Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Magazine cover (style) for hompage

nates450r
Trust:

Magazine cover (style) for hompage

An idea passed though my thoughts while looking at my new fitness magazine.

What it was, was the big, bold,stand out text on the cover. I though about how much these big magazine companies must pay the people who design these covers.

And another thing, whenever i walk by a magazine stand more often than not, I will pick up a magazine based
on the text on the top 1/4 of the magazine (the part you can see) cover because it looks interesting or there's a piece of text that stands out .

I wanted to know what your opinions are on roughly basing a website like a magazine?
meaning the home page would be the cover.

Even though the homepage is not your target for visitors, I think this concept could work for article pages as well
In the end the cover is what catches your eye to pick up and read the magazine.
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Magazine covers and web pages have entirely different goals and functions.

As we learned in design school, "Form follows function (or should)". So with different functions they need to look different and be different.

The function of a magazine cover it to stand out on the newsstand amid all the other dozens of magazine covers - as you pointed out. But you don't see your web page until you've already decided to visit it - it's not competing on your screen with other web pages.

They do both share the function of indicating what the topic is and what style will be used to express that topic. But the magazine only has to impress you - like a static picture. The web page also has to be practical and usable - to get something done for the visitor. Your web page is not something someone will put on a wall and stare it. It's a tool to use.

The biggest difference is that the web page is interactive and non-linear (hyperlinked).

Anyway, that's my opinion....

Cheers!
_jim coe
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
I think I understand what your thinking, but keep in mind, the way we build traffic to our site, most of the people who come to your site may never even see the home page.

I use my home page to tell what the site is about and to give some guidelines I think would be helpful. But if that page was never seen, my site would still have plenty of useful information on it.
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

I agree with the above, however, you're on the right track with one thing, the top 1/4 of your pages! This is of course what the visitor will see first and should be used wisely, depending upon the objective of the page, to get the correct message across and cause the visitor to continue reading or take some other action.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
More and more, I am looking at the main purpose of my site overall and focusing my home page on that purpose. For most of my affiliate sites, the purpose of the site is to build an email list that I can build a further relationship with, so I am using my home page to grab leads, and focusing them on high search "authority" keywords. these are often more competitive keywords, but will bring a lot more traffic as well.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
I am also impressed at this magazine-style for websites. However, these types of sites are often good for portfolios or websites that really promote "aesthetics". If you are not really promoting such niche, then I advise that you go on standard layout or simpler website. What counts most is to get traffic and convert this traffic to sales. :)
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

nates450r
Trust:
esolutions wrote:Hi,

I agree with the above, however, you're on the right track with one thing, the top 1/4 of your pages! This is of course what the visitor will see first and should be used wisely, depending upon the objective of the page, to get the correct message across and cause the visitor to continue reading or take some other action.

Well that was sort of my idea because I'm having problems with high bounce rates. I mean I'm getting traffic (100-250) from search engine visits a day and those are spread over all my article pages. My site is fairly optimized.

From the stats about half of the daily traffic land on an article page then bounce around to different articles. The other half is bouncing off. But the thing is the articles are about 90% relevant to the (searched keywords) but the visitors are not staying on page long enough to read the article.

When you look at a magazine cover the big bold text is what catches your, the big bold text is facts and stories contained in the magazine.

At the top of the article pages if I had big bold text with short facts contained in the article i thought it would might translate into people staying on page and reading.

I don't know maybe it's a dumb idea it was just a thought.
Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
nates450r wrote:Well that was sort of my idea, becouse im having a problem with a high bounce rate i mean im getting traffic (100-250) search engine visits a day and those are spread over all my article pages. my site is fairly otimized.

from the stats about half of the daily traffic land on an article page then bounce around to diff articles the other half is bouncing off. but the thing is the articles are about 90% relevent to the (searched keywords) but the visiters are not staying on page long enough to read the article.

when you look at a magazine cover the big bold text is what catches your, the big bold text is facts and stories contained in the magazine.

at the top of the article pages if i had big bold text with short facts contained in the article i thought it would might translate into people staying on page and reading.

i dont know maybe its a dumb idea it was just a thought.

What you're saying actually makes a lot of sense to me now. Well, have you tried analyzing your keywords? Maybe they are too generic. Long tail keywords work best when you want visitors to really stay longer on your pages.

In case you have long tail keywords and has really made an effort to produce quality content with those keywords, there are times when people want to read different "content" using those keywords. Try to make a quick search with the keywords you used for pages with high bounce rates. Check out the results in Google and see what other sites are talking about using those keywords. You may get an idea on what you are missing within your content.

Additionally, while making your text visible enough for readers to see (like what you are saying), you may also try to shorten your paragraphs and sentences. Using bullet points and sub-headings also helps a lot.

Good luck!
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

mark schaaf
Trust:
The only problem I see with a magazine style home page and a real magazine it that you may see a magazine in a news stand and say that looks nice and see the title of an article you want to read and buy it thinking I will read it later. However on the internet nobody bookmarks anything unless they have already read a lot on the site and wants to keep it for future reference or to buy something later. So unfortunately for us if they don't stay and read right away they probably won't come back. I like you have a high bounce rate coming in from long tail keywords and have specific information on each page so I kind of don't get why someone goes to a specific page to get some specific information and not read what is there.
Mark

nates450r
Trust:
mark schaaf wrote: I like you have a high bounce rate coming in from long tail keywords and have specific information on each page so I kind of don't get why someone goes to a specific page to get some specific information and not read what is there.

glad somebody else understands me lol
kal
Trust:
I doubt that this is a good idea, both are completely different things and that kind of landing page would not lead to any good.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Mark, the reason is probably that something scared them off. The page took too long to load, color scheme didn't agree with them (ask James about his red relationship scheme :D ), felt there was too many ads and not enough content just from the first glance -- or maybe they just didn't see what they thought they were looking for. Any of these could be reasons that would cause them to hit the back button BEFORE they've even read a single word.

I think when JimCoe gets his book ready, it may help a lot of people here to understand the visual impact your site has. And people make impressions before they've even read the content.

Don't believe visuals have an impact? Check out these websites from (in their own words, not mine) hell.
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

mark schaaf
Trust:
Hi gradyp, I know what you mean about many of the things you mentioned but I speed test all my pages in 3 different testers and they always say my pages load faster then 90% of the pages on the web. I have read a lot info on color schemes for different types of websites and chose my color based on comments from many family members and friends and they like my color scheme better then all the others I asked them to look at.

I have only one ad on my site and no adsense at all. I think it is probably how long the articles are but my website is about travel and if someone types in how to find an italian hotel and lands on my page and sees a 800 to 1000 work article giving step by step instructions on how to do exactly what they are looking to do, how long do they think it will take to get this kind of information.

I tell people I look at my site as if it were a baking site, if someone wants to learn how to bake a cake and goes to a cake baking site what do they expect to see just a list of ingredients which would be meaningless or would you want a site that tells you mix this then that then add this and so on otherwise you might end up with a blog of mush in you cake pan. I know people are getting lazier and lazier but I don't know of a way to put lots of information into a much shorter article.

I have often thought about putting at the top of my pages something saying if you don't want to know how to do this then leave otherwise stay and read a while. It sounds goofy and drastic but if only 2 out of 10 targeted visitors stay and the rest leave it might not hurt to try. Mark
Mark

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Sometimes, it's hard to get honest feedback from friends and family... Quite often, they don't want to hurt your feelings and so don't always share the way they feel. Now, a family member who has done what you want to do on the other hand may be more willing to give you honest feedback.

Not necessarily saying this is true of your family. Just take feedback from friends and family with a grain of salt.

I didn't mean to imply that these are the only things that could cause high bounce rates or suggest that your site is affected by them (since I haven't seen your site), just merely commenting on some common causes.

And I must admit I'm still figuring a lot of this out myself, too.

I'm finding more and more that "Google" traffic (ie organic search engine traffic) tends to be more "tire kickers" than most other forms. Most of my traffic that comes from other blogs, for example, tends to be more repeat visitors and tends to stay on my site longer and have a lower bounce rate than traffic from Google (and other search engines). So my goal in May is to develop more traffic from other sources such as guest posting and YouTube videos to see if I can 1) improve my traffic and 2) improve my conversions.

We should be careful of placing all our eggs in Google's basket. Can it help? Yes. But as many have seen in the last few years, a simple change can have profound effects.

And even if you think you have great colors, It doesn't hurt to tweak things occasionally to see if you can improve your results ;)

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
gradyp wrote:I'm finding more and more that "Google" traffic (ie organic search engine traffic) tends to be more "tire kickers" than most other forms. Most of my traffic that comes from other blogs, for example, tends to be more repeat visitors and tends to stay on my site longer and have a lower bounce rate than traffic from Google (and other search engines). So my goal in May is to develop more traffic from other sources such as guest posting and YouTube videos to see if I can 1) improve my traffic and 2) improve my conversions.

We should be careful of placing all our eggs in Google's basket. Can it help? Yes. But as many have seen in the last few years, a simple change can have profound effects.

Well said gradyp. It would not really help if we "over analyze" our traffic stats. I know Google is a top source of traffic for everyone, but sometimes, the best, or at least a better working solution would be thinking out of the box on what "other" source of traffic we can utilize to help increase our visitors.

mark schaaf
Trust:
For the most part I don't really care much for google, they change to many things to often and mess up too many people's livelihoods in what they always call an attempt at giving the best user experience. I myself use Yahoo for almost everything I look up and just check google to see where I am in there search listing.

I would have to agree with you about the google tire kickers. I can't prove it since google analytics doesn't tell me which people coming from what source are the ones that stay on the site. But I do think that people that read my articles on Squidoo and ezine articles along with travel forums and such are the people that stay on my site the longest.

I think my biggest problem is trying to put something in the article that will get them to buy something not just all the information I am giving them. I do know if most people are like me they may go to my site 5 to 10 times before they make a commitment because when I planned all my trips before I put together this site I would do the same. I also know the niche I am in is a very difficult one but get a little discouraged when reading how some people ln this forum are getting 3 and 4 hundred clicks a day and I may on a good day get 10 to 15 and I am on Yahoo page 1 position 1 for 3 different long tail keyword strings. I know I should branch out a bit and let my main site just sit and take it's course and I plan to but also feel like a newbie in trying to figure out what other markets to try out. Mark
Mark

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
mark schaaf wrote:I think my biggest problem is trying to put something in the article that will get them to buy something not just all the information I am giving them. I do know if most people are like me they may go to my site 5 to 10 times before they make a commitment because when I planned all my trips before I put together this site I would do the same. I also know the niche I am in is a very difficult one but get a little discouraged when reading how some people ln this forum are getting 3 and 4 hundred clicks a day and I may on a good day get 10 to 15 and I am on Yahoo page 1 position 1 for 3 different long tail keyword strings. I know I should branch out a bit and let my main site just sit and take it's course and I plan to but also feel like a newbie in trying to figure out what other markets to try out. Mark

You are right about visitors going to a site more than once before making the purchase. This is one behavior we must put into consideration when it comes to selling something online. If you want them to buy something from you, keep them interested. You can do this by having a well-designed website, more enticing pictures that goes well with your content, interesting and snappy headlines, and clear user navigation.

Additionally, you can incorporate real interaction within your site by constantly updating your content, and asking visitors to vote or cast their opinions (this can be done through survey, polls, etc).

The bottom line here is to show your visitors that your website is worth visiting again. You should not force them into buying something from you in their first visit. You can, however, guide them through a process by supplying them of all the factors above, and then once you earned their trust, you can include a "call to action" strategy. Again, a call to action should never be about having them buy this or that. Depending on the industry you are in, you can make a fill-up form for them to contact you or perhaps a newsletter sign-up. The idea of "buy now" scares a lot of people, so you should be able to think of a way that will earn their trust first before selling something to them.

This topic was started on Apr 24, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.