Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

I did my first website!!!

lcortezbarcelo
Trust:

I did my first website!!!

Hi, i am a newby and i did my first website and i am so excited!!! what do you think? i accept any critics, i would love them so i can improve my page. Here it is:

www.bestprogramsbetterlifestyle.com

Kind regards
Almendra (azulita10)
Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
Hi Almendra,

Congratulations for putting up your first website! :)

The first thought when I viewed your website is that you lack graphics. Like for example, you do not have the header.

It is important for a website to have the header section because this defines not only a good-looking website but also for Google, this is one of the needed requirements to define a quality and working website.

Also, you lack pictures for your articles. By adding graphics and pictures in your pages, you also make your website presentable and this can help attract visitors.

Also, your website lack navigation. Like for example, you do not have the top menu. The top menu can help visitors quickly switch pages. And adding a top menu also helps in your SEO.

As for your on-page SEO, I don't notice any keywords highlighted in your content. Make sure you also link your keywords to niche websites, affiliate websites, and also to the most important pages in your website. By doing this, you help maximize the number of click-throughs in your website and at the same time your pages can quickly be indexed by search engines.

I hope that helps.

Mary
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

har444har
Trust:
Congratulations!, as the site looks very beautiful and professional.
esolutions
Trust:
Hi Almendra,

The header needs work, don't use an image with a watermark and also try to span it across the entire width so that there are not cut off lines. Fixing that will improve things a lot.

Second, work on the color of the sidebar. You can use this tool to get colors that work well together: http://colorschemedesigner.com

Also work on the formatting of the content using headlines, subheadlines, bullet points, pictures, etc. to break it up and look cleaner.

Will you be integrating an opt in box?
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
I agree with the above critiques. Also, much wider left and right text margins would look more professional. You need more clean white space. The easiest way to do that is to modify the CSS style sheet.

My recommendation is http://www.Dreamstime.com for excellent stock photos to add to you pages, to break up all that text - as Mary suggested.

Hope this helps....
_jim coe
lcortezbarcelo
Trust:
Hi!!! Thank you so much for your advices. I know i need to improved my page. Is kind of overwhelming but i know i can do it!!.
im going to work especially on the areas that you just had told me.

Greetings!!!!!!
lcortezbarcelo
Trust:
Hi, i would like to know what is a CSS, i am using xsipro, is in there? how can i find it? Because i dont know how to make my white pages cleaner.

Thank you and Kind regards!!!
rhena07_rhenrhen
Trust:
hi, try also the the dreamweaver in creating your website.. CSS is in there.. Once you established the positioning of your image, that image will remain in the same position on your page, even if a visitor scrolls further up or down the page.

hope it can help you.. :)
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Website Coding:
Today's websites usually consist of 3 or 4 types of code. The basic markup tags are HTML (Hypertext Markup Language). In Wordpress, you can see the HTML markup tags in the editor's "HTML" view tab.

But there is also CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). In a static website, CSS is used in the header of any page and/or in a separate page called a "Style Sheet", with filename extension ".css".

Then there is JavaScript for special programming functions, like slide shows, or menu systems and a lot more. And last, there may be PHP code to integrate the website pages with data stored in a database.

WordPress is a CMS (Content Management System) using a MySQL database. So it has all of the 4 types of code.

Learn a Little Code:
You will be a better marketer and website/blog builder if you learn at least some HTML and CSS. I've used those daily for years, and databases too. But I'm still learning PHP.

If you're code illiterate, you'll be forced to use everything with the built-in default settings - which are far from perfect in most WordPress themes. And there will be things you want to do but can't. And things that need fixing, but you won't know how. Coding brings those abilities - and loads more creative power.

You'll not have enough control to make your sites or blogs look professional - even simple things like controlling the margin widths, without some coding knowledge. As you can tell, I think only knowing marketing is not enough. Of course you can hire code experts - if you have the budget. But I'm a big believer in knowing all you can - even if it's just to make you better at managing the work of others.

My advice is to buy a good book on HTML and one on CSS. Neither of them are difficult and both use English-like tags. And there is a huge amount of code help online. Simply do a Google search on any code snippet you don't understand.

CSS Margin Width:
For example to set your margins you might use this line of CSS:
Code: Select all
margin: 0 20px 0 40px;

That sets the 4 margins (clockwise from the top) to:
Top margin = 0px (leaves it at whatever the default is, or sets it to zero)
Right margin = 20 pixels
Bottom margin = 0px
Left margin = 40px (then you indent paragraphs more from there, where you want).

After setting this, you simply look at the post or page in a browser, as your audience sees it. If you don't like the results, it takes only seconds to adjust those numbers to your liking and save the file again for another look.

Besides "margins", sometimes you need to modify "Padding".

The trick is knowing where to put this line of CSS. It belongs in your style sheet in a certain location, probably in a section labeled "Paragraph", or "Posts" or "Pages" defining the paragraph styles of your posts and/or your pages.

CSS Editing in WordPress:
In the WordPress dashboard, you can find the style sheet in "Appearance > Edit > style.css" or some similar .css filename, depending on what the theme author named it.

I recommend the "Advanced Code Editor" plugin for WordPress. It's very good and the built-in CSS editor (without the plugin) is very weak. The plugin numbers lines, does searches, uses colors for the codes and a lot more. It's a "must have" for editing code.

It's such a shame that the HTML editor in WordPress is so pathetic - not even line numbers. Sometimes I have to copy and paste HTML for WordPress into Adobe Dreamweaver to create tables or other stuff that are too difficult in WordPress editor - then paste it back into WordPress - that's how bad the WordPress editor is.

Happily the editor gets a bit better with each new version of WordPress. Not many versions ago it was unusable. And there are more editor enhancing plugins available all the time.

And don't even get me started on how WordPress messes with your HTML code once you pop back into the editor's "View" tab from "HTML" view! There are plugins to tame that bad behavior, but I haven't tried them because I don't have time to re-write all my posts and pages. I think next time I start a WordPress blog, I'll use that plugin and do all my HTML manually, instead of letting WordPress mess it up.

Hope this helps... (it helped me let off some steam anyway)
_jim coe
jcayetano1
Trust:
Fine so far. The template used and the color scheme is fine. But for a clickbank product, it is a little short. A quick recommendation I can make is that you need "call to actions". You have "Truth About Abs" hyperlinked, but really you should hyperlink the phrase, "To get Tighter Abs, click here". "To Shrink Your Waist in 2 weeks, Click Here."

Entice the user to click your link. Other things, don't forget about bullet points and letting the user know about "ease of use" and "how quick" results come.
Joe Cayetano
Wpromote - Affiliate Marketing Manager
Go SEO | Quicklist | Social Boost

easyrider
Trust:
There is almost zero content above the fold!!! How do you expect to draw people into reading your articles when it is like this?

You also need to hide your affiliate links with redirects because they currently look like they might give you (the reader) a virus!
Greg

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Getting better, but I agree with Greg.
Also:
The text "Click Here!" means just that. It doesn't mean "Click on the book picture below here". Yet the text is not a link.

Your images are all too large. That's a big part of why so much of your content is pushed below the fold.

The book boxshot shows that it's called "The Truth About 6 Pack Abs", yet you always refer to it as "The Truth About Abs". Also the capitalization in the headline is wrong and you have no italics or apostrophes or anything else to indicate that it's a book title. Both those things make it confusing.

Your sub-pages all show an HTML code at the top - probably a missing ">" in your code or some such.
Your site title should also be a link to your home page - this is a standard "best practice". There is no navigation link to get back to the home page from any sub-page that I looked at.

I ran a page load speed test at http://www.Pingdom.com and you're under 1 second. That's great!

Hope this helps...
_jim coe
oliviabest
Trust:
Check your website in W3C Validator. You have a lot of errors. Website isn't very bad for newby. I wish you success!
lcortezbarcelo
Trust:
Hi, thank you all of you for your critics and advices, im going to make some changes!!
lcortezbarcelo
Trust:
Hi, i have a new website

www.makemoneyonlinewithinternetmarketing.com

This topic was started on Jul 29, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.