Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

How Does Google Feel About Affiliate Links?

PremiumMember
catmar
Trust:

How Does Google Feel About Affiliate Links?

Hi Guys,

I've been out of affiliate marketing for a while due to a family illness and I'm trying to catch up with all the changes.

How does Google look upon affiliate sites these days?

I'm building a local business website for someone who is a tradesman and installs a particular product. He has found affiliate products related to his trade that he can recommend to his customers.

My question is "Would it be harmful when ranking his website to include these affiliate links even if it provides what the customer wants"?

He will have a blog attached to his site which will be kept up to date with information about the product he installs. He plans to blog about all the different products and also provide a link where the customer can buy these products.

I don't want to advise him to do this if it means I can't get him ranked well for his installation service which is the top priority.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Catherine
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Catherine,

No, it will not be harmful to his site and his site's ranking to refer users to the merchant/product sites through affiliate links. I suggest you make the affiliate links no follow, and to make sure that the links you will be referring users to are related to the article they're reading.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

Additionally you should consider using redirects so that the links are not blatantly affiliate links (this is better for both search engines but more importantly visitors).
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
I would stay away from having affiliate links on a local business site 100%, if you really must have them, have very few. The point of running a local business instead of an affiliate sites in my book is to get advantage of not having affiliate links as a bad footprint.

Just Look up what is said in the leaked google raters handbook about "sneaky redirect" and you get the picture why a lot of affiliate sites are filtered out from the search engines these days for bigger search terms...
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

esolutions
Trust:
sirmatts wrote:I would stay away from having affiliate links on a local business site 100%, if you really must have them, have very few. The point of running a local business instead of an affiliate sites in my book is to get advantage of not having affiliate links as a bad footprint.

Just Look up what is said in the leaked google raters handbook about "sneaky redirect" and you get the picture why a lot of affiliate sites are filtered out from the search engines these days for bigger search terms...

You may be confusing affiliate links with spam links. Affiliate links that provide what the visitor is searching for, a "solution" to their problem and/or alternatives are not only a good addition to a site, but can be very valuable to the visitor.

For example, if I'm a local restaurant and I want to hire a local SEO expert I'll search, land on their site, maybe it will be an article about SEO for restaurants and an offer to hire this person to help. Now maybe in this article or in the sidebar there is a recommendation for a book or training series called "Effective Social Media Strategies for Small Businesses"... I'm already on social media, but maybe I'm not getting as much as I can out of it plus I'm hiring the SEO expert and happy that he referred me to yet another way to grow my business.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
esolutions no I have not mixed up between affiliate links and spamlinks. You should read up on the leaked google raters handbook. You can find it from here http://bit.ly/WUGUtS
you will find the book in the first search result!

It is on page 130+ something even one of the most known Affiliate networks is basically painted out has having affiliate spam redirect links for their world class clients.....

Observing what happens in the serps and reading this have made me move to ecommerce. However I do still build tiny CPA sites that I dont care about if they tank or not as long as I can rank them for a while. It is all calculated short therm business..... When one dies out I have a few new sites up and comming..... It is pretty much the only way to play this game anymore as an affiliate... build tiny affiliate sites promote them with blackhat seo tools... or become super legit with a actually real business Where the checkout page is on your site not on a third party site as in affiliate business model.

I have choosen to do both Ecommere as long term with none spammy promtion . CPA as short therm promoted with mass link building tools....

I know it goes against all the logic but this is how the major search engine operate right now So the only way is to adapt correctly... Once I have Ecommerce established it will be only that business model and consulting....

The other way around it would be to get into blogging and guru pedling products stuff to other bloggers... but that is not in my interest anyway....

You should relly read that hanbook it will open up your eyes....
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I read the book in question and it isn't against affiliate links, its against thin affiliate sites, ie, affiliate sites that add no value on their own. If you are doing things properly, you don't have to resort to black hat tactics. I have several affiliate sites right now doing really well that have one or two affiliate links as well as other links on the pages.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

joelpalarca21
Trust:
I'm on google forum and i did review some sites that have problems. Many affiliate sites hit by google algo cause number 1 their content are low quality. They stuff keywords. My advice is create an high quality articles and make your affiliate link nofollow
Want to learn how to make money blogging? Visit here http://makemoneymarketing.net/how-to-make-money-blogging/

This topic was started on Jan 16, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.