Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

How do you evaluate advice

mark schaaf
Trust:

As someone how visits this forum as well as a few others I wanted to know how others evaluate advice or feedback you get when posting a question. For example I posted a question on another forum about my site as to why many people are clicking away from my site so soon that google says they spent zero time on the site. I asked people from the forum to check out my site for advice on what they thought it could be.

One person said my site had a bad font and didn't look trustworthy. Since I spent many weeks reading what font was best for the web and chose one of the top 3 I ignored that as well as my sight didn't look honest. How can a site look dishonest, maybe if it looked like a billboard trying to sell everything under the sun that could be true. Another person said he didn't like how the drop down menu covered up stuff and I was thinking what drop down menu doesn't cover up stuff. He also thought I should re do the entire site with a wordpress theme page which is out of the question.

The only thing I liked from any of the people who commented was to take my travel stories off the main site and add a blog to my site and put the stories on the blog. I had been thinking about putting a blog on my site and was wondering what the advantages of doing that would be. If the blog is on the site wouldn't people have to come to the site to read the stories anyhow. This is the only thing I don't know about because I only started thinking about a blog about a month or so ago and don't know enough about it. I do know that the web editing program I use has section where I can easily add a blog and wouldn't have to farm it out. So how do you think when you see the advice people give you on your questions. also does the blog idea sound good.
Mark

PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
I too have received idea suggestions that have been totally off the wall. I have found the best attitude I could take was to consider new thought options. Use the ideas to reevaluate the choices I have already made. This is especially true when the ideas are from people other than a mentor. A mentor's opinions should be taken with determination to act upon the idea plan. There is no reason to have a mentor if you have not previously committed to following the mentor's advise.

I have been advised by my personal internet marketing mentor to consider adding web 2.0 qualities to my static sites as this change will offer qualities that people enjoy thus increasing the acceptance of my websites. I have added this to one site so far, however it is currently too early to judge whether the change is positive. This website is being closely monitored and tested.

Margene Smith
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
One thing I tell people, even if they are paying me for my advice through my coaching services is that EVERYTHING I say is a recommendation based on my own experiences. You don't have to follow anything that I say, but in my opinion and based on my own testing, the things I say are what work.

When taking advice, flip that on its side. They are just giving you advice based on their own experiences. sometimes it may seem off the wall to you. also, they may not be the best people to advise you on your site.

One thing I always recommend to people is to find successful sites within their niche, and objectively compare them. meet other site owners within your niche, and ask them for a review of your site. you will get better advice from someone who knows what works in your niche than you will get through general forums like this.

travel blogs are really popular, so I would say that adding a blog to your site would be really valuable. post on it regularly talking about trips you have made etc.... maybe open up for guest posting if you want, allowing other travel bloggers to share their experiences. this will give you content, and some traffic, since most guest posters (the good ones anyway) will promote their guest post to their following.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

mark schaaf
Trust:
James, I know what you mean by saying they are telling me what worked for them or the things that they worked for others but for someone to say my site looks untrustworthy is just stupid unless they say why. I mean I have seen so many make money on line sites that are like 10 feet long and just seem to never end that will say click here every half page and to me that looks untrustworthy but outside of this guy I have never heard anyone say anything about trust and now that I think about it I think he said it didn't look trustworthy because when you hover your mouse over the menu bar the menus drop down below the main menu bar now isn't that why they call it a drop down menu.
Mark

PremiumMember
toby101
Trust:
- Objective common sense.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Like I said, don't always listen to everyones advice. Some people who are giving advice don't really know what they are talking about anyway.

As for the trust thing, I don't know what they were looking at, so I can't say why they said that. Perhaps to them it was something that they saw on your site.

When it comes to drop down menues, I use them myself. there is nothing wrong with them. Some people think of wierd things. Again, just shrug it off and move on.

I agree with you about most make money online sites. They do more to lose trust than to build it.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

evilla.drazen
Trust:
You should be careful in every advice that people give to you. An advice is somewhat a form of guidance as well, so you still need to reflect on the advice given to you, whether you think it is right or wrong, or if it is relevant or not, or whether it would be helpful or not.
jcdean
Trust:
I don't really have any input on how to distinguish good advice from bad, in a forum.

As far as the question you posed on the other forum, it reminded me of this affilorama blog post.

http://www.affilorama.com/blog/why-its-bad-to-assume-your-visitors-are-smart

It may hold the answer to your original question.
Respect,
J.C. Dean
http://KillYourDayjob.com

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
toby101 wrote:
- Objective common sense.

Spot on, Toby. :)

I always keep in mind that these pieces of advise are just that. Take it or leave it. I try to take everything in a positive and constructive way. A good thing about a forum is you get a bunch of answers, then from among those you choose the best. You always have freedom of choice. :)

As for giving it, I give recommendations based on what I know, have learned and experienced.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

karell_li
Trust:
Pieces of advice are just opinions, suggestions or recommendations. I agree with Cecille try to take everything in a positive and constructive way. besides, no matter what happen it will still be up to you.You have your choice.

About the blog, I think its a good idea because by doing so you get backlinks in your site so I suggest you to make use of Web 2.0 technologies like facebook and twitter.
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.

chris72
Trust:
eaglecap wrote:A couple of things: when you ask for advice from the general public about something you have created, be ready to withstand 'off the wall' criticism or don't ask for it in the first place. Like James said, don't take it personally and just shrug it off. I also like what Margene said about accepting a mentor's advice, that is good advice.

Wouldn't adding a blog on a subdomain linking back to your main site be helpful, SEO wise?

C.A. Perez

Have to agree with Carlos here. Yes some advice might be 'off the wall' but then you were the one who wanted feedback (for free) and these people have taken the time to give you that feedback. You are obviously an intelligent person and already know what advice is good and what advice that has been given might not suit your style or blog.

If a person has the opinion that your site looks 'spammy' then you have to believe that that is how it looks to them. It does not mean that everyone views it that way, but they have taken the time to go to your site and look at it for you and give you an honest opinion. I wish that more people in this field would do the same!

You have come out of it with a couple of key points to improve your site - so what harm was done?
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

rob3
Trust:
Good advice is mostly based on a ratio of knowledge and experience. Someone seeking advice makes a subjective decision as to what they choose to believe or act on.

In the process, we become more knowledgeable and experienced.

In short, gut instinct and credibility is what needs to be looked at before you follow advice.

On the internet, this process is further complicated by a wealth of bad information, redundancy, and greed.

The good news is that the good people are out there and there is hope.

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Put more weight on advice given by experts. They already know what works :)

I agree that adding a blog would help your site. If you want to see threads on this, please go to the following links:

Adding a blog to static website

How To Build An Authority Site?

Creating Blogs to get Back Links, is that ok?

How do I add blog and twitter rss feeds to my website
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
When I'm on a forum, I'll pay more attention to those on the forum with a high post count than with a low one, particularly in the make money niche. Why? Because if they care to stick around in a forum and keep helping people, they know a thing or two about what they're talking about. Often, someone with a low post count will make a comment just to get a link and won't really know what the $%%#$% they're talking about..

Not that someone with a low post count can't have great advice or someone with a high post count can't have bad advice...

Basically, I'll pay more attention to those who have built trust with me than with those who haven't.

As to a font making a site look dishonest... it may not have been the font that made him feel that way, but that's what he noticed for some reason and he must have thought it was cheesy. Which, unless it was heavily using Comic Sans or some other crazy font (which are fine, in headers, when appropriate and fit the theme of the site, but not as general text), I doubt it really matters what font you use.

The key to remember, with all advice, is that it's someone else's suggestion. What you do with it is up to you.
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

This topic was started on Sep 06, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.