Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Making a living off Internet Marketing - Is it possible?

D you believe in fast success on the Internet?

13%

Yep, i did it and I'm a bazillionaire
87%

No, and the next person that tells me i can make loads of moola over night is going to get a belt in the labonza!
Total votes 15
elmo033057
Trust:

Making a living off Internet Marketing - Is it possible?

Dear Affilobuds and buddettes,

Here's a blog post by John Reese actually, it was a video. Here is my response to his post:

His post is here:

http://www.income.com/blog/

Here is my response:

I think the part about doing more than expected is cool and true, however I do not believe that people are going out and making $6,000 a mo. in just a few months. That is TOTAL CRAP. If there are, they are fery few and very lucky.

I have been running (very very dilligently I might add) a website for 5 years now plus I have another website and I have put a MASSIVE amount of time and effort into my sites with very little success. I have read loads of courses and implemented every thing I have learned over the past couple of years. As a matter of fact, I work a full time job and I would stay up until 2:00 am to work on this stuff. Very, very little success.

Honestly, I am one person that has tried for a half of a decade to do Internet marketing diligently.

Now, I am not telling you to not pursue this Internet marketing opportunity. Hey, I haven't given up. I never give up. However, whenever I hear anyone talking about quick success like this, I get a little angry and passionate. If you go into any business with the mindset that Ohhh, I'm gonna make $6,000 a month because I go way beyond what others are willing to do, well, all I can say is B.S. (please excuse my vernacular)

Oh, one other thing that irritates me to no end is this, (and then I'll shut up) all of the Internet Marketing Gurus tell you not to go into Internet Marketing as a business. Now, let me ask you this: What business are they in? And no sooner after they sell you or convince you to do something they start backending loads of other products at you.

Side note: That's one of the things I love about Affilorama, they don't try to backend you to death.

Listen, It's like a famous business person always states on his radio show:

If the deal is too good to be true....It probably is.

God Bless Mr. Reese,he seems to be a nice man and I am a very upbeat and positive person usually, but let's be realistic here please.

Mark Ellis
Owner, Operator, Marketer, Blogger, Artist, Photoshop Expert, etc. of
http://www.ellistrations.com
and
http://www.electricbikesnscooters.com

God Bless and Flame on!!! :mrgreen:[/u]
Mark Ellis a.k.a. "ELMO" Owner Ellistrations http://www.ellistrations.com

crowzy
Trust:
Hi Elmo,

I agree 100% with you.
elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobud Crowzy,

One other thing, I read a book recently called The 4 Hour Work Week and all of the IM Gurus are going nuts over it.

I am 1/2 way through it and it is an interesting read.

However IMer's are shooting themselves in the foot promoting this book or lifestyle because the author over and over again tells you to STOP READING EMAIL AND STOP READING STUFF ON THE NET BECAUSE IT IS A HUGE WASTE OF TIME!!!!

So, if the top IMer's (Like Ken McCarthy) are pushing this lifestyle then how are they gonna sell anything.......Hmmmm?

God Bless & Flame On!!! :mrgreen:

elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobuds and budettes,

I notice that my post was not allowed on Mr. Reese's blog. I didn't think it was such a bad post. Not very honest not to post it in my opinion.....

Elmo :mrgreen:

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I'm sure there are some people who are doing well after just a couple of months, but they will be few. Even John admitted it took him years to take off.

I don't really know what your problem with John Reese is. The internet marketing niche isn't an easy one to break into, so I think that's pretty good advice for most people. And also, backending is all part of the sales funnel, so if you don't like the concept of backending, why are you in marketing?

Or are you just having one of those days? :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
The only way he can keep something like that for a sales page is because SOME people do hit that mark that early on whether it is luck or not. However I think it's crap of him to take it off his forum.
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Interesting thought Elmo but to be honest I don't think it's "crap" - I think the key phrase here is:
If you go into any business with the mindset that Ohhh, I'm gonna make $6,000 a month because I go way beyond what others are willing to do,

From my point of view, going "way beyond what others are willing to do" doesn't nessesarily mean working hard at your business. Some of these new marketers, will do anything to get traffic and make sales and that means that they have to break a few "rules" to do so.

Look at the ones that made a bundle a few months back spamming MySpace with bulletins... they created software that would add 100's of "friends" to their accounts to make their promotions successful. There was an entire business built around selling myspace accounts loaded with friends :shock:

And there is another kid, that made thousands spamming Craigslist and then sold an ebook on how you could do it too.

So I don't find it hard to believe that there are kids out there making quick bucks, it's not the way I want to roll though.

EDITED TO ADD: after I thought about this post and thought about the kids that I know that are into internet marketing I want to add... one advantage that young kids have getting into IM is the lack of distractions. They could be out partying with their friends but they are doing what most others are not, commiting almost every waking hour to their im efforts. Once you enter the work force, have a family it is definitely harder to be focused and without distractions.

One of the biggest distractions for beginning and intermediate marketers though is listening to the latest and the greatest guru proclaiming to be giving away "Golden Tickets" :roll: speaking of distractions, time for me to get back to work :)

Just my two cents :)
PC
Last edited by promocode on 06 Jun 07 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobuds and Budettes,

Sometimes I feel as though I've been thrown buttocks over teakettle!

Hey I've got nothing against Mr. Reese I even said that he seems like a nice man. But c'mon I have seen some of these IM Gurus tell people in their advertisements that some poor woman from Peoria, made 10 million dollars selling ebooks blah blah blah...

Actually, I don't really care what they say in these ads anymore because I'm done reading them. I'm following the course set out here and I have no time for their emails.

As i said in one of my previous posts:

One other thing, I read a book recently called The 4 Hour Work Week and all of the IM Gurus are going nuts over it.

I am 1/2 way through it and it is an interesting read.

However IMer's are shooting themselves in the foot promoting this book or lifestyle because the author over and over again tells you to STOP READING EMAIL AND STOP READING STUFF ON THE NET BECAUSE IT IS A HUGE WASTE OF TIME!!!!

So that's exactly what I'm gonna do. I'll just take the advice of the good people here and filter out all of the excess stuff.

I figure if you guys can't help me then no one can.

Love you guys!!

FLAME ON!!!

ELMO :mrgreen:

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Good stuff elmo.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

cdidcott
Trust:
I watched the income.blog video too and was thinking along the same line as you Elmo.

Actually that was the first time I have seen John Reese speak on video and after the long introduction, I was a little deflated by his extra 5% speech.

Now I can imagine anyone that already rakes in a tidy profit and has a large customer base might benefit from offering an extra 5% to their customers.

But for the likes of me and many of the people looking to John Reese for inspiration, we aren't at that point yet and giving an extra 5% means staying up until 2.20am instead of switching the PC of at 2.00am.

And seeing the BMW M5 give-away, kinda deflated me further, since it rather rammed home to me how far I am from these guys.

I still respect John Reese, because a lot of the stuff I've read from him makes sense, and though I know I'll never reach the heights of Mr Reese, it doesn't stop me from reaching as high as I can.

Colin
elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobuds CididCott and Sean06.

I'm glad that i'm not the only one that saw that video as being cheesy. The thing that got me so mad was the fact that he didn't allow the post.
( which I made sure didn't sound too negative.)

I do know that you can make loads of money from IM because I personally know a millionaire that lives near me and I am redoing his Websites and I'm also doing his Video stuff for him as well.

However, he has been an information marketer for 25 years and has developed loads of courses and when the Internet came along he started selling his stuff on there as well.

I will tell you the two pieces of advice he has given me so far and I'm sure there are tons of other marketers that have said this already but the first and most important thing he said to do was ...........

I'll tell you in the next post if anyone really wants to know.

You see it is at this point that I would hold the carott over your head and tell you to get out your plastic.

Hmmmmm......maybe I will.....

Flame On!!!

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hey Elmo,

I can understand a bit of your frustration there. It sounds to me, though, like you were more venting about all make-money-online self professed gurus rather than John Reese himself. (Or indeed, that particular video.)

John has good ideas, and he makes some good points in that video that will be relevant to some people. No one can deny that he is an excellent marketer. But that's the key there... he's a marketer. That whole "here's a BMW" thing -- marketing. Those guys had to have a hook for that piece, and there is was. "John Reese gets a BMW just for showing up". It's all a flash of showmanship to get people to pay attention.

(Slight tangent: Have you seen the film "The Prestige"? It's all about magicians, illusionists, very good movie. When I was watching that I couldn't help but think of internet marketers too... big flashy front, but under the stage there are a hang of a lot of things going on. I won't draw similarities with the end of the movie though :) )

Take what you can from guys like John, learn what you can, but don't be annoyed with them for doing what they do best. Just keep your eye on *your* game.

By the way, the comments on that blog post don't seem to me to be particularly insightful or thought provoking. Perhaps that's why yours wasn't allowed ;)

Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

elmo033057
Trust:
Marc,

Not to keep on going on abou this stuff and I don't really want to kill a knat with a howitzer or anything like that, but here are some of the comments that made it:

Give and thou shall receive..

That’s the way it should work.

You did it John.

Shah

Or this:

That was awesome. Thanks for the Reese Rule.

I think this was the point I was missing and now its time to take ACTION !

Thanks John.

-Anurag

As a matter of fact, I really didn't see one negative comment anywhere. the responses were all just about like this which means: HYPE

As I said before, if something looks too good to be true it probably is.

I have no more time for those types of email or Blogs. I need realistic answers and fairness.

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I still don't really see what's negative about the video?

Just want to clear something up about the 5% thing John mentioned. He's not talking about working 5% harder. He's talking about doing things just a little better than the rest. Offering 5% more value etc.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
mimenta
Trust:
John Reece is only one of a bunch of Gurus all plugging something.
What crawls up my nose is that there are several cliques of Gurus who cross promote each other, making claims this is the new fast track to wealth.

The truth is that Guru "N" gets an idea that might work. He tries it for 2-4 weeks and makes some money at it, so gets his friends Guru "I, B and S" to try it too. After another couple 2-4 weeks they agree it works and write a glowing testimony for Guru "A", who now writes his sales spiel.

Along comes you and I who fall for the sales spiel which was a great trick 2 months ago. We follow the instructions religiously and see our returns blip as we catch a few sales before the search bots are updated because Google (or whoever) got wise to the trick.

You don't have to be good at addition to see where listening to these cliques of Gurus will get you - "IN BS"

Every time Mark crows about another I.M. - I cringe and hope he's not joined one of these cliques.
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Listen to my blog www.affilorama.com/blog

There is an interesting free interview there with my life coach.

In it she recommends a lot of things to reduce the 'noise' of distractions, such as marketing hype.

Also, why are you guys on so many mailing lists??? Don't you think that 1 or 2 are enough? If it really is BIG news, either the product or the techniques behind it will come across your eyes, just focus on what you are doing and not on searching everywhere for opportunities.

Mark

PS Elmo, just a suggestion as you are a designer. Why not set up a site like this? http://webdesignfromscratch.com/ I'd blog about it if you did, it's fantastic for newbie web designers and it seems to be up your alley.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

wayfarer
Trust:
Well said mark,

Lack of focus is the biggest obstacle :shock:
jaydebaca
Trust:
First, I enjoyed your RESSE BLOG response, and agree, it should have been left untouched. I hate sensorship, but yet I know once it "sticks" it is very hard to remove! One thing that my attorney friend taught me is to VENT, GET MAD, write it, and let it GEL! In a few days, its interesting how one changes the tone of the original post.

Second: Yes, it is crap but there is HOPE! The way I see it here in the forum and on Mark's continual efforts is how dynamic this industry is. Things are changing and evolving every minute! This forum and exclusive membership is MY ARMOUR and PROTECTION INSURANCE from those predators that tell me I will be a GAZILLIONAIRE ... by clicking here! I am assured his staff is on all the "BS" out in webland. Personally for me, I am glad I do not have to waste hours checking out all the hype! Also Mark's integrity is gold. I am sure everything he posts is carefully worded. If things flop, I know Mark is a man that will be the first to let us know. I am not sure where it came from, and it could be in the 90 day RoadMap, but really we have to avoid getting on so many lists and schemes. My Spam filter blocks most of them, and I delete at least 5 a day and tell them to REMOVE me from their lists. I am not sure however if that creates more problems... ( Another Topic! )

Third, I am a follower of Mark Joyner and SimpleOlogy. Yeah, I was a big fan of the movie: "What the Bleep..." and now have scrapped a huge portion of that ideaology. I still hold true the beliefs of "The Secret" as it creates your thought or what I call a "thinkon particle"... This with ACTION creates RESULTS!

Good Job on what your doing! Stay the Course! Jay
elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobuds and Buddettes,

It looks like I stirred up quite a bit of controversy with the Reese video thingy. Well, I can at least say about the man is he is a great promoter just like the Rich Jerk Dude.

I think what happens in my mind is I first try like the dickens to accomplish something on the Internet with my sites and then I see these stories of these people making loads of money and I get frustrated. I start to wonder if I am going in the right direction or not.

This affiliate marketing business (at least in my mind) is like sailing through a fog. You really don't know for sure if you are going in the right direction or not and you may not see results right away.

However, after saying that, I would also like to point out something interesting that I saw today. I happened to have on the TV today "Dragon-The Bruce Lee Story" When I was a kid, Bruce Lee was da man! I had his posters all over my bedroom and I went to every one of his movies. All of my friends thought he was the coolest too. To me Bruce Lee was more than an movie star, he was an actual super hero that could do many of the things you saw in the movies. My friends and I all read about him as much as we could and one of my friends became a black belt in Karate because of Bruce Lee.

Anyway, before I ramble on too much, I was watching the movie today which was a biography of the man and his career and I had forgotten something. Bruce Lee spent almost 15 years of his short lived life in the pursuit of success. He came from a poor immigrant family and for most of his adolesence he lived a very modest life. As he matured into adulthood and as a martial artist, he ecked out a living anyway he could to include waiting on tables at a resturant.

When he finally became noticed as an actor and as a martial artist, he still had a very modest income and had to work odd jobs to support his family. Finally, he was approached by an executive at ABC to begin work on a new TV show based on martial arts. Extremely excited by this prospect, Bruce was sure that he and the producers could make the show work and he poured his guts into making all of the arrangements to help produce the show.

The show aired on ABC in 1972 and the producers hired a more "serene" actor to play the lead role by the name of David Carridine. This was another major set back for Lee who was tormented by their decision and who was never consulted.

Now I'm sure everyone has heard of Bruce Lee. Lee returned to China to visit relatives and was approached by a famous movie producer named Raymond Chow. The rest of Lee's life was meteoric.

The point is this. You have to latch onto a dream with an iron fist and never ever let go. The road to success is full of twists and turns but sooner or later success will come and when it does it is so much sweeter because you worked, studied or whatever the hell you had to do to get results.

Yeah, it's frustrating and sometimes even humiliating but what good would it all be if it were handed to you on a silver platter? Everyone would be able to do it easily and eventually no one would be able to make money at it!

The true successes of the world will tell you that you have to focus, work hard and develop a system that works for you. You never will know for sure what your efforts will produce until they actually happen. So fasten your seat belts, lock your trays and make sure that your seat is in a full upright position. It is time for take off!!!!

God Bless to you all!

jaydebaca
Trust:
Persistence! I think too, we have all been there, and we all understand your frustration!
elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobuds Jaydebaca & Marc Ling,

Thanks so much for posting your response. I hope that the post I made will help others.

Marc, thanks for posting the excellent blog site for Website designers. it was fantastic!!!

God Bless my friends!

Flame On!!! :mrgreen:
ELMO

PremiumMember
mimenta
Trust:
Whatever the IM Gurus do, worked for them. What they forget to mention is all the stuff that didn't.

I have had the privilege to spend time with some very wealthy people.

An executive from Oxiana, a very successful mining company, said to me, "Success isn't about striking gold, it's about moving all the stuff to get to it. We begin by KNOWING the gold is there - thats what drives us to move all that rock. If we didn't KNOW it was there, we wouldn't bother."

The corollary is: Once you to convince yourself the Gold is there and you will move the stuff to get to it. You won't start digging elsewhere because you KNOW where the gold really is.

Maybe we should start selling ourselves, rather than let the other Guru's sell us their stuff they have dug up.
elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobud Mimenta,

Great post. You are the Obi Wan of Affilorama.

PremiumMember
mimenta
Trust:
Thanks Elmo
and may the force be with you too :lol:
kiwikool
Trust:
"Success isn't about striking gold, it's about moving all the stuff to get to it. We begin by KNOWING the gold is there - thats what drives us to move all that rock. If we didn't KNOW it was there, we wouldn't bother."

Good Stuff!

Thanks for posting

Matt 8)
Search & Review Products With http://www.somethingabout.com

elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobuds and Budettes,

Here is another great quote that I found. You should copy this out and put it over your computers.

Harold B. Lee - “One of the greatest business leaders in America today, James F. Oates of the Equitable Life, said this about factors which he said were necessary to develop us into real eminence in any field. He said:

Whatever may be the nature of our work, or the character of our own vocational activity, eminence always involves the following: [And then he named four factors, and I want you to mark them.]

1. You must have the determination to excel.

2. You must have the willingness [And I want you to mark this.] to pay the price, to study, to live through disappointments with optimism, and to accept the sacrifices necessary to succeed. [Now, do you get the significance of that?]

3. You must have the steadfast pursuit of purpose, doing the work day after day, week after week, yes, year after year, whether you feel like doing it or not. 4. You must have pride and faith in the virtue of your calling. [That is to say, spiritual motivation.]

(James F. Oates, Address before the YMCA at Los Angeles, California, April 15, 1960.)”

I came across that today and I felt it was important enough to share it.

Flame On!!!