to use ROIrocket
Free AMA alternative:

tangoshoes
Trust:
Rach72 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with Adbrite accepting their affiliate link? (and yes I am doing a straight copy and paste of it!)

Thing is, they seem to accept a redirected link OK, but when I put in a straight affiliate link they say that the URL is invalid.

I've looked through their TOS and can't find anything.....

Rach

What CPA network are you using?
Free AMA alternative:

dinofly
Trust:
I'm trying the You Tube ad placement technique that Saj covered in the second half of the presentation. I pay $40 a month for a VERY relevant ad placement as Saj suggested. It gets about 2000 daily views. The video owner was very easy to work with. My link in the info box goes directly to the affiliate site so I'm using no landing page. After the first day I've gotten 108 visitors to the affiliate site and 15 impressions to the payment page and 0 purchases. Yikes!

I know it's only one day, but if 15 people clicked on a page to purchase a product and then chose not to, perhaps there is a problem. Maybe they believe the product is too expensive. Any thoughts? I'm an EXTREME Newbie and could use the advice. Grats!
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Dino,
Welcome to Affilorama,
It is hard to say as we would need to see the landing page and there are also other factors that come into play.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

tangoshoes
Trust:
Dinofly wrote:I'm trying the You Tube ad placement technique that Saj covered in the second half of the presentation. I pay $40 a month for a VERY relevant ad placement as Saj suggested. It gets about 2000 daily views. The video owner was very easy to work with. My link in the info box goes directly to the affiliate site so I'm using no landing page. After the first day I've gotten 108 visitors to the affiliate site and 15 impressions to the payment page and 0 purchases. Yikes!

I know it's only one day, but if 15 people clicked on a page to purchase a product and then chose not to, perhaps there is a problem. Maybe they believe the product is too expensive. Any thoughts? I'm an EXTREME Newbie and could use the advice. Grats!

Keep in mind also that saj was talking about using this type of advertisements for CPA offers... he used clickbank products as an example and it can also work with click bank products but CPA offers tend to have a higher conversion rate for example:

Clickbank product has a 1-2% conversion rate and pays $30 commission... If you make max that you make $60 a day (mind you it looks like your product isn't doing so well) with the 100 views a day you are getting.

CPA - I'll take numbers from a product I'm promoting. The offer is someone pays $4.95 s/h for a product and they get on an auto ship program so the lead commission is $33. This product converts better then a click bank product because the customer can try the product for only $4.95 instead of paying the full amount up front. The EPC for this product according to MaxBounty is $.90 there for you take the commission ($33) divided by the EPC to find the number of visitors to make a lead = 37 ... then take that number and divided it into 100 to get the conversion % 100\37 = 2.7% ... now your making 2-3 sales a day at a commission of $33 instead of 1-2 sales a day at a commission of $30 ... make sense?

Lets take another CPA offer.. like an e-mail submit in which the customer doesn't need to buy anything they just need to submit their e-mail... Maxbounty's top EPC e-mail submit has an EPC of $0.24 this offer pays $1.20 every time someone submits their e-mail. That's a 20% conversion rate! Granted you'd only be making around $24 a day but if you target the market right you could increase your success and with e-mail submits the numbers are a lot more forgiving because you aren't asking the customer to buy anything.

I hope this helps!
Free AMA alternative:

kevworx
Trust:
Excellent posts Amanda - you're prolific!
tangoshoes
Trust:
Thanks Kev! I try and be helpful! Just wish I could use that know how to make some money... I'll get there eventualy.

*update*
Still running the PPC campaign I'm getting clicks for about 15 cents so its taking a long time to get clicks as I'm sure others are bidding higher. I've got about 28 clicks now w/no sale/lead.... but if the EPC holds true I'll need at least 35 clicks to get a sale/lead. I'll go beyond that though just for testing purposes I'm thinking 3 or 4 times that to get some accurate numbers. Then adjust my PPC amount higher so I'm still making money but getting more clicks : )
Free AMA alternative:

kevworx
Trust:
You go girl... you'll get there and with such a good attitude - you can't go wrong!

I on the other hand have not been able to dedicate any time. So I'm definitely not going to get anywhere at this rate.
dinofly
Trust:
Thanks for the breakdown. I agree, that was an excellent post.

I may try to switch over to a relevant CPA product if I can find one. I've had 329 hops with this Clickbank product, 21 order form impressions and still no sales. Even at a 1% conversion rate I should have at least 3 sales by now. I'd like even one at this point, especially since the gravity of the product is well over 200.

Thanks again.
superaff
Trust:
Awesome thread.

I'm just getting started with Media Buying as well. In fact, I've just bought a Media Buying course.

Here is what I do monthly:

1. I pay $200 for banners on a high traffic blog
2. I pay $100 monthly for a banner on another blog (due to results, I'll stop this one and invest elsewhere)
3. I made a test on a blog (first position for a high traffic keyword), and I got the best results. (the problem is that all banners area always sold out! I'm waiting for about two months now.)
4. I'll start buying PPV traffic.

Best,
Franck
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

kevworx
Trust:
That's fantastic Franck. I'm sure I can speak for all of us when I say that we really look forward to seeing how you go.

All the best,

Kev.

P.S. I too am awaiting a couple of DVD on Media Buying by some big name guru's, which I will share with you guys as soon as I can. Tell you what though, if you haven't already got them, they are free and you can get them yourselves if you wish to - just pay for postage & handling. Here's the link given to me by Gauher Chaudhry: http://www.gotrackthis.com/go/go.php?c=mbc
PremiumMember
elogic0007
Trust:
Hi
I just wanted to add to this thread everyone seems to be talking traffic, I have come across a system within google which is used by only 0000000.01% of marketers... its hard to be believe but I know of affiliates who have built targeted lists of over 2000 for a mere $35 if your intrested to know more then send me a pm and see if this will work for you.. the lowest bid you can currently recieve is 0.05 which has been achieved
let me know if this gets your attention, if got mine and results are truely amazing
tangoshoes
Trust:
I would really like to share with you guys my stats for the "media buying" test. Unfortunately I can't tell you how much I actually spent because adbrite seems to want to charge me a different amount everyday. All my campaigns are paused at the moment. One minute they want to charge me $35 the next $13....

Heres what I can tell you though. MaxBounty had an offer up with and average EPC of $0.90 and a commission of about $20/lead. All the customer had to do was fill out some information to receive an insurance quote. I ran this ad for 86 clicks or 166,000 impressions. The websites which this banner was placed on was highly targeted to the customer base. The CTR was 0.052% ... When saj said youed be paying $20 for 1,000 impressions I thought that to be a bit high... I ended up paying an average of $0.03 CPM and an average of $0.15 CPC. While that's a decent amount to pay for a CPC it hasn't converted to anything ... I've received nearly 4x the estimated viewers to get 1 lead and I have gotten nothing :(

It is also important to note that earlier adbrite told me that my average CPC was around 25-45 cents.... now its dropped much lower... I have NO idea what they will be charging me when the first of the month rolls around.

This is something I might explore on a larger scale when I have more money. For now money is too precious for me to be "experimenting".

If anyone else has statistics I would love to see them!

*Update*
Now adbrite is telling me I owe them .13 per CPM and the cost per clicks has been uped to .21. I HATE adbrite now. I'm getting so angry at them. When they decided to charge me I will fight the charges with my credit card company. You can't tell someone something one day and then something different the next day. It is also important to note that all these campaigns are on pause so they should be stuck at the current charges ... not jumping all around the place. Now my bill went from $13 to $33. Overnight... with paused campaigns!
Free AMA alternative:

superaff
Trust:
This is the way it works. Let the winner goes and cut your losses. this month, I spend $500 on two blogs, and they didn't make me any money yet (couple of dollars).

I'm not mad about it. Actually, I'm pretty happy because I know that my offers don't work on these blogs. I learning something new and will improve.

Marketing is about improving your existing campaigns. It's true that it can be scary to see your dollars go out of your bank at light speed...

That's why Mark plan is the best plan I've seen on the net. start with seo, and later on, try ppc and other paid traffic sources.

Then, test, test and tweak until it becomes profitable.

Patience is important.

Regards,
Franck
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

superaff
Trust:
Update: I just bought one month of advertising for $180 on the blog I was waiting. Already outperforming the two other blogs (I'll ditch these two I think - at least one for sure, and the second I may test more)

Franck

superaff wrote:Awesome thread.

I'm just getting started with Media Buying as well. In fact, I've just bought a Media Buying course.

Here is what I do monthly:

1. I pay $200 for banners on a high traffic blog
2. I pay $100 monthly for a banner on another blog (due to results, I'll stop this one and invest elsewhere)
3. I made a test on a blog (first position for a high traffic keyword), and I got the best results. (the problem is that all banners area always sold out! I'm waiting for about two months now.)
4. I'll start buying PPV traffic.

Best,
Franck

gdmadan
Trust:
Hi All,

I am a newbie at Affiliate Marketing and have tried my hand with Adwords/Article marketing with very little success. I have gone through Saj's webinar and am interested in trying my hand with CPA Media buying.

When I think about using a clickbank product using the Media Buying techniques without using platforms like Adbrite, traffiq (as Saj was suggesting) and instead do my own research and go directly to the website owners to place my banners/ads, how can I be sure of the number of visitors or click throughs? Is there any way I can track that how many times my banner/ad has been displayed and how many click throughs I have got ?

Regards
Deep
superaff
Trust:
Hi,

First, welcome to affilorama.

This is an excellent way to do it. I do this for the blog I've mentioned above. The site's owner will give you some figures, but you really need to be careful.

There is a bit of click fraud on the industry, and you want to make sure you know your metrics before you start.

As an example, I advertise on three blogs this month:

Blog #1 have a nice stars dashboard and gives me more than 250 clicks per day (so does my tracker). but the reality is just 10-20 clicks per day.

On blog #2, traffic is so low that I don't want to talk about it (last day is today anyway)

Blog #3... WOW. I get 7-12 visitors per day and I already made one sale.

The best way to know is to take action. Then you cut the losers.

You want to run the site through quantcast and alexa.com to double check.

All the best,
Franck

gdmadan
Trust:
Hi Franck,

Thanks alot for the info.

However, what I really want to know is if there is any way for me to track the number of visitors and click throughs coming in from a blog or site where I am advertising. Sure, number of sales, clickbank would be able to track but I am really after the number of visitors or impressions and click throughs via the banner or ads that I would be placing on the blogs or other sites.

Any ideas.

Regards
Deep
superaff
Trust:
Hey Deep.

ah, ok.

I think that you need hypertracker.com

Regards.
Franck

gdmadan wrote:Hi Franck,

Thanks alot for the info.

However, what I really want to know is if there is any way for me to track the number of visitors and click throughs coming in from a blog or site where I am advertising. Sure, number of sales, clickbank would be able to track but I am really after the number of visitors or impressions and click throughs via the banner or ads that I would be placing on the blogs or other sites.

Any ideas.

Regards
Deep

PremiumMember
blake56
Trust:
Kevworx
I also ordered the videos you spoke about one the 19th. I received the videos on 30 December and have not reviewed but I will this upcoming week. I will post my thoughts.
snoop1956
Trust:
Hi Tango
It has been a couple of weeks now and how are your CPA offers going. Also, when advertising with Abrite did you use your affilate URL or another URL.
This is where I have had had problems with getting my ads accepted.

cheers
zfilinger
Trust:
ROI rocket was my first CPA network and I was super-excited to be apart. Unfortunately I was disappointed of their support - I sent them a question who can I talk to about my advertising methods and it's been a month and guess what? No reply.

Maxbounty is my recent favorite. I got a call from my affiliate manager and had a good talk with him. I told him in what offers I'm interested and he recommended me some offers in that area which are converting the best right now.

And their pages are the most transparent I've seen so far.

Zbynek
gdmadan
Trust:
Hi Zbynek,

Are you direct linking to the advertisers' offer page or you are using landing pages with your ads ?

And what kind of ads are you running - text or banner ?

Regards
Deep

This topic was started on Dec 13, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.