Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Just how hard is the climb to #1?

unit
Trust:

Just how hard is the climb to #1?

Hi all,

Just asking everyone a quick question here. I have managed to get most of my targeted keywords to the first page of Google. Which is good, right, well my question is just how hard is the climb to #1?

All keywords seem to be hanging out between 5 thru 10 and that's just not good enough. I'm a little overdependent on Google at the moment but I'm building other avenues slowly but surely. I just thought the whole plan here was to get on the front page of Google. Well I made my goal and can't help but be a little disappointed, It seems as if it's #1 or nothing? I mean I followed all the proper keyword research guidelines as far as Mark explained and feel good about the traffic numbers for those targeted keywords, but still not much traffic from Google at 5th place, really?

It just seems that the top spots in this niche are dominated by PR 8's that are established with a freaking ton of backlinks (maybe not to that specific keyword, but still) it just makes me wonder what I have to do different here or do I just keep plugging along.

Thanks
Unit
Discover the inside secrets of winning the lottery at www.masterluck.com

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
keep plugging along. I found that when i focussed on other sources of traffic, my Google rankings go up across the board. also, i find traffic quality 3-5 spots give the best results for me. yes I get less people, but almost tripple the conversions per visitor as I do at #1. I care more about conversions.

think about it if you get 1000 visitors, and 3 people buy or you get 500 visitors and 9 people buy, which one did you more good?

also, google rankings is all about competetiion. every keyword will be different. I have some that rank #1 with almost no effort, and others that take months of work to get ranking. it all depends on competition.

PR really doesn't mean much, but the massive links they have do. if they have 10,000 links to the page, you will probably need at least that many.

personally, If I see the pages with that many links I look for a different keyword. Think about this, which is more effective, spending 8 months to get ranking for a keyword that gets 10,000 visitors, or spending 2-3 months getting ranking for 10 keywords that get 500 monthly searches? less traffic, but easier to rank for and faster results. and you can spend more time on improving your site and less time working on SEO.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

unit
Trust:
Thanks JM,

Yeah I think I've picked good keywords to rank for because of where I'm ranked so quickly and the traffic is supposedly there for those keywords, just haven't seen them coming to me yet.

My conversion rates are so high, at this early stage at least, that if I could just reach my traffic goals then I should see some real results. Anyway I'm just going to keep chipping away at the leaders.

Good luck to all
Unit
Discover the inside secrets of winning the lottery at www.masterluck.com

This topic was started on Jan 17, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.