Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

I just wasted a month on a keyword with no traffic

frankvue
Trust:

I just wasted a month on a keyword with no traffic

I'm laughing at myself and banging my head against the wall at the same time.

While doing keyword research I came upon a keyword with a search volume of 20,000 per month with almost 0 competition. I promptly made a post optimized for the keyword and started creating backlinks like mad. After a month, I popped up as number one. With a huge smile on my face I went to check my traffic with analytics. No visitors... what the heck. I went back to the google keyword tool and entered in the keyword, it popped up 20,000 stil. Then I came to a realization... this is set to BROAD search. I promptly unclick broad and clicked on phrase. Results went down to 14 searches a month.

Moral of the story: Uncheck broad match.
wollowra
Trust:
I would still keep your eye on this though.
Google keyword tool has been shown to not give 100% accurate results anyway..so the numbers may be higher than 14.
Also, I would pop in some related keywords in the article...good for SEO.
Also, use some text hyperlinks to link to other related articles on the site.

Overall, I would say it is not a total loss and you learnt something and so did we.

Troy :)
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

kurt
Trust:
I never thought to search my keywords as a phrase, but after seeing this post I went and checked them. I have about four keyword phrases that are very low. Two at about 20 searches a month, one around 150, and one around 450. Hmm, I wonder if this is going to be a problem.
I thought Mark Ling teaches you to do a broad search of your keywords - I wonder why? Maybe that's because not everyone searches your keywords as a phrase and you still want to qualify for those who don't.
You're suppose to make sure that most of your keyword phrases are getting at least 1,500 searches a month (broad search), but what about "phrase search"? Any recommendations on that? Clearly it is important as Frank just showed. I'm gonna guess that my two that are getting 20 searches a month (phrase search) are not worth messing with either. Glad I haven't written those yet. But, what about my other two low ones?
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Kurt,

I have found Google keyword tool to be inaccurate at times and I do not take it as 100% 'set in concrete' figures.
Mark says to get at least 30 keywords that you can use on your site.
Now not every one of these is going to be a gold keyword or phrase and only 1 QTR of them may rank.
However, you are building a site based on a niche or topic.
Even though there may be only 300 searches a month, in my opinion it does not matter.
These low searched keywords or phrases just add to the site and bulk it up. It is also good for SEO and ranking and makes for a better user experience.

Not every keyword or phrase will be profitable but even if one of these keywords/phrases gets you 1 sale a month or every 2 months, then it is worth it in the grand scheme of things.
Of course the buying keywords (people are searching for a term with the intention to buy) will always be better for your site, but it still does not hurt to bulk up your site with lesser profitable keywords or phrases especially if they are highly related to your sites niche topic.

Of course you always go for the best keywords and phrases that you can find first...but even if you write an article and find out that the keyword phrase is terrible in regards to monthly search volume..it is still a useful article that people will enjoy reading and may help them to find and read other pages on your site.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:
I think it would be a great idea if Mark Ling could give a clear demonstration on this (broad/phrase/exact) with a blog post here in Affilorama.

I have seen a lot of confusion about it here on the forum.

Many training courses teach broad Match while others teach phrase or exact!

MarkLing wrote:
I dont think you need to be too worried about people searching for exact phrases - the majority of people search without using the quotes so "weight training at home" is just as likely to rank when someone searches for it without the at. When using the Keyword Tool its better to use Broad matching rather than Exact as that will skew your results

Im still confused...
PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Everything above sounds about right. Personally I've found "exact" to be the best but like it has been said above, it's no where near accurate so treat it as an estimate.
Also, learn from your mistakes, nothing is ever done for no reason. You did this now, so you never make the same mistake again.
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

kurt
Trust:
Thanks guys.
Troy said, "even though there may be only 300 searches a month it's okay". I think he's talking about 300 on a "phrase" search (not broad). Is there a cut off point though when doing a phrase search on your keywords? Because two of my keyword phrases had around 20 searches a month (phrase search). And, one had about 150 a month. That's a lot lower than 300 hundred, so I'm not sure if they would be worth my time. Would you write articles for ones that were that low?
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
I wouldn't write off that keyword just yet.

Sure, exact match will tell you the number of people searching for that exact phrase, but over the long run, as your site gains more authority, you will start to rank for phrase match searches and then broad match searches.

As long as your keyword is somewhat targeted, the phrase match and broad match searches should also send you targeted visitors too.

I get traffic from all kinds of keywords that I've never even tried to rank for. Some of them get high search volume too.

Here's a video that explains a bit more.

http://www.noblesamurai.com/dojo/market ... -type-data

Basically, exact match is best for estimating short-term results, phrase match for mid-term, and broad match for the long term.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

chris72
Trust:
Damn, Clayton stole my thunder .....
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:
Great Clayton, thank you.

The only problem I see with broad match data is that Im getting a lot of low quality traffic.
People come to my site and leave almost immediately because they just arrived to the site using some strange keywords (but still related to my niche).

Are broad match phreses/keywords converting well for you?
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
@chris72, sorry about that :)

@strongfarmer, I think if you get a broad match phrase that is targeted, you should still get good conversions.

"stop dog biting" as an example, would send you visitors for phrases like "stop my dog from biting my child," "stop a dog from biting other dogs," or "stop my dog from biting my furniture" which would probably all be relevant to your article. Pretty much any variation of that phrase would be relevant.

However, "German Shepard" isn't targeted enough and you might get traffic for "German Shepard health problem," "German Shepard pictures," or "buy a German Shepard" and probably many of those searches would not be the kind of visitors you want.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

wollowra
Trust:
Kurt wrote:I never thought to search my keywords as a phrase, but after seeing this post I went and checked them. I have about four keyword phrases that are very low. Two at about 20 searches a month, one around 150, and one around 450. Hmm, I wonder if this is going to be a problem.
I thought Mark Ling teaches you to do a broad search of your keywords - I wonder why? Maybe that's because not everyone searches your keywords as a phrase and you still want to qualify for those who don't.
You're suppose to make sure that most of your keyword phrases are getting at least 1,500 searches a month (broad search), but what about "phrase search"? Any recommendations on that? Clearly it is important as Frank just showed. I'm gonna guess that my two that are getting 20 searches a month (phrase search) are not worth messing with either. Glad I haven't written those yet. But, what about my other two low ones?

Hi Kurt,
I honestly think people get too fixated on the numbers.
Like I said, in my opinion I go for anything above 250 - 300 phrase matches, but that is just me.
I may even go for less than that just to get articles written to bulk up my site and so I can have an article that I can place links in to the other more important articles on my site that gets heaps more searches/visits.

Like Clayton said " As long as your keyword is somewhat targeted, the phrase match and broad match searches should also send you targeted visitors too.
I get traffic from all kinds of keywords that I've never even tried to rank for. Some of them get high search volume too."

Also, I think we should also be looking at how competitive the niche is as well.
You may have heaps of keywords etc..to put on your site...but if you do your research and find out what your competition is doing and they have a 6 year old site with 5000 high PR backlinks..you may want to look elsewhere if you are just starting out, unless you are in it for the long haul and can see some good profit in it.
EG: weight loss

By the way Clayton, that video from Market Samurai is totally awesome dude... explains things very clearly, thanks for posting it.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
cterao wrote:"stop dog biting" as an example, would send you visitors for phrases like "stop my dog from biting my child," "stop a dog from biting other dogs," or "stop my dog from biting my furniture" which would probably all be relevant to your article. Pretty much any variation of that phrase would be relevant.

However, "German Shepard" isn't targeted enough and you might get traffic for "German Shepard health problem," "German Shepard pictures," or "buy a German Shepard" and probably many of those searches would not be the kind of visitors you want.

Couldn't have said it any better.
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

This topic was started on Jul 31, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.