Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

How did this site get to No. 1 in Google?

danadunhill
Trust:

How did this site get to No. 1 in Google?

With all the focus on providing good quality content and providing an optimum user experience, I ran across this website sitting in the #1 position on Google for Revplex Review. http://revplexreview.com/

Most of us spend countless hours writing content and optimizing our websites and then we see this.

I'm interested in what everybody else thinks.

Thanks!
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
This is going on a lot right now. actually, just did a podcast talking about it. Google just did a new update called the Penguin update, and it has made a lot of low quality sites higher in search. it seems that the new algorithm allows for keyword domains to rank really highly regardless of content quality. This anti spam update has been a huge disapointment across a wide range of keywords. Check out this thread on the new Google algorithm

seo/new-panda-tweek-t14157.html
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

danadunhill
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:This is going on a lot right now. actually, just did a podcast talking about it. Google just did a new update called the Penguin update, and it has made a lot of low quality sites higher in search. it seems that the new algorithm allows for keyword domains to rank really highly regardless of content quality. This anti spam update has been a huge disapointment across a wide range of keywords. Check out this thread on the new Google algorithm

seo/new-panda-tweek-t14157.html

Google seems to be sending mixed messages. Captioning from that link you sent...Google states, "And earlier this year we launched a page layout algorithm that reduces rankings for sites that don’t make much content available “above the fold.” That Revplex website has virtually no content, is less than 3 months old and is link stuffed. Very disappointing because sites like that do nothing but encourage replication pushing the good sites down in ranking. Everybody scrambles to compete and then the internet is again full of the very sites that Google has been trying to curtail. We seem to be in a loop.

Thanks for the reply!
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
YEp, they are doing a lot of saying one thing and doing something else. I realized that 3 years ago and quit relying on them for traffic. Now, I focus more effort on direct engagement through blogs, social media, and networking with successful business owners who already have the traffic that I want on my sites.

easyrider
Trust:
I thought that they were moving away from allowing keyword domains to rank, but I think you are right. It also seems that they are favouring authority sites (ones that have a lot of webpages) over smaller sites, despite the merit of the actual page in question.
Greg

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
in some instances you are right, but I have also sseen some small sites (3-5 pages) that are ranking on some keywords that have always been high comptetion, and they are outranking the authority sites.

part of the problem is that we have all this terminology that everyone has their own unique definition for .

just as an example, what do you mean by authority site? when I think of an authority site I look at 2 factors, quantity of content 50+ pages, and level of direct customer engagement, (social proof of quality content, in most cases...) this can be measured in comments, social media shares, etc....

Without both, its really just a big website. there are loads of spam article directories that have loads of spun content that I know google doesn't want ranking as highly as they are, and they have no authority because until now, they have never ranked well enough to get any traffic.

Sadly,, these sites are now dominating search results and Google is still sticking their head in the sand and saying "it only affected 5% of search results"

I haven't sean a single search yet that WASN'T affected by this update.

again, Google is just too unreliable to count on for traffic. that's why I have been shooting penguins this week.

easyrider
Trust:
By authority sites I am meaning sites with a lot of webpages. Especially those with over a thousand.

As you know, I am in the attract men niche. I have been knocked off page 1 by sites like Cosmopolitan. Even some of Mark's relationship sites have appeared more prominently.

They may also be favouring older sites. I have heard people mentioning that they have seen pages from the early 2000s suddenly pop up high in the search rankings.

The exact match also seems to be key now. My best webpage is still on Google page 1 for the exact match of the URL (not the domain part though). Before the latest change this 10 word keyword and a one word variation (changing "man" to "guy") were both around #7 to #8 (on page 1). The exact match term has now lost about one place, but the variation has lost four to five places.

To give a more graphic illustration of this. I was ranking around the top of page 2 for the terms "Signs that a guy likes you" and "Signs he likes you". The first which was an exact match has now dropped to page 3. The second which is the variation has dropped to page 9.
Greg

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
I have several of mine that should be "exact matches" that were dropped. I know when I first converted to a blog, I did some link building (or rather had some done for me) that may have used some of the techniques they've been combating recently, so I don't know if my drops are because of that, but I do know that I went from having about 10 to 15 of my "target keywords" on page 1 to having 1 last time I checked -- and that was actually on a page only a few days old (so it's not all old pages).

I'm going to concentrate on other forms of traffic in May and see if I can improve my traffic and my bounce rate, but I'll keep an eye on my rankings to see what happens there.
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
This is an interesting thread. Google' is acting like a lady (all that mode swings in their search engine, lol). Over analyzing Google can be daunting. Jmpruitt made a point- Google is quite unreliable for traffic- one day you are on top; the next you are not.

With social media sites rising, I guess this is one alternative we can utilize for traffic source.While producing quality content is a good way to attract visitors, spending your time "communicating" in social media sites like Facebook and Twitter as well as being active in related forums is not really a bad idea.
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

This topic was started on Apr 28, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.