Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

How do you "Backup Your Online Business"

rubanz
Trust:

How do you "Backup Your Online Business"

I've noticed that as our online businesses grow, in many cases this means an increase in the number of assets (i.e. websites) you own. Part of my philosophy is to never keep all of your eggs in one basket, so I have two different hosting accounts with various domains and sites on each. Of course, we all have boat loads of important digital property on our hard-drives as well.

I'm sure there are many ways to back everything up - and you MUST back everything up unless you are able to sleep soundly at night knowing that a hard drive crash can be the downfall of your business (it happened to me...luckily early on in my internet career so not too much was lost), or that all of your digital revenue properties depend on the reliability of third party servers (in my case) located in another country - and I was wondering how someone who is making over $100,000 per month off affiliate websites like Mark backs up "their business" so to speak. I would assume something really elaborate is setup to ensure the safety of Mark Ling's business, for example. If you read this Mark, could you possibly share your experience and advice??

Currently I create backups of my hard-drive, have hand written and digital copies of all my important usernames and passwords, excel spreadsheets of my lists (should anything happen with iContact), and well I'm not really sure if I am backing my sites up properly (in case something were to ever happen with the hosting servers or who knows what)...

It would be interesting if we could all share our thoughts and knowledge about this here!!

Have a good one,
Mike
rubanz
Trust:
Would still be interested in a reply or 2, so bumping this
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I have a double backup system in place. I have a gmail account set up that all my sites email a backup to weekly, I back up my hard drive weekly, and I keep a hard copy and email of all my important doccuments including my excel files, password lists and other important info.

of course I don't have anything on the scale of Mark's (yet) but you can never have too many backups.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
captain
Trust:
Here is how your six figure and seven figure earners backup....

1. Have an exchange server email account, this way you download all emails daily to your pc, plus you have a virtual copy on your exchange server.

2. Have a online backup service where you backup your info daily, use something like www.carbonite.com

3. Have an external drive that does daily backups too, can use synchronizing software like Vica Versa, there are others too, just need to do some research on them. (and purchase the best quality external dirves, not your cheapies)

4. Get a copy of Roboform if you have not got one allready, this will protect all your online passwords and usernames with secure encrypted technology, and cause you are backing up daily online and offline, your passwords will be kept up to date at all times.

5. If you want to go the extra step which is suggested, you make a double backup of your external drive weekly and store that in a different location or property.

The above is just entioned for your own personal emails and info, when you are hitting the 100k plus mark, you will have assistants screening your emails and only forwarding the really important ones to you, they need to follow the above also, and so do all other staff members working in various departments of your business.

Hope that helps!

Morgan

This topic was started on Aug 05, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.