Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

How much do people charge for SEO?

PremiumMember
dmward50
Trust:

How much do people charge for SEO?

Here's my brief story. I work in a lawfirm- well- I work for three lawfirms and two associated businesses (trust lawyers to make it complicated). Since I came to work here, they've been trying to update their technology. These are the kinds of attorneys who would burn $100 bills to start a campfire if they thought it would burn better than a fire starter.

Well- I got frustrated after they hired some... I'll be polite... "less than brilliant" individual to teach them to use twitter. The guy didn't know how to turn on a PC because he uses macs and had no idea what I was referring to when I used the term "PHP redirect." He walked out of there with $9000 for a completely useless three hour training.

Regardless, I sat down that day and thought through how much they were paying for web advertising (for three crappy websites) and came to the conclusion that WITHOUT special events such as crappy trainings, they were paying between 15 and 20k/month. In my frustration, I failed to think of something- I can do this. My wife pointed it out to me- she suggested I propose to them that I take it all over and charge them a mint for it, but less of a mint than they're paying now. After all, I can build websites, I can do web 2.0, I can do SEO, and I've been gathering the right tools to do so for months now.

Well- I spoke with our office manager and marketing manager and discovered that they're into the idea of hiring me- but I need a proposal by Monday. What is a reasonable price to charge for on the side freelance work like this? I will likely be redesigning a website- maybe two or three, building blogs, doing some content editing, and doing SEO. I was thinking of starting out at a 2k/month proposal- or possibly saying 1k for SEO and then $100/hr on the others and we can re-evaluate in a month or two.

What have other people done- what is a reasonable proposal?
wollowra
Trust:
wow, If they were paying 20k a mth.. I would be charging them the same to do an even better job than the last guy.
Hey, if you don't want the job and you change your mind, please steer them my way.. lol.
Or I can give you a hand with it.
For 20k a mth.. they would have the best sites and seo out there...lol
and PPC as well.

Anyway, I think you could start at 5k trial to say the least.. if they are now spending 20k for a lesser service.
Then put to them that if you provide a good service and gets good results, your fee goes to 10k.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
pasquan
Trust:
Wow what an opportunity you have.

If you can do all you say then you need to value your services.

You know how much they are prepared to pay for a guy to do a less than great 3 hour training ...9K. Professionals are prepared to pay as you say and if you don't value your services then they won't either. If you offer them something for 2k their perception will be " must be crap nah stick with the pros". You will also find it difficult to raise your price once they accept it if it is too low.

Do a breakdown of what they are paying for now and if it comes in at 20k and offer to do it for half say 10k. Tell them that you will also conduct staff briefings/trainings as part of the package, oversee updating of blogs etc etc ...give them something as a bonus but cost into your proposal what it would be to bring in "so called experts eg your 9k friend) over the year so they see it as getting value, not just something for nothing. this will also make your monthly figure of say 10k even more attractive to them.

Best of luck
Mark
jpastorizo
Trust:
Hey dmward50,

Maybe you need some assistance on the SEO and Link Building stuff. If you do, please do let me know. Check out my site (http://www.pastorizo.com) I created and launched this past weekend.
Thanks.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

wollowra
Trust:
Get in line Renato, he he..lmao

T
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
dmward50
Trust:
I really pretty much agree. I was almost personally insulated at the stupidity of this twitter training and then really peaved when I realized that he made measurable portion of my annual salary doing it. I just couldn't stand by and watch. Then I looked at the website and realized just how badly optimized it is and how all they do is keyword stuff. I ran across one page that only started describing what the page was about some 200 words in- because they were trying to get the unrelated keywords ranking. Just what we need- for people to have no idea what we do.

Anyway- here's what I'm thinking. The pure SEO "maintenance" portion of what they pay is 2k/month (this is no major changes- just link checking, keyword optimization, etc). It's all the other stuff that ads up. I'm thinking of asking for a 2k/month retainer to do the same, but with some changes and actual website optimization (i.e. make sure we're optimizing for the right keywords on the right pages). Then I'd ask for $100/hr on top for stuff like writing, web design, and staff training. I think it's probably pretty cheap, but I know the head of the business is a bottom line kind of guy. Do you guys think that's selling myself too short? My consideration is that I'm not a professional in SEO, but I do know what I'm doing and have an inside view of the business since they already employ me. Any thoughts?
cpinkston
Trust:
I think if you know what you are doing then you are a professional in seo. Just because you don't have a piece of paper stating it does no mean it is not true. Every one has to start with their first client and if you choose to take on another one then you have one for a reference and so on. The top person in SEO in the world had to take on his first client before he could build up his business.
jasondodd
Trust:
This is a good example of the real value of AB; I think sometimes students of AB dont actually realize how valueable the skills they're learning are - theyre so focused on the sales but the skills in seo, site building and web 2.0 can be worth just as much!

As for what to charge its hard to say since SEO is difficult to quantify i.e. you can't promise that you'll get them a specific ranking since you don't have control over that, you can only influence it. Some find charging an hourly rate works better but as has been mentioned sometimes a low rate is translated as poor quality (corporate stupidity!). Also be sure to manage expectations of what you can achieve.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

netfitters
Trust:
WOW! I envy you. If these guys are used to throwing their $$$ away and you know you can do a better job, then stick with the 2k initial + $100/hr approach... they can always counter. I'm thinking you may be a little too busy and might need to pass all that work off to someone else... lol. Yeah, the consulting route is looking pretty good to me. Congrats!

This topic was started on Aug 21, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.