Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

I am so confused now... about duplicate content

frankvue
Trust:

I am so confused now... about duplicate content

I just came across this post and I don't know what to do.

http://anne-pottinger.com/article-marke ... d-for-all/

Then go check this article out for more info:

http://www.warriorforum.com/main-intern ... ssary.html

The gist of it all is that when it comes to getting backlinks via article marketing (what some of us do for high search engine rankings), the article DOES NOT need to be original.

If this is all true then I can lay my spinning software to rest and just crank out 5 or so high quality articles per day and get more backlinks instead of wasting 2 hours or so pulling out my hair trying to come up with another version of a sentence I've written 5 times already.

PLEASE READ and tell me if you agree and maybe make all our lives easier.
chris72
Trust:
Ah, the age old dilemma to spin or use duplicate content.....

Personally I keep the unique content for my site and send the same content wherever I can. Many article directories and submission networks have now banned content that is less than at least 80% unique, so it is less about what Google wants and more about what the article directories want.

I recently did a Google search and 5 of the first page were all the same article, on different authority sites, so who knows?

I would concentrate on making sure that the content that you put out is good quality and that the links that you are getting are from good quality, relevant sites.
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

frankvue
Trust:
According to the articles I referenced, when ezinearticles say they want unique articles, that means they want an article that hasn't been posted somewhere else under a DIFFERENT NAME.

So if you wrote the article, you can post the same article to however many directories UNCHANGED and it will be accepted. Including ezinearticles. It is further explained that the backlinks you get from these articles have the same link juice as articles that were spun.

So the bottom line is, if you're writing articles for backlinking purposes, you don't need to spin them as they'll be accepted AS IS as long as you're the one who wrote it.

I'm going to give this a shot and see if my rankings change.
frankvue
Trust:
Am I the only one's freaking excited about this? LOL
beldin
Trust:
I have tested both methods (submitted unspun content and spun content to article directories) and found no difference in the results. My experiment was using AMR so I can't comment on how the "big" article directories will deal with this, although I have submitted exact copies to many of them and had them all approved...

For the best results, I would suggest attacking it in this way: write two article for each page of your site. Use one as the actual site content and use the second to submit to directories.

Although you CAN use the article from your site, I'll suggest a few reasons why you may not want to.

First, it will keep the content of your site unique longer. Why is this important? Well, as per my experience, it's not because of the "unique content penalty". Anyone can come along and scrape your content any time they like. But keeping your money site unique in this way will help make sure it is fresh content for your readers. If they are searching for something and see the same content over and over again, well... I think we have all been there and felt the frustration. Finding your site, with a "fresh perspective" on the topic will be... well, refreshing! Which will keep them interested longer and potentially, those who linger might be more likely to click on your product links.

Second, by having different content submitted to the directories you have a better chance at having them appear higher in the search engine results. As far as "duplicate content penalty", from what I've seen, the only penalty you get is not having all the content you have posted to the directories returned high in the results. The engines will still list them way down in the results but remove any that seem similar. If your site is completely different than the submitted content (read that as not just spun from the original), you potentially have more results for the user to find you by.

Finally, the search engines will continue to evolve and work towards one goal... to give the customer (those searching for the terms we are trying to rank) the best experience they can get. By focusing on keeping your site as high a quality as you can, you are setting yourself up for long term results. Instead of rewriting your sites content 3 times or more to get "unique content", spend your time making high-quality pages for your site, and then write shorter articles (if you don't like writing) to submit to the directories for your backlinking.
Stephen

frankvue
Trust:
Thanks for the excellent tips. I'll be sure to implement them.
lyndaj
Trust:
Well I for one have to thank you Frank for bringing up this subject.

I like to think I have a very open mind but so far Ive just just followed along with what the majority of marketers believe, and do, and just skimmed over the subject of dupe content etc. Im busy and rarely have time to spare, but Im so glad I took the time yesterday to stop and read through that thread, which I did very thoroughly and very carefully, and the others recommended by Alexa. It was a real eye opener!

Thanks again!

Lynda
kurt
Trust:
How could this whole concept of "duplicate content penalty" be a myth with the so many people teaching it? I don't see how people could just now be realizing that there was nothing to it all along. Does that mean that for years people have been rewriting or spinning their articles when they didn't really have to do either? When I've been taught something like this by people with experience who supposedly know what they're talking about, and then I hear that they were actually wrong, I'm not sure whether to believe it or not.

Can we really sumit the same article unchanged to different article directories and summision sites without a problem, and the results be just as effective? I'm not sure what to believe now. I for one would like to see some more experienced people comment on this. I'm a newbie and I've just written my first four articles for my site and I don't want to have to do anymore rewrites then necessary. Although I think what Beldin said about writing two of each article sounds like a good idea. So that you can keep your site fresh with one of them and send the other article to directories.
beldin
Trust:
I once heard someone talk about duplicate content in this way:

If you could be penalized for duplicate content, then why not just grab the content from your competition sites and post it all over the net... would the result not then have to be that their site would get penalized?

Does that even make sense? How can you be penalized for something that is outside of your control? Anyone can come along and grab your content from your site and copy it, just as they can take content from any article directory and copy it directly to their site.. that's what the directories are for.

The search engines want to return the best result for the search term, they use a variety of things to determine this, but I generally don't see any of the distributed articles I post showing up in the results, yet my site does. When I check for backlinks, the articles I have submitted show as links to my site. Sometimes the submitted articles will show up briefly, especially on the "better" sites, but if you do nothing to keep them there (like backlinking), they move out of the results.

If you are confused or concerned about it then by all means spin your articles. The algorithms the engines use always change as they try and weed out this type of marketing from the results so you never know how things will change down the road.
Stephen

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Kurt, the reason why these myths get started and pushed around is simple ; IT MAKES PEOPLE TONS OF MONEY!!!

there are loads of people out there who dont' care that they are lying to people as long as they make a buck. most of the "facts" about IM that you read all the time are myths that were started to make a product convert to sales.

According to Google, there is no penalty per say, but they will try not to rank multiple copies of the same content for the same keyword. If your site has a high amount of duplicated articles (reposting the same article multiple times to target different keywords) Google will see that as fishy.

Also, when they are looking at content, they generally try to rank the one that was INDEXED first as the original and thus a higher chance to rank, so stealing your competitions articles wouldn't really work if they are already indexed.

The main reason that I like spinning is because I can reuse that same content. I will use it to syndicate to directories, add a unique version to my email list, use it in an ebook or Power point presentation, etc.... each place I use it will get the same information, but rewritten to look original.

Personally, I don't go for massive spinning though. I rewrite each sentence 3 times with 2 word or phrase spins in each sentence.
Using Rapid Rewriter, I also like using the optional sentence function to add a aditional uniqueness.

Spinning is less about SEO (it doesn't matter there) and more about the sites you are posting on, and the user experience
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

This topic was started on Jul 25, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.