Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

How to Research For And Ebook Topic

gregc2001
Trust:

How to Research For And Ebook Topic

Hello all I am thinking about writing my first Ebook but I have a having a small problem on how to research for a topic for and ebook and how to start it out . Does anybody have any tips or suggestions on how to do this thanks ?
pbyservices
Trust:
Have you chosen a topic yet? Any idea of what field/niche?
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
I write and self-publish ebooks. You can learn from my mistake on my first ebook. I tried to "fill a need and find it".

That is, I wrote on a topic I love (which is good), but without having a niche market with problems I was solving all researched out and verified. After self-publishing, I them turned to marketing. As it turned out, the obvious market niche was one with little money to spend and one that needed to be educated that they even had a problem.

My ebook was very well received by my readers, so I got good testimonials and word-of-mouth and things turned out better than they might have. And I was able to sell it through certain portal online stores. So, it was profitable - but it took more years to be so than it should have.

So be sure to balance finding an excellent and profitable market niche with finding a topic you are passionate about. "Find a need, then fill it." And there is no such thing as too much market research in front.

Everybody talks about the importance of knowing your audience and writing for them. But few stress just how intimately close to their thinking and feelings you must get to do effective ebook publishing and marketing.

ebook writing and publishing is a long-term endeavor, with lots of hard work involved, so you need passion for your subject, to stay motivated and resist discouragement.

Affilorama has lots of excellent free advice on market research. If you also get a premium membership, you'll find even more, plus useful tools. And buying the Affiloblueprint course will provide even more excellent training. Even though Affiloblueprint is about affiliate marketing, I'm applying what I'm learning in that new course to my ebook marketing and to learning how best to work with affiliates as a vendor. And I do some affiliate marketing as well.

Not saying the staff here would recommend Affiloblueprint to people whose main interest is not affiliate marketing - that's just my personal approach because I have so much respect for Mark Ling's teaching abilities.

Speaking of sales affiliates, they are important to promoting your ebook. And that's another reason to do good market research in front of writing and publishing your ebook - to be sure there's a ready market. You see, the best affiliates won't promote your book for you unless you can prove to them that it actually sells, by generating a convincing number of sales yourself first. So, don't count on affiliates to get your ebook off the ground, if it doesn't have a good sales history and a good Sales Conversion Rate.

There are other good free forums for marketers and market research methods too.

Hope this helps...
_jim coe
gregc2001
Trust:
pbyservices wrote:Have you chosen a topic yet? Any idea of what field/niche?

I have already chosen my topic and idea with the niche also.I am really enjoy about reading about business and learning about business so I thought I would right and ebook on business
gregc2001
Trust:
jimcoe wrote:I write and self-publish ebooks. You can learn from my mistake on my first ebook. I tried to "fill a need and find it".

That is, I wrote on a topic I love (which is good), but without having a niche market with problems I was solving all researched out and verified. After self-publishing, I them turned to marketing. As it turned out, the obvious market niche was one with little money to spend and one that needed to be educated that they even had a problem.

My ebook was very well received by my readers, so I got good testimonials and word-of-mouth and things turned out better than they might have. And I was able to sell it through certain portal online stores. So, it was profitable - but it took more years to be so than it should have.

So be sure to balance finding an excellent and profitable market niche with finding a topic you are passionate about. "Find a need, then fill it." And there is no such thing as too much market research in front.

Everybody talks about the importance of knowing your audience and writing for them. But few stress just how intimately close to their thinking and feelings you must get to do effective ebook publishing and marketing.

ebook writing and publishing is a long-term endeavor, with lots of hard work involved, so you need passion for your subject, to stay motivated and resist discouragement.

Affilorama has lots of excellent free advice on market research. If you also get a premium membership, you'll find even more, plus useful tools. And buying the Affiloblueprint course will provide even more excellent training. Even though Affiloblueprint is about affiliate marketing, I'm applying what I'm learning in that new course to my ebook marketing and to learning how best to work with affiliates as a vendor. And I do some affiliate marketing as well.

Not saying the staff here would recommend Affiloblueprint to people whose main interest is not affiliate marketing - that's just my personal approach because I have so much respect for Mark Ling's teaching abilities.

Speaking of sales affiliates, they are important to promoting your ebook. And that's another reason to do good market research in front of writing and publishing your ebook - to be sure there's a ready market. You see, the best affiliates won't promote your book for you unless you can prove to them that it actually sells, by generating a convincing number of sales yourself first. So, don't count on affiliates to get your ebook off the ground, if it doesn't have a good sales history and a good Sales Conversion Rate.

There are other good free forums for marketers and market research methods too.

Hope this helps...
_jim coe

Thanks jimcoe This helps alot
Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
It is always a good start finding a niche/topic that you like most. However, even though you feel that you are good at it, it is also important that you still "master" and learn things about it as well.

Thus, writing about what you like most and also constant learning will help you create an ebook that is worth-reading about.

Good luck!
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Very true Mary.
An "open secret" among we teachers is that teaching is one of the very best ways to learn.

Writing a thorough and well researched ebook will help you to learn all about a topic, see how all the pieces fit together into "the big picture", re-think your past conclusions, prejudices and assumptions and become expert.

If it doesn't do all that (and more), I don't think you can say that you did a good job.

Cheers!
_jim coe

This topic was started on Jun 04, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.