Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Made changes to my site www.luvcomputers.com - Thoughts?

davmontrose
Trust:

Made changes to my site www.luvcomputers.com - Thoughts?

Hey there guys, well my site is up. I want ahead and took out all the adsense blocks and what not like you suggested, so some of the pages right now look pretty bare. Obviously I have a ton of content to add into the different sections yet. I wasn't able to take out one of the affiliate programs in there as one of the pages was completely based around that pretty much.

I do think it will work out alright with Charles Heflin's recommendations on the subcategories being related to the general theme, because they are all aspects of PC Repair, so they all sort of need to be in there.

So now it will be getting it submitted to as many directories as I can, so hopefully leaving that one program in there won't hurt to much I hope.

Eventually, I will be supplying people with access to my recommended antivirus softwares, data backup solutions, etc., and these will be affiliate programs as well, I've already checked into the one's I wanted to recommend.

Keep in mind that some of the articles aren't quite complete yet in a couple of sections, and I do have a lot more to add yet, just been trying to get a ton done before I actually upload them.

You guys are welcome to go have a look, and let me know what you think, and also perhaps give me some suggestions, on what type of things I should be adding to make it a better type of visit for a viewer.

Right now the forms in the site, aren't leading back to any email accounts or anything yet, so don't fill those out!!

Anyways, ya fire away, I'm totally open to suggestions and what not, I mean if anybody ought to know about which types of elements and features to perhaps add, then it would be you guys. I'll be adding updating newsfeeds eventually too.

*broken link*

Thanx Davin
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Feb 10 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove broken link

PremiumMember
eddie53
Trust:
Hi Davin,

Not sure if it is my browser or not, but your content does not fit within the borders of your white box.

The title is actually overlapping the next line of text. This is happening on all pages.

I am using Firefox
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
hey Davin, just a couple of quick things. I'm seeing what Eddie is seeing too.

I would personally change the background. I think solid colours look more professional that textured ones.

Have you got any better photos of yourself? I think it would be better if it didn't look like something you've been playing with in photoshop.

I think site structure is better when you use text links for menus rather than buttons and some script.

The two images below your head will add more credibility if you can click them and be taken to somewhere where you will be verified. Not sure if this is possible.

I'll see if I can think of anything more later, I'm just on my way out.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

davmontrose
Trust:
hmmm, well that's odd, about the overlapping and not fitting sort of thing.
I wonder if it's because I switched my resolution to 1024x768, from 800x600, when I was making it. I then had to resize things to make it look better for that resolution. It looks normal to me when I look at it in 1024x768. I'll have to switch back to see what you guys are seeing I guess.

Actually Sean, I did have it as just a solid white background until just recently, maybe I should switch it back. I just figured it looked a little better with the texture. As for the photos linking somewhere, wouldn't that sort of thing go against what I'm trying to with the silo structure. I was under the impression that I should be only linking to one next subcategory within the body of the text, which is what it does. As for the picture, yeah, I agree, this picture is only temporary I figure, until I take a few more of myself. thanx for the replies, keep it coming, just want to make it as good as possible, Davin
davmontrose
Trust:
I switched my resolution back too 800x600, to see if i could see what you guy's are seeing, but I still can't. It looks the same in that resolution only larger of course. But whatever is happening I better take care of it. It looks normal in my browser. Davin
davmontrose
Trust:
Actually I just looked at it in Mozilla Firefox, and can see what you guy's are talking about with the overlapping, also none of my alternative text is showing up in Firefox either, that's weird. I'm not sure what to do about that? Davin
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
hey Davin,

as for the background, do a bit of experimenting, it's the only way to know what looks good.

And as for the links, you can either use a dynamic link, or add a nofollow tag to the links, so the search engines won't go there. That should fix your site structure problem.

I'm afraid I can't really help you with the design problem, I'm a bit of a dill when it comes to that stuff myself.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Hi Davin,

Good going getting your site up and rolling.

I'm getting the same overlapping text in Firefox and I'm wondering why the "Worldwide Computer Solutions through a Local PC Repair Service" is there outside the box maybe put it inside the white table - I'm thinking that would be a great spot for your keyword headline.

also, the blue underlined text like; LuvComputers PC Repair, is confusing because it looks like a link but it isn't.

I find the color for your footer link hover is too dark to read on my monitor - maybe a lighter blue would work better.

and I agree with Sean, the background is confusing, there's so much going on in the page, you may want to try a solid background. I always have a diffecult time deciding on table colors and found this html color combination picker to be helpful.

Adding your photo is great, people like doing business with a real person but your photo does look rather Photoshopp-ed up. I smoothed out your edges, to see the difference, use it if you like, I'll take it offline after a day.

The copy on your home page, though lovely for me to read because I care about you as a board-mate, That would be a great "about me" page but it doesn't give a compelling reason for a prospect to stick around and find out more about how you can help them. Prospects only want to know "what's in it for me" or the benefits you can offer them and nothing more - so I would re-work your copy to include:
* benefits
* benefits and more
* benefits

Those are just a few ideas from me, do with it whatever you will :wink:

Congrats, You're off to a great start Davin, much success to you :)

PC
Last edited by promocode on 13 Dec 06 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

davmontrose
Trust:
hmm, ya I'm not sure about the photo, pc, I'm not sure why the image is reversed, and man my hair looks a lot shorter in it, hahaha. Thanx for the comments. I'll have to figure out some solution to this thing with the Firefox thing. I think maybe it has something to do with the way it's reading my h1 and h2 tags, because those two headings at the top are my h1 and h2 tags, it's really confusing why this is happening in firefox and not in Internet Explorer though. thanx Davin
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
davinator wrote:hmm, ya I'm not sure about the photo, pc, I'm not sure why the image is reversed, and man my hair looks a lot shorter in it, hahaha. ...

oops - sorry Davin - I thought you had a baseball cap on backwards - I didn't mean to give you a haircut - apologizes :oops:
... maybe your mother would like the new look :roll:

PC
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
promocode wrote:
davinator wrote:hmm, ya I'm not sure about the photo, pc, I'm not sure why the image is reversed, and man my hair looks a lot shorter in it, hahaha. ...

oops - sorry Davin - I thought you had a baseball cap on backwards - I didn't mean to give you a haircut - apologizes :oops:
... maybe your mother would like the new look :roll:

PC

haha
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Just looking really quickly, here are some things I saw:

You haven't specified a doctype at the top of your page. If IE can't find a doctype (basically a set of rules for your page, telling it what type of HTML you're writing it in) it'll display things in "quirks" mode. "Quirks" for IE means "I'll do whatever I want, I don't care." Unfortunately, if you're designing in quirks mode to begin with (as you would have been) you'll find that the page displays weirdly once you get it into the "proper" browsers, who read things correctly.

Specifically: You're using a lot of DIVs which aren't interpreted the same between browsers (without a doctype specified.) You've also got these DIVs positioned with absolute positioning. Things like this:

To interpret a little: "position:absolute" means "this is it's position relative to the top left edge of the page". It's overriding the normal position of the content.

The z-index is like a layer. Things with a z-index of 4 are "on top" of things with a z-index of 3. Normally the content of a page can't sit on top of other content unless it's a background image, or something. Z-index allows you to pile things on top of each other, and they all pretend the other thing isn't there.

You've also got H1 and H2 tags without margins specified, and there might be a difference between IE and Firefox in their default margin values for headings. A good idea is to create a stylesheet that sets all your heading margins to 0 to begin with.

You've also specified one big background image to be the container for your text. What happens if you write more text than fits inside the box, or if your reader is hard of sight and increases the font size? Your text is going to overflow the box. Then it runs into the content at the bottom of the page which is absolutely positioned, a certain number of pixels from the top and left of the page!

If I were you, I'd either ditch as much of the absolute positioning and z-indexing as I could, and put it inside a table (they're old-fashioned, but the browsers read them roughly the same way.) Or else try specifying a doctype and see what that does. (It will probably screw things up to begin with.) And ditch the background box.

Good luck!
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

davmontrose
Trust:
Well I went ahead and changed some of the things by the suggestions I have gotten. But I tell you, I'm about to blow this computer up.

I'm having a total problem changing html that the program has already produced. It's alright for adding new code, but for changing code that is already written, by the program BlueVoda, is so far unchangeable. I have a question about this in on their forum, so hopefully they have answers.

It does look a lot cleaner with the changes, but is a work in progress of course.

Whilst I am here, does anybody know if Wordpress blogs are indexed or not? If so then I am going to add a link from there to my site. Thanx Davin
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Do wordpress blogs get indexed? They sure as heck do my friend.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
sean06 said
And as for the links, you can either use a dynamic link, or add a nofollow tag to the links, so the search engines won't go there. That should fix your site structure problem.

can you explain how to add no follow tags please? thanks
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
revimp wrote:sean06 said

can you explain how to add no follow tags please? thanks

<a href="http://www.google.com" rel="nofollow">Google</a>

Adrian,
PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
So, if it was just a straight link out to an affiliate , the only thing I would need to do would be this:
    http://www.myaffiliatelink.com
" rel="nofollow"
I should do this for all affiliate links to others outside of my site? thanks
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
If you dont want them to count as outbounds then yes.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
thank you so much. I can't believe I did not know this before. I have many out bound links that I can use this on.