Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Is it smart to add a video clip to your website?

kurt
Trust:

Is it smart to add a video clip to your website?

I was just wondering what other people thought about putting a video clip on your website. A video from youtube perhaps that's related to your niche. I thought it might make a website more interesting and interactive.

Then I thought of another perk. It would keep people on your page longer. And, I've heard that if people leave your page quickly, the search engines (google anyways) will assume that you didn't have relevant enough content. And if enough people do that, it could bring your ranking down.

I figure if you had a relevant and interesting video, people might at least stick around to watch that. Obviously you wouldn't want it to be too long or they might decide not to watch it after all. But if it's not too long -like say five minutes or so (and it is interesting), then at least you've guaranteed that that the avarage person is going to stick around for at least five minutes. And, in all likely hood they'll probably stick around for at least a couple more minutes reading stuff, as long as you've done your job of putting good content -well written articles on your website. So now the average person is staying for at least seven minutes or more. That's not bad.

What do you think about this idea?
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Good idea :)
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Videos are a great addition to your site, but you have to be carefull too. keep them short and simple. Based on my own experience, people have a short attention span. 5 minutes is a really long time to keep someone's attention unless they are really into what you are saying.

I find that short 2-3 minute videos tend to be the best, although I do have some tutorials that are a bit longer.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

jabujohn1
Trust:
If you're planning on using youtube videos, make sure they don't have another web address or link displaying at the beginning or end. Otherwise, this may lead them away from your site sooner than you had hoped.
samb
Trust:
If you are using a pen name for a site do you alter how you make your video ie just use slides etc or do you go with yourself on camera knowing that a small percentage will know that the video is actually Rob rather than Frank (Pen Name)???

This topic was started on Jul 06, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.