Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

How do YOU select Your Niche

smuigal
Trust:

How do YOU select Your Niche

Hi Everyone,

Someone PM'd me today and asked me to tell them how I come up with my niches and how I decide what to go after. I think this is really a pretty wide open question so I thought I'd write my personal formula, then see if any of you guys want to contribute.

I have a few rules that I do stick to. I am sure they are in the videos. As with anything when you gain experience, your rules are bent and changed, but the core of the system is the same.

1. I pick a nice that is:
a. Something I already know about or love - my personal hobbies
b. The niche must be something that has a good amount of PPC ads so I know it is popular.
c. I select keywords that are within "my" personal ability to rank well.

I think this is something you will really have to figure out on your own. You see when I first started my limit was 25,000 pages of competition in Google. However, I have learned that I can reach up to 500,000 plus, in quotes with a real push in SEO. The lower the competition the cheaper my outsourcing is. The number of pages is also relative to the top ten websites listed in Google. So, PR plays a part in this. I won't go for a keyword phrase where wiki and other top sites like .gov, .edu, etc... or maybe a list of sites that actually "sell" the product or services. Like credit cards, insurance etc... But you can usually find a good keyword phrase in there that those places do not dominate.

Next: Your ability to rank well in SEO will probably depend on two things.

Time
Money

If you have tons of free time you can write tons of articles, submit them to article directories, create linkwheels, social bookmark, etc...

If you have money to burn, you can outsource your chores, articles, submissions, linkwheel creations etc...
If you have money to burn, you can also buy tools like

Magic Article Writer/Submitter. I use this tool to submit articles over time to a lot of article directories. $80.00 or ? I forget.
AMA - I submit articles to this network. $47.00 monthly
Linkjuice - I have recently upgraded to SENuke LInjuice is $39.00 monthly - You should ping and bookmark the posts.
SENuke - An expensive but excellent service. $127.00
TrafficKahuna - I'm comparing to SENuke to see if there is a reason to have both - $147.00 monthly

OR Outsource

I outsource my backlinking/article writing/spinning/

What you can accomplish via SEO will determine what you can target regarding the competition.

2. I like to look for buying keywords
a. Keywords that are the name of the product
b. Keywords that are the name of the author
c. Keywords that have "buy" "get" "download"
d. I don't pick keywords that have "free" in it.

I don't use all those tools right now that are mentioned above. There are tons of tools. I have accomplished my good rankings from articles and backlinking to forums, networks, etc... sometimes videos and a lot of web2.0 pages that are created in a very natural linkwheel way. Not the way it has been explained or the most common circular way. I am tired of paying for the outsourcing of these things and think that SENuke and Traffickahuna may just be the thing to change the need for outsourcing the backlinks.

So, that is my system.

What is yours?
Chrisi
Last edited by smuigal on 19 Mar 10 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

digiblue
Trust:
Thanks Chrisi,

My System:

1. Market & Trend Research
2. Target Market Profiling
3. Alerts
4. Keyword Research
5. Promotion

Market & Trend Research

First thing you need to brainstorm some niches but how is this done? I go to transparent marketplaces which reveal their best sellers or products or topics that are getting buzz. I also focus on desperate buyers and obsessive people.

Clickbank Marketplace (anything on the first page is usually a popular niche), Amazon Bestsellers, Yahoo Buzz, Digg.com, Google Hot Trends, Shopping.com and Ezinearticles most popular.

Once I have got a few ideas I will go to Google insights for search and type in the top level keyword or broad niche to check the overall trend. I am looking for something that is rising in trend or that is stable. If it is strongly trending down I move on to the next niche.

Once I have found a niche that is trending upwards I will check out the top searches and rising searches, paying particular interest in the breakout keywords. I will add these to a notepad document and any other phrases of interest. I will keep digging into these phrases until I find gold. This will usually be more product focused keywords or desperate keywords such as: problem, help, how to, improve. Or buying keywords such as: buy, sell, find.

This can take a while but it is worth it, add all keywords to notepad file.

Next I will use Google external keyword tool or traffic travis to do a quick check to see if there is interest (high search count and PPC ads running for the various keywords)

Target Market Profiling

Take the niche you found or keywords and find out more about the target market or the people who are interested in the product or niche. Forums are the best for this, also yahoo answers.

Use boardtracker, boardreader, omgili, to find hot topics and conversations that are going on in your niche and to learn more about the problems or troubles your niche market experiences. You may also come up with new keyword from looking at forums, so add them to a notepad doc as well.

Check out compete.com and quantcast.com for targeted information about your market. Age, sex, country, etc. Also you can find other authority Websites that your target market visits that will give you even more data.

Now you should have a good understanding of the person you are marketing to and you should understand their pains, their lingo and what the desire.

Alerts

Sign up for Google Alerts and add your broad keyword and more niche keywords as well. After a few days you will have your own research engine reporting back to you where all the buzz is, what conversations are happening and what is hot and what is not...this is invaluable! If you are blogging you can blog about the topics and conversations that are coming up from the alerts.

Keyword Research

I like to leave specific keyword research to the end after fully understanding my marketplace and knowing where the opportunities are.

Usually by now I will have a good number of keywords from Google Insights, forums, and from the Alerts all I want to do is enter them into either market samurai or traffic travis in order to find out two things: search volume and top 10 competition. Sometimes I will take the keywords I already have and build them out using market samurai or traffic travis.

I do not really care about how many competing Websites there are. The reason being is I just want to know the strength of the top 10. If I cannot get on the first page for a keyword within a few months I am not going to bother with it. I don't really care too much about the number of links to the domain as a whole, I care more about the links to the actual ranking page.

If majority of the spots are taken over by high authority Websites such as Wikipedia, about.com or any Websites that are PR 4 or over then I will discard the keyword and move onto the next.

I am also not too concerned with the amount of searches as I am more concerned with the intention behind the person who is typing in the keyword. What do they really want?

I mainly go for product related keywords, reviews and a few buzz keywords.

I find it hard to give a complete process for picking keywords because it's a mixture of art and science. As well as a feeling. But I do like to see keywords with searches over 50 day (if it's highly targeted), upward trend (insights), weak competition in the top 10 (under PR 3, bad on page optimization, backlinks to page under 100).

I will narrow down my keywords to about 5 top keywords which I want to promote the most (usually product related or desperate problems) and then about 15 - 20 keywords that I will promote but only after getting rankings with the top 5.

Promotion

After building my website or blog I will then start the promotional process. I will write the content or have my team produce the content and add it to my site. Then I will get an article created for every keyword I have an article on my site and submit these to Ezinearticles and wait to get them approved.

While I am waiting to get the article approved I will do a mini promotion on the each of the top 5 keywords using phase one of Web2Mayhem (see my signature file).

After the articles have been approved at Ezinearticles, I will take the 5 that are linking to my top 5 keywords and spin them using best spinner (I will use nested spinning) and then I will submit them again using Web2Mayhem syndicate Kahuna (like AMA but much better in my opinion) I will set this to drip posts in slowly.

I will then take the same spin code from the article and submit them to about 50 article directories using the free article submission tool called ASHelper (awesome), lots of these articles submissions take a long time to get indexed by Google so I am not worried about building links "too quickly"

Next I will focus on my top number one keyword and build about 3 - 4 high quality Web 2.0 websites that will each link to the keyword I am promoting. I like using Squidoo, Blogger, Weebly and Gather but I mix these up a bit. Once I have these sites I will once again use Web2Mayhem and run Web2co-op (underused by seriously powerful) and use it to juice up squidoo with high ratings, comments and favorites. I will also use this to bookmark all the web 2.0 websites.

I will basically keep running through the different phases of Web2Mayhem for the top 5 keywords and build the web 2.0 websites around each of top 5 keywords. This will be done over a period of about a month then once I start getting rankings and traffic I will focus this same promotional techniques on the other keywords while maintaining the others.

I always mix in other link building and promotional techniques such as video marketing, blog commenting, software submissions, press releases, etc.

Of course there are more specifics to all of this but this is the basic structure and process that I follow.
Last edited by digiblue on 19 Mar 10 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Actually I just did a recording on this topic for my FPC site...

I write out 2 lists. All my hobbies and passions.
things I want to improve about myself.

take those two lists and the things that cross over, I look into for my niche.
Then go to clickbank and look to see if there are products being sold there with gravity over 30

check amazon to see if products are being sold there. Between amazon and Clickbank, if you cannot find ANYTHING with good sales being sold, it probably is not profitable. However, I have yet to come up with one that I could not find.

The reason I do my own personal problems is that by doing the research and learning what will help others, I help myself at the same time. I also find that by writing about my own personal growth and experiences as I learn, I get better responses to my articles and I am able to connect with my target customers more. we all win this way.
As for the system afterwards.

Seo is great but I find that I get Most of my traffic from other sources. I focus on social sites, videos and bookmarking. I also join forums withiin the niche, and help others as I continue to learn and grow myself.
WHY did I start this way?

when I first started, everyone told me to stay away from the whole IM niche. mostly I did. However, I started blogging about my progress, had a couple of adds for AB in the sidebar and mainly did a little bookmarking and shared my info in the forums. My first successful sales were in this niche.

So, I started doing the same things in other niches that I was already working on, and BAM Success...
Now, I do work on getting pages ranking well, but I focus more on getting traffic than getting search rankings. I find it is a lot easier and less stressful. besides, SEO is all about the traffic in the end.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

smuigal
Trust:
Nice posts guys :) I have forgotten about Google alerts. I also check Amazon for the feedback and popularity. Good stuff here.

Thanks Digi and JM
Chrisi
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
This is a totally awesome thread!

Now, I'm not very smart, so my process isn't very elaborate and it's taken me awhile to really "get" this.

I like to go for proven markets. Basically, I just go to Clickbank and look for products that have a decent gravity in niches that I wouldn't mind writing about (sorry, but I just don't think I could handle writing 30 articles on registry cleaners). Of course, it's nice if I'm actually interested in the niche myself, but it's not necessary. I make most of my money from niches that I pretty much knew nothing about going into them.

Then it's research time. Dig around on the internet. Learn common problems, terms, abbreviations, and all the hip and trendy words that go with the niche. Make a list of all these things.

Then it's time for Traffic Travis! I put all the words into the keyword tool and get some sexy data and related keywords from my nerdy-looking friend, Travis.

Once I have a huge list of phrases from Traffic Travis, I dump those words into the Google Keyword Tool and grab words that have a good search volume, make good grammatical sense, and have some urgency or intent behind them (like "how to...." or "get rid of....").

Then I go back to Traffic Travis and check competitiveness. I like to go for 4- and 5-star keywords. I'm a little neurotic, so I'll also check my keywords against the Niche Profit Classroom "Money Word Matrix" or whatever it's called.

After these two filters, I should have about 25 or 30 keywords to write articles about.

Then, I go and write articles with interesting titles. Instead of putting your article on your site with a title like "Stop a Breakup," give it a more compelling title like "3 Things You Must Do to Stop a Breakup."

This is just the groundwork of getting things set up. Of course promotion, SEO, and all that are involved, but I feel like I've already written a lot. Plus, I'm still learning a lot on how to drive traffic, so I feel like I don't have that down solid yet.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

wollowra
Trust:
I agree very good topic.
Digiblue, some good resources there..
I could add to the thread but I would just be repeating what you all said so well.
(To staff) I am making this a sticky..
Great thread.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

andi76
Trust:
WOW!!!
sorry I cannot contribute to this thread.
I am having great difficulties finding a niche I can relate to as it is(newbie).
But this thread has given me invaluable info.
Thank you all!!!
stargate66
Trust:
Hi Guys

Great stuff here! Thank you for sharing all your info.

The only thing I can add is patience and perseverance. If you happen to fall flat with your first niche, write it off as good experience and move on to the next.
For over all wellness you need a solid Omega 3 fatty acids intake
http://www.earth-edge.com

josh888
Trust:
Great Tips .... Thanks for posting such wonderful contents
brewer
Trust:
Great post guys,
I am a newbie working on my first site I have written 15 articles myself and will outsource the last 15 due to time. AB suggests using AMA but the tools on board Web2mayhem look far better. My concern only is that all the money newbies have would normally go into outsourcing article to ensure good 100% content. AS Web2 Mayhem is >$100 even more for us Australians when we convert it puts a big dent in the pocket before we had started earning any money. I realize it is not all about money but results as well so;
If you were to start all over again what would be the minimum software you would use to get started?
Learn how to maintain a long lasting relationship
www.reviveyourlove.com

billwynne
Trust:
I found this thread because I wanted to know how people relate to Traffic Travis versus the Money Word Matrix. I appreciate the one comment involving this and I would like to see more feedback on that point.
To your success,
Bill Wynne
www.billwynne.com

fostin7
Trust:
great thread.

I'm a complete newbie... and I'm building my 1st real webiste with content... but I usually think about stuff I love or like. Then, I brainstorm phrases and pick the ones I think will work best and the ones that are my favourite. Once I have a good list, I go to the google keyword tool and type them to check the search volumes. I also have Market Samurai which is a great keyword research tool and it does the whole thing automatically.
bloggingnewbie
Trust:
I also second to using market samurai as its so easy to use once you get the hang of it... I love the RAnking and SEO competition part as it tells you how competitive your keywords are VS your competition for that particular niche..... and how well each of your keywords are ranked up on Google Yahoo & Bing for broad/phrase/match .... you guys have pretty much covered all of the important factors to finding a niche neways.... GREAT POST
http://www.BloggingForNewbies.org - A place for all newbies to hangout to learn with FREE blogging tips.

stargate66
Trust:
Brewer wrote:Great post guys,
I am a newbie working on my first site I have written 15 articles myself and will outsource the last 15 due to time. AB suggests using AMA but the tools on board Web2mayhem look far better. My concern only is that all the money newbies have would normally go into outsourcing article to ensure good 100% content. AS Web2 Mayhem is >$100 even more for us Australians when we convert it puts a big dent in the pocket before we had started earning any money. I realize it is not all about money but results as well so;
If you were to start all over again what would be the minimum software you would use to get started?

I am doing everything myself and have never paid for any articles or relevant services. The fact that you have written 15 articles means that you are a competent writer and it seems that your real issue is the time factor and making money fast. That's only human but my advice is to be patient. Every bit of work you do yourself, culminates in experience and will stand you in good stead in future. I would invest in Rapid Rewriter to spin my own original articles.

abeja_reina_1989
Trust:
For me, I just realized what I loved to do. I love helping others and I love to write. So, I just kinda went from there. I selected advice and relationships and I created my own website. I love giving advice and helping people with OCD, depression, anxiety etc. It's been amazing!
saibaba1
Trust:
Thank you all for this educational post.
borry
Trust:
Hi All

I'm a total newbie but have read that the best niches are ones that relate to health, wealth and happiness - the 3 main factors in everyone's lives.
Any other thoughts from the more experienced affiliates?
Belinda
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hi Belinda, these are good money niches. however, unless you have some personal experience with them that you can draw on, and a huge interest, I dont recommend it for your first niche.

the first one is always the hardest, especially if you are on a budget and have to do everything yourself. Once you start making some money and reinvest it into outsourcing a lot of the work, these are good niches to get into without having to force yourself to do hours of work that you really are not interested in doing.

stargate66
Trust:
I fully agree with James.

Stay away from these niches as a beginner, you'll just get disheartened and we don't want that do we?

Dig for something that has little competition and lower search volumes so that you can rank quicker and get rewarded quicker - that will make you want to stay in the game and then move on to the juicier fruits.

Goog Luck
William

dave333
Trust:
I always choose topics that interest me and I have a good knowledge about. I thought I would run out of ideas after a while but I always seem to know what my next website will be about.

A tip I would give to newbies, always choose a small nichie topic to start with, you will be surprised at how many people search in these topics.
http://www.affilorama.com/forum/post69742.html#p69742 - Affilorama Services: SEOJuice - FREE SEO TRIAL ON NOW!

blogpressseo
Trust:
Hello

Thanks for these tips really help full in selecting a right niche
Automatic BackLinks - http://BlogPressSEO.com Wp Plugin always 100% FREE

daria19
Trust:
I like to pick big niches where people are making lots of money. :)

Money, Health, and Relationships.
http://wp-robot.net - Create Autoblogs with WPRobot Wordpress Plugin

esolutions
Trust:
Pick a niche that will not go out of style. Something that will still be around for many years to come.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

brandi78
Trust:
I Love keyword and niche research! I usually go for keywords that are at the end of the purchasing cycle and look at the type of websites on the first page. If there are two with a page rank of 0 my website or article will rank.

Buying domain names is a skill and I have the same criteria for them. If you pick the right name you wont have to do much work at all.

When I pick a niche I always make sure that the merchant is converting well by looking at the average per click.

I have a free niche keyword service in my sig
Get Free Niche Keywords for eBay, Amazon, CJ, Adsense http://daily-niches.com
Website Affiliate Software Builder By Me: http://pronichestore.com

jankles
Trust:
Usually I don't get to choose the niche. It just starts to niche somewhere, then I scratch it.
aditd
Trust:
jankles wrote:Usually I don't get to choose the niche. It just starts to niche somewhere, then I scratch it.

This is the way I also do it.
Or: I go with every affiliate program that approves. If I sale something / get a check ... that is my niche.
http://www.couponsitescript.com - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

http://www.codecoupondiscount.com - Coupon Site Script in Action

shanaooi
Trust:
Hi there,

I personally find Amazon is a very good place to find a profitable niche and to know if they are good products to promote too.
Check out if there's any user review ( at least 10 reviews) and 3 star rating onwards.

Since Amazon is a little stingy in their commission payout to affiliates - choose any product which above $100 so that you get your fair commission. :-)

Good place to find niches and good products to promote...really.

Cheers
http://affiliateprofitsystem.net : Inside secrets to make money online

http://bit.ly/kF3tiG : Get your FREE access now

http://bit.ly/j3y37b : Build your list fast and make money for only $2 a month

PremiumMember
sethczerepak
Trust:
That's a good formula, I also look for an audience that's hungry enough to buy right away, makes a big difference in how fast you can get it profitable.
brokenblade
Trust:
My system is:

What am I passionate about?
What do people need?
What is respectable?

That is how I found my niche (self improvement).
fastnobull
Trust:
I only pick niches with profitability and low competition.

SEO Quake on Firefox tells me all I need to know about that.
smuigal
Trust:
Recently I've been learning more about using Googles Wonder Wheel. The process seems to take longer but I do believe you can find good long tail keywords using this method.

Anyone else using this? I think I'll start a thread it.

:)
Chrisi

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I use it for picking keywords out, but not for choosing a niche to begin with. I still say pick a niche that you will enjoy working in. it makes the job a lot easier. if you are just in it for the money, you will get frustrated and quit before too long.

cherie
Trust:
I select my niche by picking a hungry market that I am passionate about and that makes sense.
Cherie
Build your social empire today!
http://mysocialdude.com

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Picking a niche that you are interested in makes a lot of sense. It would be easier to work on your website if it is about a topic you have a personal interest in.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

jpastorizo
Trust:
The process of selecting a niche totally depends on what business model you are doing. If you are building authority sites based on the Affiloblueprint method then it is best to choose a topic/niche that you like/love/passionate about. This makes it easier to manage/handle your sites. However, if you are into building micro sites like adsense sites or amazon review sites, then it is a totally different story since for this business model you have to have a ton of sites that makes a few $ every month.

As side note - Most newbies (if not all) fall into the common mistake of choosing a product first then trying to find the keywords that people search for (if any at all!) in the Search Engines. Do the niche research and let the keywords tell you which to market.

All the best,
Jon
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

danteromero
Trust:
I go for what is going to earn me maximum profit for minimal effort. Which boils down to choosing a niche that I am already an expert in. ( where I already know enough to communicate the products and services to the user effectively ) Then I follow The Great Formula to just scale it up big.

( if you haven't heard of the "The Great Formula," check out the book of that title by Mark Joyner )
How To Stop These Invisible Forces That Make Life A Struggle
www.HiddenConstraints.com

justonce94
Trust:
I THINK IT'S BEST THAT YOU CHOOSE A NICE THAT YOU LOVE!!!!! THAT'S ALWAYS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. THEN ONCE YOU'RE EXPERIENCED, YOU CAN THEN MOVE ON TO BIGGER AND BETTER NICHES...
mack45
Trust:
I usually find that part a waste of time usually I find the product with an affiliate program that pays decent. Then I find if there are keywords left that have any traffic to them that I can rank for. Then check the competition on the front page of google and see if I can get there with out spending a lot of time or cash.

Just going out looking for niches is a waste of time to me If there is no demand and product affiliate promotion what good is the keyword unless you can create your own product like an ebook or things like that.

After saying that it is really important to learn how to use keywords and to find them, there is an excellent set of instructions here under the name of Keyword Academy I got it as a jet pack bonus and have the link in my favorites this is a three hour set of videos that should be a must for all newbies.
I use most all free tools for finding and deciding competition I just check my post quality with Traffic Travis or the Product I have just purchased called "easy wp seo" it works better than seopressor as near as I can tell .
I follow nearly all what cterao does and agree with it as well I do not look for the keywords first until I have an affiliate. I have been working with a group that is selling for Amazon .com and starting to get sales now . I have ten websites now and growing.
I still have a jetpack as well but golfing is to seasonal and i am trying to find a better seo than Linkvana . I had good success with some of the article submission people that work here in affilorama services .
Last edited by mack45 on 27 Oct 11 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pro at basic WP and keyword research willing to coach.mackaybruce@hotmail.com

evilla.drazen
Trust:
Well, I like digiblue's system in choosing your niche. Very well explained and clear at the same time.
anthbls
Trust:
Hi, all. My name is Anthony, and I am here on a $1.00 seven day trial membership. I am a 61 year old disabuled guy in Sarasota, FL, USA I have looked high and for 4 years to find somthing to make money on. I am living in a nusing home with nothing to do. Mark Ling's Affilorama looks good. I can tell from the forum posts that a lot of people are doing well. I got into BANS Build A Niche Store on E-bay, but it did not go anywhere. (all my fault) This looks good, and as soon as I get a few bucks togeher, I'll be in. Just looking at the free side, you can get a lot of ideas. See you all later.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Anthony,

Welcome to Affilorama! :)

We have over 80 free videos and lessons online that can help you get started on affiliate marketing. Paying for a course is not always the way to go. We have members who were able to build an affiliate site by following our free lessons. Read on and let us know if you have inquiries.

All the best!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

nm629593
Trust:
anthbls wrote:Hi, all. My name is Anthony, and I am here on a $1.00 seven day trial membership. I am a 61 year old disabuled guy in Sarasota, FL, USA I have looked high and for 4 years to find somthing to make money on. I am living in a nusing home with nothing to do. Mark Ling's Affilorama looks good. I can tell from the forum posts that a lot of people are doing well. I got into BANS Build A Niche Store on E-bay, but it did not go anywhere. (all my fault) This looks good, and as soon as I get a few bucks togeher, I'll be in. Just looking at the free side, you can get a lot of ideas. See you all later.

Hi Anthony, my name is Pam and I live in the US also. I feel like I am on niche overload! I have several ideas in mind but I don't want to take a "shotgun" approach to selecting a nice. I am going to try to be more lazer focused. Still going through the free lessons and so far Blueprint seems like a good place to start and will give me a good foundation on which to build. (I sometimes go off topic, that's why I deleted my other post)
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Pam,

I hope you don't take overly long in choosing a niche, otherwise you will never get anything started. :)
I usually select a niche that I know something about or I am naturally interested in. This makes writing and researching for the niche a bit more exciting. While choosing a niche, consider the angle you'd be taking for it as well so you can move on to building the site once you've decided.

Hope that helps. Happy Holidays!
Cecille

marketingwarrior1141
Trust:
I am still in the process of deciding how to go about this situation. I like working with computers, but the computer or electronic niche is a really high competitive niche that I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't do all that well in making money online with this niche. So now I'm researching to see what is profitable. If it's something that I don't know stuff about, I'll be willing to research it.
nm629593
Trust:
marketingwarrior1141 wrote:I am still in the process of deciding how to go about this situation. I like working with computers, but the computer or electronic niche is a really high competitive niche that I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't do all that well in making money online with this niche. So now I'm researching to see what is profitable. If it's something that I don't know stuff about, I'll be willing to research it.

I feel your pain! As Cecille has indicated in a previous post to me, you've got to start somewhere. I think to go with your first instinct can sometimes be an OK thing to do. If it doesn't work out, you will still have learned something in the process. I want to do something in the self help area but have some concerns about liability if somone purchases something and has an adverse event or effect. Since I am not actually selling the product could I still be liable? That's why I am on the edge about switching to something else.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I am still in the process of deciding how to go about this situation. I like working with computers, but the computer or electronic niche is a really high competitive niche that I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't do all that well in making money online with this niche. So now I'm researching to see what is profitable. If it's something that I don't know stuff about, I'll be willing to research it.

What aspect of computers/technology are you interested in? Technology/computer niche is broad and it might help if you narrow it down. Do you like writing review for various gadgets? Do you like giving information on how to take better care of your laptop or computer? I know of one person who is earning a bit online through AdSense ads on his review blog. He gets massive traffic on the site so much that vendors are now paying him to get to advertise on his site and he only started a review blog for the sheer pleasure of voicing out his opinions. :)

Not all niches are lucrative but just because a niche is lucrative means you'll earn a lot from it right away. Do a bit of market research and see what your target market needs. That should give you an idea of what angle and sub-niche to choose.

I feel your pain! As Cecille has indicated in a previous post to me, you've got to start somewhere. I think to go with your first instinct can sometimes be an OK thing to do. If it doesn't work out, you will still have learned something in the process. I want to do something in the self help area but have some concerns about liability if somone purchases something and has an adverse event or effect. Since I am not actually selling the product could I still be liable? That's why I am on the edge about switching to something else.

You are in a sense helping to sell the product as you are promoting/endorsing it on your site. Your question would be best answered by someone in the same niche (Unfortunately, I am not). There are members here who are in the same niche and I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with it. I guess you can ask the vendors for a review copy of the products so you can go through them yourself and discern if they would have any adverse effects. From what I have seen of self-help products, they are mostly products that promote a healthful mindset so I don't feel that this would cause any side effects.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

nm629593
Trust:
Cecille L wrote:

What aspect of computers/technology are you interested in? Technology/computer niche is broad and it might help if you narrow it down. Do you like writing review for various gadgets? Do you like giving information on how to take better care of your laptop or computer? I know of one person who is earning a bit online through AdSense ads on his review blog. He gets massive traffic on the site so much that vendors are now paying him to get to advertise on his site and he only started a review blog for the sheer pleasure of voicing out his opinions. :)

Not all niches are lucrative but just because a niche is lucrative means you'll earn a lot from it right away. Do a bit of market research and see what your target market needs. That should give you an idea of what angle and sub-niche to choose.

You are in a sense helping to sell the product as you are promoting/endorsing it on your site. Your question would be best answered by someone in the same niche (Unfortunately, I am not). There are members here who are in the same niche and I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with it. I guess you can ask the vendors for a review copy of the products so you can go through them yourself and discern if they would have any adverse effects. From what I have seen of self-help products, they are mostly products that promote a healthful mindset so I don't feel that this would cause any side effects.

Thanks Cecille!! Your timely response back is amazing and always greatly appreciated. I just want to be sure all my bases are covered before I invest the time into developing keywords and content for a niche. I did what you suggested and agree that what I am looking at does promote a healthful mindset. I've also researched some clinical papers that support this also. If there are any members out there than can give me some advice or tidbits that are marketing in the self-help niche please let me know! I would love to hear from you.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi nm629593,

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. Glad to help. :)
I hope you get feedback from members in the same niche soon .

Have a good day!
Cecille

webmasters
Trust:
I would chose according to my taste and what I see money in -
$100 PPS / 50% Commission / 20% Referrals
Oranum, Psychics on Webcam,

http://tinyurl.com/7wwnoyj

dann02
Trust:
You mentioned article spinners and automatic submissions to buy if you've got money to burn...

I've heard that TheBestSpinner, is actually the best spinner. They've got to keep a close eye on competitors with a name like that...
Here, I talk about my experiences with affiliate marketing and related topics:
http://blogthingsdot.blogspot.com

jimweb43
Trust:
First off I would explore some avenues that I am familiar with. IE: If I were a retired plumber than I may venture to create a plumbers information source and or product/ guide. Then I would do some keyword research to get a general idea of the competition and to figure out with keywords strings would be most effective.
smuigal wrote:Hi Everyone,

Someone PM'd me today and asked me to tell them how I come up with my niches and how I decide what to go after. I think this is really a pretty wide open question so I thought I'd write my personal formula, then see if any of you guys want to contribute.

I have a few rules that I do stick to. I am sure they are in the videos. As with anything when you gain experience, your rules are bent and changed, but the core of the system is the same.

1. I pick a nice that is:
a. Something I already know about or love - my personal hobbies
b. The niche must be something that has a good amount of PPC ads so I know it is popular.
c. I select keywords that are within "my" personal ability to rank well.

I think this is something you will really have to figure out on your own. You see when I first started my limit was 25,000 pages of competition in Google. However, I have learned that I can reach up to 500,000 plus, in quotes with a real push in SEO. The lower the competition the cheaper my outsourcing is. The number of pages is also relative to the top ten websites listed in Google. So, PR plays a part in this. I won't go for a keyword phrase where wiki and other top sites like .gov, .edu, etc... or maybe a list of sites that actually "sell" the product or services. Like credit cards, insurance etc... But you can usually find a good keyword phrase in there that those places do not dominate.

Next: Your ability to rank well in SEO will probably depend on two things.

Time
Money

If you have tons of free time you can write tons of articles, submit them to article directories, create linkwheels, social bookmark, etc...

If you have money to burn, you can outsource your chores, articles, submissions, linkwheel creations etc...
If you have money to burn, you can also buy tools like

Magic Article Writer/Submitter. I use this tool to submit articles over time to a lot of article directories. $80.00 or ? I forget.
AMA - I submit articles to this network. $47.00 monthly
Linkjuice - I have recently upgraded to SENuke LInjuice is $39.00 monthly - You should ping and bookmark the posts.
SENuke - An expensive but excellent service. $127.00
TrafficKahuna - I'm comparing to SENuke to see if there is a reason to have both - $147.00 monthly

OR Outsource

I outsource my backlinking/article writing/spinning/

What you can accomplish via SEO will determine what you can target regarding the competition.

2. I like to look for buying keywords
a. Keywords that are the name of the product
b. Keywords that are the name of the author
c. Keywords that have "buy" "get" "download"
d. I don't pick keywords that have "free" in it.Image

I don't use all those tools right now that are mentioned above. There are tons of tools. I have accomplished my good rankings from articles and backlinking to forums, networks, etc... sometimes videos and a lot of web2.0 pages that are created in a very natural linkwheel way. Not the way it has been explained or the most common circular way. I am tired of paying for the outsourcing of these things and think that SENuke and Traffickahuna may just be the thing to change the need for outsourcing the backlinks.

So, that is my system.

What is yours?
Chrisi
yulia
Trust:
Couple of important things needed to be considered
1.Do you like it? Cause you are going to be writing about it a lot. So better for you to like it )
2. It doesn't have to be Famous and popular. There is enough competition on the Big niches, you don't need to get your hands dirty right of the way when you are a beginner lets say. Smaller niches and less popular are the ones where you can start off, you can rank with long tail keywords with low competition and get steady, targeted traffic. Yes it wont be as big as in a big niches but here you should start with something where you can get steady nice results and not get burned on your first day.
3.Think- what do people actually need? this is where you will figure out which niche to go with.You will find potential and low competition in new niches .
4. Search for long tail keywords with low competition,- again, it will bring you much more results then the ones you're incapable to rank in at all.

Good luck to all!
Yulia- Affiliate Manager
Direct Net Partners Cigarettes Affiliate Program | Get 50$ CPA
Faster approval for Affilorama members
Email: Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
Great tips everyone. :)

Well, I would like to share mine by talking about selecting niche on a blogger's standpoint. If you are interested on selecting a niche for your blog, the first question to ask would be: "What are the possible niches to blog about?"

Besides the already mentioned tactics and steps here, I believe that one should also have interest in the way blogosphere works these days and at the same time one should have the ability to connect with like-minded people.

What I am trying to say is, a good niche for blogs would be something that will be able to get the interest of the "blogging" community. I see that most of the successful bloggers always choose a niche that they are very passionate about and are excited to always discuss topics to others.

Once you selected a niche that you really, really like, then everything falls to place. You have the ability and interest to share more about the topic, you respect people who are also in the same niche as yours, you care about checking your competition and how your niche is doing in the social media market, and so on.

The bottom line here is, if your niche is something that you really do not have interest in, then this niche is not for you. Regardless of the many learning and handy strategies you accumulated about selecting a good niche, they will all become useless, unless you have the passion and interest for your niche.
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I think most blogs start out quite innocuously. You are passionate about a cause and want everybody to know, you want to share how to make this and that, you are a new mother looking for support or want a little online space to vent and share... etc, etc. Once a blog has started, it pretty much can branch out to anything the blog owner/writer wants. Once it gains readership, well... your blog has definitely arrived. :)

Most get stuck with choosing a niche because it's easy to get drawn to what sells, what can make you money. After all, that's your main purpose. This should not be the case. Always go for what you want to research about, learn more of, write about. Keep in mind to choose a niche that you want and like.
Cecille

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
It's always best to go for a niche that you are knowledgeable in or passionate about. But I know that sometimes, that can NOT be the case. Sometimes, when you're just starting out you either get a blank when choosing a niche or you suddenly become unsure whether to go on because you niche you're interested may not be popular.

There are several factors to consider when picking out a niche. One would be the products you'll be promoting. You want to make sure that you're going to promote products that convert well. I created a video on how to find profitable niches. I think that would be very helpful.

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

jay3
Trust:
Still refining my keyword research but i actually like to reverse engineer squidoo and digg by using "site: " codes example site:squidoo.com "ranked #1..20 in" Gardening

10 minute video i created some time back if anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHKU6Bpz_xU
Another Awe$ome Online Community And I've Managed To Get You In For $7 - http://www.btf2012.com/they-laughed-until.php

mybest.forums179
Trust:
Many times, when talking about Aircraft Loans, it is not a good idea to think of it in isolated terms. So then what you simply should do is gather as many facts as possible and think about them. It is not hard to learn more about this, and you can probably save yourself some hassles by doing so. You will have the ability to make the best decisions when you are confident you have all you need to know. You need to know what you are working with, so here are some areas within this subject you should take the time to consider.

The word you are going to hear more than any other word when you go into Internet Marketing is “niche.” Truly. The term is used much more often than words including “visitors,” “profits,” “money,” or even the word “help.” You have to select a niche. You need to be able to find out whether a thing will relate well to your preferred niche. The niche factors in heavily to your ultimate success. How often have you read or been told these kinds of things?
lilygreen289
Trust:
I always choose topics that interest me and I have a good knowledge about. I thought I would run out of ideas after a while but I always seem to know what my next website will be about.

A tip I would give to newbies, always choose a small nichie topic to start with, you will be surprised at how many people search in these topics.
Hi,this is my site: http://iplaytheme.com/
There are many free wordpress themes for you download!
Thank you for visiting~

liferidergillespie
Trust:
Guys, you guys are really giving me worthy information free of cost. May god bless you all!
sitehit
Trust:
This is a great spot to hang out, because i'm still trying to find my niche. I found a lot of great information here that I will be implementing immediately. Thanks everyone!

Link removed by moderator
Determined to be the best! Hygienic Services; http://hygienicservices.com, Relax; we'll do all the hard work!

stevejswindell
Trust:
stargate66 wrote:Hi Guys

Great stuff here! Thank you for sharing all your info.

The only thing I can add is patience and perseverance. If you happen to fall flat with your first niche, write it off as good experience and move on to the next.

I agree here. I've been doin this almost a year now. And the hardest thing was cycling niches til you find the right one. patience is KEY!!!
http://www.theoutpostwebs.com - Seo tools and tips for beginners

jcayetano1
Trust:
For me, it comes down what I can create content for. So that means, I find niches that I have an affinity for and that I can write about all day long. But I also take a look at other sites with the same interest as mine. If they are more successful, it gives me an impetus to make my site similar to theirs.
Joe Cayetano
Wpromote - Affiliate Marketing Manager
Go SEO | Quicklist | Social Boost

daveyace
Trust:
I have picked niches in the past that i was interested in and had no success because there wasn't enough people out there that shared the same interest. But you should still pick one that interests you as it's much more enjoyable. And it also doesn't seem like your working, more of a hobby.
Make $10,000 with this step by step formula (Newbie Friendly) http://bit.ly/MveoYF

alexforberg
Trust:
Your greatest interest is what will give you the greatest joy. Why not implement it to affiliate marketing as well? :)
Watch me. I will succeed.

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Your greatest interest is what will give you the greatest joy. Why not implement it to affiliate marketing as well? :)

This is true for the most part. You should definitely go for something you are genuinely interested in. This helps make research interesting, instead of boring. If you are truly feeling uninspired and no niche comes to mind, you can go over the Niche of the Week posts we've published on the Affilorama Blog for tips.

Cecille

contact12
Trust:
My system for choosing a niche is very simple. I basically choose and work with niches that make the most amount of money lol Any money I make from the Internet gets pumped into my shares, and this helps to keep my income growing even further :)
trawlers44
Trust:
I find the traffic first and let that pick the niche for me ! Buy finding the traffic first they you do a visitor profile and then match offers to the visitor profile, then you have traffic ,offers and high conversions because it is highly targeted traffic to the offers.
Struggling to make money online?
This is how I am killing it without Google!
http://jerseyshoremobilemarketing.com/google-sniper-fact

kathrynbieg209
Trust:
I agree with trawlers44. we should find the traffic first.
Now I'm going to find my niche.
Good luck to all.
dan.hardman
Trust:
I always check out what's trending by using services like Google Trends, YouTube and even Twitter sometimes.

After doing this and selecting a few possibilities, I then go further and more detailed and generate a list of keywords on each topic and research them with the Google Keywords tool and check the stats on each keyword to see if they are popular and to see if its possible for me to rank well in.

I'm constantly looking for new niches to go into as I have to add them to the profiles list of an Affiliate Marketing script I've developed.. Not gonna talk about it here though. Don't wanna steal the thread :)
jseelyus
Trust:
I am thinking that the best source for niche is within the physical world(not online) you find yourself. Building a niche should start with your close friends and relatives that really has the interest they can now invite their friends that has the same interest and their friends will now invite....and so on and on.... I see that one thing that will make a niche attracted to what you are offering is TRUST...
Jerry Seeley,
National Quest

Promote our read and win contest and get US$0.50 per successful entrance
Affiliate's Sign up here: http://www.nationalquestiononline.com/store/index.php?route=affiliate/login
Contest website here:
official website: www.http://www.nationalquestiononline.com

adficientppcmgt
Trust:
thanks for the tips guys, i learn new stuffs fro all of you. I am a newbee here and for now I can't contribute anything.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi adficientppcmgt,

Welcome to Affilorama!

Don't worry if you don't have anything to contribute yet. Feel free to go over the lessons on our site, and if you need more information, you can post your inquiry here in the forums, or send us an email through the contact form on our support page.

All the best!
Cecille

This topic was started on Mar 19, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.