Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Internet changing and the government jumping in?

cool-curtis
Trust:

Internet changing and the government jumping in?

What is all the talk about the internet changing and the government jumping in? I've seen were some say that google is changing and nothing will be the same.
gemini3rdeye
Trust:
Dont worry too much my friend, stay focussed on what you love to do online, I have not purchased the affilorama program, but the information here is crucial to anyone new to marketing. If you follow the trends, news, gurus, and hype you will find yourself in the same place...but with nothing.

The lessons taught here at affilorama and all the information in the forums are timeless, they are rules that will always apply no matter how much the game changes, just remember to follow your heart.

Of course you will need to tweak here and there, but if your foundation are built on the principles taught here and of passion, love and determination, you are certain to see success.

All the best and keep learning
The mind is everything

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi cool-curtis,

Welcome to Affilorama! :)

They say the only constant thing in this world is change and the internet is more dynamic than ever. Google is constantly changing and tweaking their algorithm so that's nothing new. This time they are focusing on page layouts. This of course, is in favor of a better over-all user experience.

As for the US government, they are intending to pass a bill called SOPA and PIPA which will give them control over websites. You can read this forum thread about it.

Hope that helps. Have a great weekend!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

cool-curtis
Trust:
It took me a while to find the post. This site need tweaking on the navagation. To much info, and its hard to track down where everything is, but all in all it's good info.
essexboyracer
Trust:
The other thing you may want to watch if you run UK based websites is the new EU Privacy Cookie laws which came into effect 25th May 2011. Site owners were given a year to get their house in order, after which the ICO could levy fines of up to £500,000 if their websites were found to be non-compliant.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Thanks for sharing that essexboyracer. I think you mentioned that same information on another part of this forum. There's only a few more months left before that EU Privacy Cookie laws take effect. I'm afraid to say this particular law will make an impact on marketers based in Europe or run sites based there.

Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

essexboyracer
Trust:
I have retro-fitted one site to be compliant already. For anyone who is interested I used the following jquery plugin http://cookies.dev.wolf-software.com/ to get consent from visitors

I managed to get the site down from 7 cookies in total to just 4 GA cookies. This comprised of:

4 x Google Analytics cookies
1 x Session cookie generated by the CMS I am using
1 x Cookie for a jQuery slider
1 x Wordpress comments cookie

Some of the modifications I had to make to the scripts are considered bad practice, as they were modifications to core files, which invariably get copied over when upgrading scripts. Seeming as I know that I have made the modifications I am ok with that. It's a shame that the programs I use aren't aware or prepared to amend their scripts to ensure compliance. I will do a write up of the process and files needed to be changed on my blog in time.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
SEO is ALWAYS changing. SEO today isn't the same as it was LAST WEEK. that is nothing new. Google changes their algorithm over 500 times a year. Most of what SEO's teach are theory based on what they think is happening as they analyze their results. Nobody outside of Google actually knows what is going on with search.

The reason Governments are getting involved is because of large numbers of complaints due to bad practices. If people were to use good business ethics and stop scamming people and stealing, Governments wouldn't have to get involved.

Sadly, people are greedy, self serving, and care more about themselves than their customers. Luckily people like Mark and the Afilorama staff are here to help us stay on top of the changes that are coming out. They work hard to stay up to date with the latest trends and technology. After 3 years online, this is still one of my first stops for news and updates because mark and the staff have always been really great at keeping down the hype and fear mongering that a lot of others use to force you to buy their latest product.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

This topic was started on Jan 20, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.