Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Is it worth fixing an old site

ashley.weyers
Trust:

Is it worth fixing an old site

I have an old (3 years) site that has been really neglected. I had an rss feed posting articles ( I know, quality..:( )

I am going through the AB3 course and was wondering if it was worth redoing the site correctly, or rather starting from scratch.

I am worried that I have to much baggage in Google indexing to make a good impact.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

If the site doesn't have any real quality and not many backlinks or popularity, then it is definitely a better idea to simply start correctly from scratch. You can 301 redirect the old site to your new site if you are worried about losing any of the link juice that it might have.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi ashley.weyers,

esolutions is right. Given what that old site is, it's much better to just start fresh. You're right, you have too much baggage in Google indexing, it'll be more difficult to get the site ranking.

Have a good weekend!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

michael8
Trust:
ashley.weyers wrote:I have an old (3 years) site that has been really neglected. I had an rss feed posting articles ( I know, quality..:( )
I am going through the AB3 course and was wondering if it was worth redoing the site correctly, or rather starting from scratch.
I am worried that I have to much baggage in Google indexing to make a good impact.

What do you mean by 'start from scratch'? To me, that's either:
(a) Buy a new domain for AB3 and forget the old domain, site, hosting, etc. and let it all expire.
(b) Remove all site content, keeping the name and just pointing the existing name to a new site

Things to do before you decide:
- Have a look at the PR; if PR is > 0 then there is no 'baggage' and you have link juice left and should keep or sell the site or name.
- Get a valuation on the name - you many be surprised (look around, there's free sites to do this).
- Do a search on Google for the site (site:domain name), see if it's still there, if yes then it's still OK and doesn't have any baggage (i.e. it's not banned), it just needs to be built up again, even if it's a PR0 site.

It's worth noting that 'aged' domains are worth more than newly registered ones so if you've had it for a while, it may be worth something.

Assuming you have a reasonable name, I'd be looking to go with option (b). Keep the domain name, replace everything else behind as part of the course, and you have a new site. If you don't want it any more, you can still do this, build up the traffic a bit, put some adsense ads up and (hopefully) earn a bit of income and then sell it as a going concern once the course is over (checkout flippa.com. there are also others to look at).

I was in a webinar today where a guy did this, took him 3 months to build some traffic and he sold the site for ~$60K. 20K a month, nice little earn.
ashley.weyers
Trust:
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated, was exactly the feedback I needed.

This topic was started on Jun 01, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.