Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Indexing of photographs

olea.nel
Trust:

Indexing of photographs

Hi
My new website went live about a month ago. It's an information site in a highly competitive niche with hundreds of sites that contain plenty of back links ahead of it. It's indexed by Google, but my various pages can only be found on page 8, 6 and 5 for certain keywords, with the rest still out there in the Google universe.

To get some help, I contacted an SEO firm here in Australia that promises to get one's site to page 1 or your money back. (I know, I know. Not a good idea, but I did it anyway, just to see what they would say.) Their verdict came back: IMPOSSIBLE! At least they were honest on that score. Just to fill you in, my site is scoring 81/100 for keywords but I have no back links or social engagement to speak of. Nor do I have a twitter account. I've been too busy completing a book I'm writing.

Then about three days ago, I started to rank at number 3 and 4 on Bing for most of my pages. At the same time I found that Google had indexed all five of the photographs on my ABOUT page along with my website banner. The descriptions behind these photographs included the 'impossible' keywords that the Australian SEO company had flagged. While these photographs were only featured on page 3 for the highly competitive keywords in my niche, I nevertheless found my site hobnobbing with other sites that had thousands of back links. I also found that each of my photographs clicked through to my website.

My question is this: Should I be putting more effort into including relevant and unique photographs on my website for this particular niche--that is besides gathering back links and improving my website in other ways? It's obvious that Google seems to like these photographs.
ecommerce-services
Trust:
HI
If you have good content along with image it is good as people like images, but for search engines to recognize the image you have to but the image name as the page related keyword, use alt tag by descriptive keyword. In other words image must be optimised with correction image name and alt tags.

ketusoftware.com
olea.nel
Trust:
You're absolutely right! Fortunately I read about alt tags in one of the lessons and began to optimize all my photographs. As soon as I had done that, I started to get results immediately. The same held for meta tags. Even though my site is only a month old, I'm now on page 1 for both Yahoo and Bing, and still on page 3 for Google. Hopefully, as soon as i start obtaining back links, I'll move up.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Should I be putting more effort into including relevant and unique photographs on my website for this particular niche--that is besides gathering back links and improving my website in other ways?

It depends on what your site is about, and what sort of people you're wanting to target.

I use Google image search for pretty much two reasons:

1) To see what a famous person looks like when some news article is talking about the cosmetic surgery they've supposedly had.

2) When something is wrong with my garden, and I know what the problem looks like, but I have no idea what the problem actually is. (Eg, "zucchini leaves yellow dry")

In the first instance, I have absolutely no interest in what is on the website that features the image. I don't even click through to the website. I'm just using image search to look at images. For these sites, getting their images into image search isn't very useful if they're just attracting people like me.

In the second instance I will actually click through to a website if I see a picture that looks like what's wrong with my zucchini. I will read the website. I might bookmark the website. Heck I might even share it on Facebook with some kind of zucchini lament. So for this website, getting their image into image search *is* a useful way to get traffic.

So the first question is... Are people actually going to be looking for the information you're offering by doing an image search?

If you have a website discussing small business tax, your audience isn't going to be using image search. Ranking highly in image search won't really help you.

If you're selling knitting patterns, they might be using image search, and you might be able to attract visitors this way.

If the best way for your audience to find the information they're looking for is to look at a bunch of pictures... then you definitely want to get into the image search results.

But I don't believe that getting a higher ranking in image search necessarily translates into better rankings in normal search.

If you're seeing improved results in the search engines, it could just be them doing their "thing". I have a site that I put up five months ago, and it's steadily rising in the Google rankings for certain keywords, with hardly any backlinks. Nothing has changed, but it still rises for some keywords, and drops for others.

Your site has only been up a month, so it's still just a little baby website. It'll probably go up and down and up and down for a while yet. These initial fluctuations aren't always the result of anything you're doing, particularly if you're not doing anything!

But definitely keep up with the alt tags and all that other on-page SEO stuff, because it doesn't take much effort and it can help. Often people are too lazy to do that, so it can be an easy way for you to score points. And you never know when someone might find your site that way.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

This topic was started on Apr 12, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.