Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Im Confused about a Website that is Linking to my Site

nates450r
Trust:

Im Confused about a Website that is Linking to my Site

i track my stats daily and every few days i get this url http://buyaccupril.info/TOPSITES linking to my website so i clicked the url and the website looks like a bunch of ads or somthing.

i have no idea what the heck (that) website is about but at the bottom
of the left hand column it says ((Randomly selected from Alexa Data.)

now the only thing i have done remotely related to this website is i register my website on Alexa

so any ideas?
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Jan 10 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title

wollowra
Trust:
Basically this looks like a site that takes websites off Alexa and displays them.
It is basically a spammy type of site with no real value but to advertise what they are advertising.
It actually looks like a link farm, sort of.
Have you done any link building with automated services as they can put your link on these type of sites.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

nates450r
Trust:
um, i have not really done any automated link building stuff- i do more (real) person link building. oh well its not a big deal any way i just thought that website looked a little funny thats all.
PremiumMember
dollofagrl
Trust:
I've been getting that also for the past week, but it's found my other sites as well. Pretty creepy. I have no idea how they found my sites. I have been link building on one by one.

Liz
mersey
Trust:
Me to. Any way we can block this site?

Can a site such as this use up your bandwidth? I have received notication my site is running out, but not sure, if this is because of this site or because I have received more hits than usual.
ewisely
Trust:
I encountered that too but just a few tens of clickthru's from that spammy site, doesn't really affect my traffic stats much. But if it gets to about 1 - 5% of my traffic volume, then I'll probably report this site to Google and let them kick this site's butt. Of course, you can do it now.

Anyway, thus far I don't see the "mysterious" traffic coming from that site adding any value to my business other than inflating my hits.

Soon Chai
http://www.DieHardWebHosting.com - web hosting tips and tricks

buckdat
Trust:
I was googling for this topic and I came across this post. Yea, even I have been receiving backlinks from such strange sites. Mostly sites from phillipenes or suming.
www.buckdat.com Adwords Extraordinaire!

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
[url][/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referrer_spam

It doesn't hurt your site, it won't suck your bandwidth. Worst it does is get you all excited that people are visiting your site when they're not :)

Not much you can do about it. Don't follow the advice in that article... they're talking about when you've got private stuff being publicised by this kind of spamming. You don't want to "noindex, nofollow" your pages!
Last edited by sydney on 04 Apr 11 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 404 link fixed

Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

tdigitty
Trust:
@Aletta - I have heard that google will "knock you down" if you have too many links coming from bad sites (link farms). I have heard stories (not knowing if they are real or not, but no reason to believe they are false) that people have had to scrap their sites because too many low-quality sites were linking to them and google penalized them for it.

Have you heard, or experienced such a thing?

Anyway, you would think that you could add a blacklist to your robot.txt file that would tell google that you don't authorize certain sites to link to you. Since it would be difficult to get the site owner to remove the link from their site.

This topic was started on Jan 25, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.